Sign in with
Your question

Sonicwall(in transparent mode) VPN with DSL router.

Last response: in Networking
February 27, 2006 1:45:04 PM

I don't know where to start. I inherited a client that has a unique setup. The VPN is activated on the firewall, but I can't access it. I am new to this WAN/Firewall/VPN stuff so I am no IP expert, barely a beginner.

Setup is

Workstations and Servers >> SonicWall TZ 170 >> DSL Router >>Internet >>Cable modem >> Lynksys router >> My home PC

The sonic wall is in transparent mode so I think NAT is disabled and the DSL router does the NAT and DHCP.

The sonic wall has the VPN license and it is enabled. I have the client on my home PC. It just doesn't connect via the public address.

Here is were my knowledge is lacking. Do I need to open ports on the DSL router? Which ones? Will the sonic wall vpn work if NAT is being done in the router?

I wouldn't mind forgetting about the VPN if I could Remote desktop in, but I forwarded ports 3389(on the dsl router) to a static pc and that didn't work either. Then I tried to forward the dsl ports to the Sonicwall then making a rule forwarding 3389 to the static pc, but that didn't work.

I think I lack a few pieces of knowledge of whats going on with transparent mode and how the router and firewall react with each other.

If anyone could give me any insight i would appreciate it.
February 28, 2006 1:42:44 PM

Was this setup working before. If it was working before and you are the new variable in the mix.. then I start with your setup ... make sure you are passing protocol 50 through your setup.

Transparent mode just means that the Sonic is acting as a bridge with firewall capabilities at layer 2.
March 3, 2006 1:04:37 PM

VPN was never working. I don't think protocol 50 is being passed, I am not even familiar with what it is. How do I setup protocol 50?

If the sonic firewall is acting as a bridge will it stop the port forwarding from the dsl router. If I could get RDP going I could support their emergencies while I research and figure out the darn VPN.
March 3, 2006 5:37:50 PM

If it was not working before... i would reconfigure it so that the Sonic becomes a layer 3 device. Basically, putting a switch/router behind the sonic, using the ADSL broadband bridge as a layer 2 device and assigning a public to the SONIC outside interface. The Sonic would get a public IP address and terminate the VPN session on it. This is a site to site VPN. The SONIC would nat the internal network for Internet access, however, this also presents issues with split tunneling.

Quote:
VPN was never working. I don't think protocol 50 is being passed, I am not even familiar with what it is. How do I setup protocol 50?

If the sonic firewall is acting as a bridge will it stop the port forwarding from the dsl router. If I could get RDP going I could support their emergencies while I research and figure out the darn VPN.
!