Sign in with
Your question

Some graphics card troubles...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 13, 2006 5:10:38 AM

I was hoping I might be able to get a little bit of insight on some issues my girlfriend is having with her new Powercolor Radeon X800GTO on PCI-E. She's had a Dell Dimension 8400 desktop for about two years now, with a pentium 4 3.0ghz processor and 1GB of dual channel DDR2 ram (256x4) and until now she was dealing with a very crappy Radeon X300. We got the x800GTO today and uninstalled the drivers to the old X300 before shutting down the PC and plugging in the new card. The PC then booted up fine and windows showed the new hardware wizard. We skipped over that and got the newest catalyst drivers at ati.com, restarted the computer once more, and loaded up a game (Phantasy Star Universe). We were able to play it for a few minutes before ATI's VPU Recovery tool suddenly shut down the game and we were forced to restart the computer before we could open up anything 3D again. After restarting the computer, we tried World of Warcraft, but this time it was a blue screen of death after playing for a few minutes. It said:

***Hardware malfunction

Call your hardware vendor for support

Parity check/memory parity error

***The system has halted***

This is extremely frustrating. I feel like we might have to RMA the video card and send it back to newegg but I don't want to get another one only to find out it will have the same problems. Also, we tried the outdated drivers on the packaged CD and those provide the same problem. Would anyone have any idea what this could be?

More about : graphics card troubles

November 13, 2006 5:40:36 AM

Quote:
Ok first of all what are your temps? The card might be overheating. It's not uncommon for a video card's HS to get moved a little and not sit on the GPU right.

There is a very slight chance that it's a power issue. Though it is very doubtfull since this is a 1A diffrence between the 2 cards.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how can I check the temperature of my graphics card?
a c 175 U Graphics card
November 13, 2006 6:07:23 AM

Easiest way is to right click on the ATI symbol near your clock. Bring up the advanced view of CCC. Click on "ATI overdrive" and you should see your temp.

Is there really only an amp difference between the x300 and the x800? I would have thought it to be a lot higher.
Related resources
November 13, 2006 6:42:57 AM

Quote:
Easiest way is to right click on the ATI symbol near your clock. Bring up the advanced view of CCC. Click on "ATI overdrive" and you should see your temp.

Is there really only an amp difference between the x300 and the x800? I would have thought it to be a lot higher.

I'm not finding an "ATI overdrive" in the advanced view of the control center. :cry: 
November 13, 2006 8:01:37 AM

If he's running XP Pro X64 I'm not sure that version of Catalyst has it, I haven't found it yet anyway...but I have some more looking to do. :-P Ahh, actually I just realized, I have the X1900 A-I-W card. Maybe that doesn't have the option due to the tuner capability...which I'm mad about because I don't think the tuner works with X64 either. :-(
November 13, 2006 9:07:10 AM

It definitely sounds like a card problem.

Have you tried running 3dmark 2006? Does that error? Do you have another system you could test the card in?
November 13, 2006 1:36:52 PM

I'm running it on two systems. Works fine. I'll probably be getting Vista, and I built the systems this year, so no biggie. I haven't had time to play games, as I've been busy and love to tinker anyway. Besides, most modern hardware has drivers for it. They're still in the works, but right now my system runs pretty darn smooth. While it's true I don't have the capability of some older 32-bit devices and software, I can run future apps. To be honest I thought 64 bit computing would catch on faster, since they were selling so many 64 bit processors...we'll see how Vista X64 sells. I suppose that if they sell it retail and work to make it more compatible we'll be seeing a lot more adaptation and then my old X64bit XP Pro will be worth more than your X32 Home edition. :-P
a c 175 U Graphics card
November 13, 2006 5:14:27 PM

I don't know why its not there, but there are other ways. Search for and download ati traytools. Used by many for overclocking ATI video cards, but we don't want that. Once it installs, right click on the icon near the clock, and select Hardware > System Tray Hardware Monitoring. Click the box for GPU temp, and select whatever color you want. I found the default white to be a bit dull, so if you have normal windows gray as your background, choose something brighter like red. (If you have xp blue, don't pick any shades of blue...) See if that works.
November 13, 2006 8:56:33 PM

It seems like the best thing for me to do would be to test her card in my system and maybe even test my card in her's. I have an ATI Radeon X800 pro so its a similar card.

Also, we found where you can check the temperature but it says 0 degrees.
a c 175 U Graphics card
November 13, 2006 9:03:53 PM

0 degrees? Well obviously that can't be right. Theres either something with the temp probe, or something with the software you used to read it.

Give the x800pro a try, you've got nothing to lose.
!