overclocking an intel mobo?

kezs

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2006
so, I bought my new computer sort of in a hurry... and got an Intel DG965RY mobo cause that's what they had. :oops:

I got the core 2 duo e6400 and it seems such a good overclocker that I feel it's a waste not to oc it, at least about 20%... but it's an intel mobo and I can't set it at least through the current bios.

is there a way either through a bios update or an OC software? I know clockgen won't, at least for now...

thanks.

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Not really. Intel boards are usually for stability purposes....overclocking with them is like trying to buy nutritional food at Mcdonalds....not gonna happen

kezs

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2006
hey raven.

yeah, so it seems. it's ok... the e6400 is a pretty fast processor anyway. and I'll comfort myself in that the mobo will never stall on me :p

thanks for the reply.

grizzman

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
kezs, does your board not come with intel desktop control center? It allows FSB overclocking. Can you go into the bios and change the FSB? I have the 975XBX and it allows FSB changes. If so, you could get at least 15-20% OC with no problem, especially with the cooler running C2D processor.

kezs

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2006
grizzman,

yes there's the intel desktop control center, but, at least after a quick look, I didn't see anything about boosting the clock... and I can't set either the FSB or the multiplier through the bios. I think the 975XBX is specifically designed for overclocking... something about being "bad axe" or whatever :p

thanks for the input.

pivi97

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2006
Besides changing the memory speed in the BIOS the only thing that you can do: unhide the FSB speed setting and CPU multiplier menu point in the BIOS using the Intel Integrator Toolkit http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/software/itk/.
I have never tried to change it and update the BIOS. You have to be very careful using this option.

kezs

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2006
hey pivi
so basically what I'm gonna do is... I'm gonna redo my current bios so it'll enable me to change fsb and multiplier numbers, right?

cool :)

I'll look into that when I have time, cause it seems somewhat complicated...

thanks a lot for the tip.

kezs

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2006
so, I opened a bios file for my dg965ry using ITK... and I see there's a setting for the processor multiplier under the maintenance menu... but it says the standard setting is 14. I can change it there, and I guess I could save it and flash my mobo, but isn't the standard multiplier for the e6400 8 rather than 14?

:?:

pivi97

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2006
I didn't update my BIOS because I wasn't sure what have to do. If you don't have a good idea I recommend not doing anything. You have a fast and stable computer anyway.