Sign in with
Your question

SCSI Newbie Struggling - How to fit 2x Seagate Cheetahs...

Last response: in Storage
November 13, 2006 10:49:49 AM

Recently, I purchased a couple of SCSI disks on the spur of the moment. They're 73GB Seagate Cheetah SCA Ultra320 SCSI 80pin Drives and now i'm left with the task of fitting them to a desktop system.

I have a Abit AN8 SLI S939 board to work with and the only thing i'm aware of is that I'll need to buy a controller card to give me some SCSI connectivity (presumably using the standard pci interface?). I'd like to run the two drives together in RAID 0 as I do a bit of video and audio editing with the machine.

I realise you experts in this field probably get this all the time but please humour me if possible :) 
I've scoured the net but really can't get my head around it. :( 
When it comes to CPU, RAM, and general issues I can give great advice but these things are a whole new ball game to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
November 13, 2006 3:13:01 PM

Richard:

How much are you willing to spend and are you using both PCIe x16 slots? If not, do you plan too?
Answer those questions and we can better direct you, but in general if you are looking to run only one array with two drive you could get a Adaptec 29329lpr single channel card relatively cheap, but you could also look into a PCIe Controller card that will give you much more bandwidth than PCI 2.0 and similar performance to PCI-x 133 bus without changing anything on your system.
November 16, 2006 7:59:27 AM

Firstly, cheers for the answer and apologies I haven't been able to make my way back to the thread sooner.

I'll only be using one of the PCIx x16 slots and have one PCIx1 ones free. I honestly wasn't sure if I could use one to run my graphics card, and the other for a high bandwidth card.

Basically, I want to spend as little as possible. Same old lame story I guess. I just thought a RAID 0 setup of the two drives would give a real kick for some of my apps.

The alternative of course, is for me to sell the drives and buy another raptor :D  But would that be vastly slower?
November 16, 2006 9:26:19 AM

Quote:
Recently, I purchased a couple of SCSI disks on the spur of the moment. They're 73GB Seagate Cheetah SCA Ultra320 SCSI 80pin Drives and now i'm left with the task of fitting them to a desktop system.

I have a Abit AN8 SLI S939 board to work with and the only thing i'm aware of is that I'll need to buy a controller card to give me some SCSI connectivity (presumably using the standard pci interface?). I'd like to run the two drives together in RAID 0 as I do a bit of video and audio editing with the machine.

I realise you experts in this field probably get this all the time but please humour me if possible :) 
I've scoured the net but really can't get my head around it. :( 
When it comes to CPU, RAM, and general issues I can give great advice but these things are a whole new ball game to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

HI richard: If you are determined to get into SCSI,then go to adaptec.com...,I'm sure that you will find a wealth of info and links to get you started,at least they used to a few years ago..of course there are other SCSI sites but adaptec used to pride themselves on their database and SCSI knowledge,,no I do not work for them,just that way back when I had some run ins with some SCSI ,LARGE,systems,,.. I'm reasonably sure that you will eventually gain some familiarity and maybe even mastery of your SCSI stuff,and maybe even have some phun in the process...G'Luck.....
November 16, 2006 10:09:07 AM

The Raptor wouldn't be vastly slower, just marginally slower in most test. SCSI pulls ahead in other test, but the average becomes marginal. I would suggest that if your savvy with PC setups to get your hands on a Perc 4e/dc or if you have the cash you can get a new oem LSI 320-2E. These are identical cards, but the Dell model can be scored for about 160 buck, where the true LSI model is around 500. If you go the dell route you'll need to do some reading on how to modify the oem setup and ini files so XP will recognize the driver. As it is now it only supports Vista and W2k3 Server.
But either route you go, SCSI\SATA RAPTOR, you'll be pleased with the results. I prefer scsi, only because for what I do and price i get the drive and controllers at, it just makes sense.
Cheers.
November 16, 2006 9:31:32 PM

Firstly, thanks to both of you for your help, it's been most enlightening!

Unfortunately, the cost of the controller + other bits and bats is just too much for me at the moment! However, I am interested in the subject, and when funds allow I may have a play at setting up a couple of smaller, older drives in another project.

I now officially have these 2 drives for sale, I just can't be bothered putting them on ebay yet :) 
If anybody is interested, you can always pm me. (Mods feel free to delete this if I'm not allowed to infer the fact I'm offering them for sale :D  )
November 18, 2006 11:10:35 AM

Since nobody has reprimanded me... the drives are available at £80 + P&P each or £160 inc P&P for the pair. If anybody is interested, just PM me and we'll go from there. I also have an ebay account with excellent feedback, so I could login there and send you a message to prove authenticity. :) 
December 24, 2006 6:26:27 PM

Just a shameless bump to say the drives are now available on ebay. I doubt I'm allowed to provide a link but if anybody wishes to pm me for the details, you're more than welcome.

Also, thanks once again for everyones help on this thread. :) 

And Merry Christmas :wink:
!