Questions for owners of the Asus P5W DH Deluxe

GhostX

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2005
Hi there guys :)

Nope I am not having malfunctions with the mainboard like so many threads seem to be. I plugged it in and it works like a champ. I have it configured with all my gear. I do have a couple questions though.

1. My memory modules are set to PC5300 when the thing powers up. I was poking around the BIOS and cant find the location or how to put them up to the correct level. Can you help me out? Here is the type of modules I am running.

OCZ Platinum Revision 2 DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel

2. When it powers up it seems to take a while at the POST since its detecting the drives and everything. Is there a way to bypass the auto detect? It seems a shame to hurt my load times with the same thing every time I turn on the machine.

Thanks a ton.

KOne

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2004
in the bios you need to go to jumperfree config and set it to manual. then you will see the memory settings and set it to 533 wich will make your memory run 1:1 ratios. if you want to run higher memory to cpu ratio just set it higher. if you jump it up to high it might make your pc unstable.

there are to ways to get your memory to the rated speed. overclock the cpu with 1:1 ratio or set memory to a higher ratio and leave the cpu at stock speed.

KOne

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2004
2. When it powers up it seems to take a while at the POST since its detecting the drives and everything. Is there a way to bypass the auto detect? It seems a shame to hurt my load times with the same thing every time I turn on the machine.

for faster boot times try disabling some things in the bios that you don't need such as some of the fan sensors.

AKJ

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
Leave your RAM at 533MHz if you dont plan to OC. A 1:1 Ratio is better. I set my RAM to 667 MHz and my 3D Mark scores were slightly lower than when my RAM was at 533MHz.

Instead, tighten your timings. In the jumperless configuration, disable the "Configure DRAM by SPD". Then set your clock cycles manually to whatever your RAM can handle.

Mine is at 4-4-4-8. @533MHz

GhostX

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2005
I read that they should have the voltage set to 2.1V which still didnt change it from PC5300.. I will take the suggestions you guys put here and look at it tonight.

The timings per the purchase were 4-4-4-15

Is that good?

G

DDRII-800 with CL4 is really good ram, you might be able to run it at CL3 timming while in DDRII-533 speed.

You need to set the RAM speed manually, putting the at 2.1V is the first step then you can try to up the FSB with minor increment(5-10). I actually advice you to use Wusy overclocking guide. depending on what CPU you got, you can extract some nice performance out of that board.

As mentionned 1:1 is better, if you run you RAM anything faster then (266 DDR so 533) you will be Ocing your CPU wich is fine, Core 2 duo like it!
If you just want your ram running at 800 without OCing the CPU you need a memory divider, I think it would be 2:3.

GhostX

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2005
So if I set my memory to 533... I am OC'ing the PC? I thought the memory was 6400 and thus wouldnt need to be changed or anything.. the mainboard is compatable with the memory PC800 is what it recommends.

I dont want to start OC'in the machine and hurt my memory or the CPU..

Not sure why I would need to OC or use a 3rd party tool to get what is advertised by the memory and the mainboard?

G

I never mentionned a 3rd party tool!

Ok, all ram will default at 1.8v and DDR-533 because that's what the core 2 duo use, and is compatible with almost any ram.

OCing wont damage your CPU much less your memory.

To run the ram at DDRII-800 without OCing, you need to set memory voltage at 2.1V.
And I don't have a P5W-DH handy so I can't tell you the exact setting. Probably have to set the Front Side bus at 400 with a 2:3 memory divider. Someone with a P5W-DH or at least with the user manual, which Im to lazy to download can help you.

Sheepish

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
Nice handy thread, thanks guys, picking up my P5W DHD tomorrow. Already have 2gb Geil PC6400 C4 and i plan on overclocking the shit out of it on air :twisted: Now i know why it'll initially detect my ram as 533 (once i pick up a cheap c2d).

KOne

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2004
if you want it to say 6400 on boot, up the divider in the jumperfree section in the bios to the next step up from 533(1:1). to a higher ratio such as 2:3-3:4 etc...

KOne

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2004
don't have a P5W-DH handy so I can't tell you the exact setting. Probably have to set the Front Side bus at 400 with a 2:3 memory divider. Someone with a P5W-DH or at least with the user manual, which Im to lazy to download can help you.

if he puts the front side bus at 400 it probably won't even boot that would set the cpu to 4.0ghz and the ram way past 1066. thats a very high overclock

G

DDRII-800 = 400mhz Double data rate, with a memory divider of 2:3 it would keep the CPU clock at 266 while putting the ram at 800, it's specified speed.
My last mobo worked like that, you upped the FSB and used the divider to 'slow it down' for the CPU

(?)
On another side maybe some motherboard keep the 266 FSB and use the divider to put more speed on the ram? maybe thats what you meant...?

Thats why I said to ask an owner of P5W-Dh, never oced with one of these...

He did not mention his CPU, a E6600 would be at 3.6 with a 400mhz FSB...

KOne

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2004
i think he mentioned having a 6700. what i'm running a 6600 at 400 right now with 1:1 ratio = 3.6 cpu and 800 mem or 6400. with a 266 fsb he needs something like a 4:5

G

Page 97

In the bios, advanced, jumperfree,

Then I think you put AI Overclocking to manual
Then under CPU Frequency you put 266
and under DRam Frequency you put DDR2-800
with 2.1V and you're all set, might want to set the SPD value to.

No need for any multiplier or all that on that mobo!

G

Euh well thanks, had a little spare time!
Use CPU-Z if you haven't done so to make sure everything is fine!

AKJ

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
If you set your FSB at 400, you can set your multiplier to 6. That would give you a "safe" 2.4GHz CPU speed, which is slightly less than stock (2.403), but it should perform way better because your RAM is running at a higher speed, with a 1:1 ratio.

But i still say that you should leave your RAM running at 533MHz, but really tighten up those timings to CL3 or something, cause you have good RAM chips. Im not sure about upping the voltages though. You must remember, the higher the voltage, the more heat your system will generate. So, for optimum stability, peace of mind and a long system lifespan; leave everything at default.. The only thing you CAN safely do is tighten your timings because your RAM is rated to run at CL4 at 800MHz. So you can lower the CL rating if you running at 533MHz. Use CPU-Z to check the manufacturers SPD "recommendations".

ruusnak

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
I have the same RAM as you, but running E6600. I'm running FSB356 (3.2 GHz) at stock voltages, except RAM, which is set at 2.2 V (that does not void the warranty of those modules).
After running some performance tests (PCMark and Sandra) using 1:1 and 4:5 ratios I ended up using the latter, because 4:5 (5-6-6-19) worked without increasing any other voltages, 1:1 with tighter timings (4-4-4-15) required increasing CPU/FSB/ICHM voltages before I could even boot the system. And benchmark results were essentially the same

GhostX

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2005
I set it to PC2 6400 last night and put the timings to 4-4-4-15. Everything is working awesome now. I spoke with a tech at OCZ to get the dirt.

Thanks everyone for your help :)