bache_au

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
What is max safe OC limit without VCore increase on standard HSF assemly for the AM2 single core 3800+ CPU?

Maybe equivalent too 4200+?

If so, 4200+ would be a lot faster in gaming than a dual core 3800+ with no background processess in operation?

bigsby

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
That question is very dependant on things like airflow in your case, if you set your HS/F on perfectly (you can do it correctly but if you do it perfectly you can see a huge drop in temps) your specific chip and if you're lucky or not.

I've got the AM2 dual core 3800+ and I did not have to raise the VCore until 2.45GHz from 2.0GHz, and got to 2.6 after that with a bit of voltage added, though I did have aftermarket cooling. You should not have to raise your voltage ever if you're on stock cooling, because you will run into cooling limitations long before you have any unstability that can be fixed with some added voltage.

The best thing to do would be to watch your temps as you overclock. Pull out some Prime95, download speedfan (or if your motherboard came with a respectable monitor, like PC Probe for Asus) as well as get the program clockgen. Just bring up the clocks a few MHz at a time until you get an error, and then pull back a few ticks. Then run it for a few hours and set it in the bios and do a final Prime test for 24 hours. If there are errors, bring it back until they are no more.

On stock cooling I went from 2.0 to 2.25GHz before cooling was an issue, hopefully that'll be a reference to your, even though yours is single core (which hopefully for you means it'll clock higher with less heat, friend is sitting at 3.05 GHz with a 3700+)

Note though that you should've put this thread in the CPU overclocking forum instead of the general CPU forum.