Directory tree

How do I display and print a complete directory tree with expanded folders
and showing each file. Just trying to get better organized for 2005.

Tim
8 answers Last reply
More about directory tree

    Ok, Here's what you do. Go to start, run, type in cmd. Then type format c:
    ad you're ready to go. :) Hope this helped.

    I'm not very technical but how does formatting the C: drive give me a list of
    the files on my drive?

    Tim

    "Carch" wrote:

    > Ok, Here's what you do. Go to start, run, type in cmd. Then type format c:
    > ad you're ready to go. :) Hope this helped.

    Good for you, Tim, it doesn't. Ignore Carch or any other name under which
    you see such advice.

    You can print a directory tree with a command line, see the following:
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/tree.mspx

    However, my guess is you'd prefer a simple way of achieving this and there
    are several free utilities that can handle this, just do a search on Google.
    Many of them will print and display the full tree with all nested folders.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    Lyonstexas wrote:
    > How do I display and print a complete directory tree with expanded folders
    > and showing each file. Just trying to get better organized for 2005.
    >
    > Tim

    From the command prompt (Start > Run > Cmd.exe), simply change to the
    desired directory and type "dir > filelist.txt" or "dir > lpt1," just as
    you used to do in DOS. Any of the switches for the DIR command (type
    "dir /?") will work with this command, if you wish to modify the
    output. You can then subsequently edit the resulting text file using
    NotePad, WordPad, Word, etc.

    Alternatively:

    HOW TO Add a Print Directory Feature for Folders in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379

    To print the directory structure, substitute the "Tree" command for the
    "Dir" command. "Tree" doesn't have quite as many options (type "Tree
    /?") as "Dir," but you may find it useful.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    One of the free utilities is..........

    Printfolder 1.2 from.....

    http://no-nonsense-software.com/freeware/

    I use PF 1.2 and find it to be more than adequate with custom features.

    Gord

    On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 21:51:00 -0800, "Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP\)"
    <user@#notme.com> wrote:

    >Good for you, Tim, it doesn't. Ignore Carch or any other name under which
    >you see such advice.
    >
    >You can print a directory tree with a command line, see the following:
    >http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/tree.mspx
    >
    >However, my guess is you'd prefer a simple way of achieving this and there
    >are several free utilities that can handle this, just do a search on Google.
    >Many of them will print and display the full tree with all nested folders.

    basically he`s being a smartass, saying if you format your C drive, then
    there is nothing to organize, all your problems are fixed. Just wish we
    could block those types of people, unfortunately there are those out there
    that would try to that, fortunately, Windows won`t let you do that.

    Jeff

    "Lyonstexas" <Lyonstexas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm not very technical but how does formatting the C: drive give me a list
    > of
    > the files on my drive?
    >
    > Tim
    >
    > "Carch" wrote:
    >
    >> Ok, Here's what you do. Go to start, run, type in cmd. Then type format
    >> c:
    >> ad you're ready to go. :) Hope this helped.

  7. 408-936-8888
  8. Use Print directory to print the directory listing to a file..

    Find Here : http://www.print-directory.com

Tim Microsoft Windows XP Displays