Computer start up help

felthas

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2006
I've completed my build and started it up. I don't hear any speaker sounds, the HDD light and the CD drive light blink opposite one another like it's searching for something. I dont hear the floppy drive being accessed but that could be because it's quiet. I cannot turn it off by the switch and have to turn off the power supply directly. I've set the CD to "cable select", I've checked all the connections. No picture shows up on my screen either.

Any suggestions? I'm using a USB keyboard and mouse, I dont know if that's relevant.

600 Watt Silverstone PSU
Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe
E6800
Stock fan
2048MB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-1066
1024MB ASUS NVIDIA® GeForce™ 7950 GX2
2 x 320GB Western Digital WD3200KS 7200rpm SATA/300

zjohnr

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
FWIW, my suggestion would be to take it down to an absolute basic config and see if you can get to the BIOS screen. Disconnect the HD & CD & floppy and use only 1 stick of RAM. Remove all PCI cards.

If you have more than 1 stick of RAM, try each by itself sequentially.

BTW, the PC not turning off when your press the power button might not be a problem. Try pressing and holding the power button for at least 5 seconds and see if it powers off then.

-john

felthas

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2006
I guess i should take it out of the chassis too. It's difficult to get to the parts. :wink:

There are two DVI ports on my graphics card, the ASUS manual doesn't say which one to connect to?

Thank you for all your help

Which DVI port you connect to should not make a difference.

Try replacing the battery on the motherboard. Sometimes they ship motherboards with low batteries and you cannot see anything untill you change the $5.00 battery.

TRENDING THREADS