GPU Recommendation for 30" LCD

Currently I'm running 2 Viewsonic VP930B displays side by side and am considerting buying the Dell 3007WTP 30" screen today but will also need to upgrade my GPU. Major sale!

Probably not as high end of a display but I may not notice as I'm not a gamer.

The card will need dual link support and be able to push 2560x1600.

What is the best GPU for the money?

Will use for Vista and mainly for business applications, light image work.

Thanks in advance for any opinions or recommendations.
40 answers Last reply
More about recommendation quot
  1. If your not going to be doing any gaming at all then any gpu that supports Dual-Link DVI will be able to run a 30" monitor,

Here are some cards that support Dual-Link DVI

SAPPHIRE Radeon X1600XT 256MB

MSI GeForce 7600GS 256MB

I assumed that you had a motherboard with a pci-express slot, not sure if there are many out there for much more cheaper

There are plenty out there that are more powerful but since this is business only you will not need it
  2. i've run into this misconception a lot recently. i'm not sure why people have it.

a video card doesn't care what monitor is plugged into it, and vice versa. you do not net some sort of high powered video card to "run" a large display.

the only thing you need to care about is running at that particular resolution, find a card that will do that resolution and nothing else much matters (as long as you aren't gaming or photoshopping)
  3. Quote:
    i've run into this misconception a lot recently. i'm not sure why people have it.

a video card doesn't care what monitor is plugged into it, and vice versa. you do not net some sort of high powered video card to "run" a large display.

the only thing you need to care about is running at that particular resolution, find a card that will do that resolution and nothing else much matters (as long as you aren't gaming or photoshopping)

Well it seems you've not read what the OP wanted...

He wants to get a 30" Dell 3007WFP which as you can see requires a Dual Link DVI supported card.

So this is no misconception, it is a resolution a 2560x1600 and both the Dell and Apple 30" monitors require Dual Link DVI, so yes it does matter what card he needs
  4. i don't have experience running that resolution, but from what i've read, any dual link card should suffice. The guy above recommended some decent cards. If you are buying a 1300 dollar monitor, the price for a cheap video card may not matter. But, you can go even cheaper then the x1600 series. Any x1000 series will as they are all dual link. So you can get a x1300 which is cheaper.
  5. Thanks for the responses!

I will probably stick with nVidia for this monitor as I read there are some plugins developed by dell and nVidia for further fine tuning.

I'm not too concerned about the budget after all this is a $1300 monitor - but I don't want to waste money either.

Wish I had time to game - maybe one day. Photoshop work is very light and nothing serious.
  6. Most new cards have Dual-DVI.

To simply "run" 2560x1600, as in for multi-tasking, any card will do.

To play games at a good framerate, u will need at least a 500$ GPU - 8800 GTS is the best value thusly. You could also get a cheaper 300$ GPU, but the 8800 GTS has twice the performance of any card that came before it, so its the best value.
  7. Quote:
    Most new cards have Dual-DVI.

To play games at a good framerate, u will need at least a 500$ GPU - 8800 GTS is the best value thusly. You could also get a cheaper 300$ GPU, but the 8800 GTS has twice the performance of any card that came before it, so its the best value.

The card has to support Dual Link DVI, this does not apply to all Dual DVI out cards

Quote:
    i don't have experience running that resolution, but from what i've read, any dual link card should suffice. The guy above recommended some decent cards. If you are buying a 1300 dollar monitor, the price for a cheap video card may not matter. But, you can go even cheaper then the x1600 series. Any x1000 series will as they are all dual link. So you can get a x1300 which is cheaper.

Not all X1k series cards are Dual Link DVI supported, actually many below the X1600XT (i.e. the X1600PRO) are not Dual Link DVI
  8. sorry man. wrong. check the ati website. http://apps.ati.com/ATIcompare/result.asp

Compare any video cards you like. I just compared the x1600 pro, since you mentioned it, the x1300 and x1300 pro. according to ATI's own website, those 3 cards all have dual link dvi.
  9. Quote:
    sorry man. wrong. check the ati website. http://apps.ati.com/ATIcompare/result.asp

Compare any video cards you like. I just compared the x1600 pro, since you mentioned it, the x1300 and x1300 pro. according to ATI's own website, those 3 cards all have dual link dvi.

Look at these search results. 83 X1XXX cards with only 1 DVI port. Here are some additional cards:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143046
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814103016

Make sense? So, IcY18 has a valid point.
  10. Quote:
    Most new cards have Dual-DVI.

The card has to support Dual Link DVI, this does not apply to all Dual DVI out cards

Quote:
    i don't have experience running that resolution, but from what i've read, any dual link card should suffice. The guy above recommended some decent cards. If you are buying a 1300 dollar monitor, the price for a cheap video card may not matter. But, you can go even cheaper then the x1600 series. Any x1000 series will as they are all dual link. So you can get a x1300 which is cheaper.

Not all X1k series cards are Dual Link DVI supported, actually many below the X1600XT (i.e. the X1600PRO) are not Dual Link DVI

Whats the difference beetween Dual-DVI and Dual Link-DVI?
  11. There are several price ranges in searching for 7800GS dual link 256MB cards.

Why the great disparity?
  12. Quote:

Dual-Link allows you to connect 2 DVI ports up to single monitor. I wasn't aware that they made Dual-DVI cards without dual-link capabilities, but that is what Icy is referring to: A card with 2 DVI ports but no ability to hook the 2 ports up to a single monitor (to hit native resolution needed on 30" monitor). Make sense?
  13. Quote:

Dual-Link allows you to connect 2 DVI ports up to single monitor. I wasn't aware that they made Dual-DVI cards without dual-link capabilities, but that is what Icy is referring to: A card with 2 DVI ports but no ability to hook the 2 ports up to a single monitor (to hit native resolution needed on 30" monitor). Make sense?

So ur saying that u need to use 2 DVI ports for 1 monitor??
    I didnt think 2560x1600 was THAT needy.

And why would anyone want 25x16 when u can have 20x15, wich has more support and better performance.
    I doubt u can see the other end of the screen with a 30" monitor, and i dont see why ppl choose to buy it..
  14. Quote:
    There are several price ranges in searching for 7800GS dual link 256MB cards.

Why the great disparity?

Some of it is just paying for a label. But, if you look at clock speeds of the 7800GSs on Newegg, you'll notice that the cheapest card there (BFG 229, on sale) runs at 400MHz, while the most expensive (eVGA, 299) runs at 430MHz and is not on sale.

So, you have to look at the speed the cards are running at and be careful. BTW, you have AGP or PCIE?
  15. wow. you couldn't be more wrong. check your facts before you give advice. Dual dvi means that there are two dvi ports on the video card instead of one dvi and one vga. Dual-Link Dvi is completely different. A normal dvi connection doesn't have enough bandwith to support digital resolutions above 1920x1200. I don't know technically how they do it, but dual link dvi is basically a "dual" connection in one port. It increases the bandwith so that that high resolutions, specifically 2560x1600 can be outputted from the video card. You really need to check your facts before you start rattling off incorrect information.
  16. http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1907752,00.asp

in that article, "Note that the display has only a single, dual-link DVI input. You'll need to use a graphics card that supports dual-link DVI. Dell includes a dual-link DVI cable with the monitor. This doubles the bandwidth available to the display, which is required to drive 4 megapixels. Most high-end and a few midrange cards now support dual-link DVI, including the GeForce 7800GT and GTX, plus the ATI X1600 and X1800 series graphics cards. The DVI input also supports HDCP content protection, for future use with Windows Vista as well as connectivity to digital set-top boxes and future high-definition optical drives. However, no high-definition input source supports more than 1920x1080 pixels."

it explains exactly what i just said. not to mention the fact that the dell 30 inch only has one dvi port, but its obviously dual link. this should put an end to the dual link question.
  17. Quote:
    http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1907752,00.asp

in that article, "Note that the display has only a single, dual-link DVI input. You'll need to use a graphics card that supports dual-link DVI. Dell includes a dual-link DVI cable with the monitor. This doubles the bandwidth available to the display, which is required to drive 4 megapixels. Most high-end and a few midrange cards now support dual-link DVI, including the GeForce 7800GT and GTX, plus the ATI X1600 and X1800 series graphics cards. The DVI input also supports HDCP content protection, for future use with Windows Vista as well as connectivity to digital set-top boxes and future high-definition optical drives. However, no high-definition input source supports more than 1920x1080 pixels."

it explains exactly what i just said. not to mention the fact that the dell 30 inch only has one dvi port, but its obviously dual link. this should put an end to the dual link question.

I know exactly what your saying but sometimes manufacturers like Asus or Sapphire doesn't implement Dual-Link DVI on all of their products.

On any of the graphics cards that come with a VGA and a DVI port they do not specify that they have to dual link capability. Unfortunately your link led me to a blank page so i could not see what it actually said but whether or not it has DVI+VGA or DVI+DVI it has to explicitly say it supports Dual Link DVI, which after looking at a few of those cards that have DVI+VGA it does not state that it has Dual Link capability. So what i said still stands true that most manufacturers do not implement Dual-Link DVI on such low end cards...
  18. That actually does make sense. For some reason I thought dual-link actually meant 2 cables. I wiki'd it and they have pin outs for both and it makes sense now. My bad for posting BS.
  19. Here is a list of graphic cards that expicitly say they support Dual-Link DVI

Dual-Link DVI Graphic Cards

It is just coincidence that they are all Dual DVI also but it just seems like manufacturers don't implement Dual Link DVI on cards with VGA+DVI outputs...i know its possible i just don't see one on newegg, although i'm sure you could find one :wink:
  20. Quote:
    Here is a list of graphic cards that expicitly say they support Dual-Link DVI

Dual-Link DVI Graphic Cards

It is just coincidence that they are all Dual DVI also but it just seems like manufacturers don't implement Dual Link DVI on cards with VGA+DVI outputs...i know its possible i just don't see one on newegg, although i'm sure you could find one :wink:

Yeah... that's what confused me. Every dual-link card I've seen was also dual DVI. This quote sums it up (and also what you were saying about some manufacturers not enabling dual-link):

Quote:
    To the impulsive buyers who might order the screen after the previous paragraph: check if your video card is compatible with the display. Talking to people around me, I noticed that there was a bit of confusion about what “Dual-Link” is. Many people are mixing up Dual-Link and Dual-DVI.

Dual DVI means that there are two DVI connectors on your graphics card. Each of these connector might be Dual-Link or not. Explained with plain words, the single-link DVI connection can carry enough information to build a 1920x1080 pixels image at 60hz. Dual-link DVI doubles the bandwidth and therefore allows a 2560x1600 image to be send from the computer at a frequency of 60hz (or 60 images per seconds).

A single dual-link DVI connector is required to use the maximum resolution of this screen. If a dual-link is not present, a 1280x1024 pixels image will be displayed. Make sure that you connect the monitor on the proper DVI connector as most dual-link cards have two DVI connectors, one of which is not dual-link capable. Note that it is possible to get a dual-dual-Link graphics card capable of driving two 3007WFP monitors (!).

One last point: we used a 7800GT. While all the 7800 chips are dual-link capable, it is something that’s enabled or not by the card manufacturer. Make sure that your card is dual-link capable.

Source: http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2006/02/dell_3007wfp_on_dell_2001fp_action_8_megapixel_desktop.html
  21. Quote:

Actually all X1K have at least 1 dual-link DVI, because its TMDS is integrated into the VPU itself, in order to not have at least the 1 dual link DVI, they would need to add an external single link TMDS in addition (and not as a second output) I highly doubt any company would bother with that added expense.
    All X1K have at least 1 dual link/TMDS DVI connection, some models like the X1600 series have a second external dual link added, and some like the X1900 series have 2 dual link TMDS built into the VPU.

EDIT: PS, that NewEgg list only comprises those that bothered to add dual link DVI in their description, and as we all know the descriptions on NewEgg can be pretty messed up. :wink:
  22. Gee... My video cards can run 2500 x 1620, but my dell 2405 seems to have a misconception....
  23. Quote:

Actually all X1K have at least 1 dual-link DVI, because its TMDS is integrated into the VPU itself, in order to not have at least the 1 dual link DVI, they would need to add an external single link TMDS in addition (and not as a second output) I highly doubt any company would bother with that added expense.
    All X1K have at least 1 dual link/TMDS DVI connection, some models like the X1600 series have a second external dual link added, and some like the X1900 series have 2 dual link TMDS built into the VPU.
    But not all X1300s support resolution of 2560x1600 for some reason. Check these out:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814161046
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814125027
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814127193

Top one supports 2560x1600, but for some reason the bottom 2 only support 2048x1536 (which I believe would still have to be dual-link DVI to support that res). Why is that?
  24. I don't know what that Dell app does for the nVidia cards (may be something other cards already do), but if you want an nVidia card I would suggest you look hard at the options, unfortunately the GF7 series doesn't have the same level of dual-link support. They also list 'dual-link' capability but many times that's from an external dual link TMDS to be added later by the board partner so he GF7300 isn't so easy to figure out.

The GF7600 series (including the GF7300GT which is a GF7600 at heart) all have 1 integrated dual-link TMDS and 1 single-link, so you are secure with those.

I would recommend the following the GF7300GT, plain GF7600, GF7600GS.

I would also suggest getting a passive heatsink as the long term reliability concerns are better with those, and since you're not concerned with heavy 3D then you don't need to overclock so the passive heatsink will be quiet and reliable.

Here's and example;
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814125036

And for a few buck more a GF7600GS;
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814125028

That should give you a starting point idea.
  25. It's a different 'default' for QXGA over the VGA connector instead of QUXGA, and really just a typo from someone who doesn't know the difference.

If it's DVI on anything above 1920x1200 then it's dual-link, Dual-link max @ 60hz is 25x16 , VGA /DB-15 can go higher than the 20x15, it's just the 'old standard' for the 400mhz RAMDACs and that number is actually @ 85hz, not 60hz.

A Helpful resource for many people;
    http://www.tomshardware.com/2004/11/29/the_tft_connection/page7.html
  26. Ah-ha. Makes sense now.
  27. i have 3007

and i overclock 2D to 600 MHz, the default was too slow.

if you only run one 3007, i suggest you get something faster than 7900GT 600MHz and above.

All 7900GT can be oc.

even for 7900GT, a powerful 3d card, you will have to run full power in 2d, or suffer a little jerkyness when moving your windows around. you know what i mean? when you click on the top of the window, and move it around, anything below 600MHz in 2d is jerky.
  28. Quote:
    There are several price ranges in searching for 7800GS dual link 256MB cards.

Why the great disparity?

Some of it is just paying for a label. But, if you look at clock speeds of the 7800GSs on Newegg, you'll notice that the cheapest card there (BFG 229, on sale) runs at 400MHz, while the most expensive (eVGA, 299) runs at 430MHz and is not on sale.

So, you have to look at the speed the cards are running at and be careful. BTW, you have AGP or PCIE?

AGP now but will have a new ASUS P5B by the end of the week - it's upgrade time.
  29. Quote:
    i have 3007

and i overclock 2D to 600 MHz, the default was too slow.

if you only run one 3007, i suggest you get something faster than 7900GT 600MHz and above.

All 7900GT can be oc.

even for 7900GT, a powerful 3d card, you will have to run full power in 2d, or suffer a little jerkyness when moving your windows around. you know what i mean? when you click on the top of the window, and move it around, anything below 600MHz in 2d is jerky.

I bought the MSI 7800GS 512 - the transaction hasn't cleared so I can still swap it out. Just to confirm, I am not a gamer - you think this card is not powerful enough? Yikes!
  30. I think the GF7800GS is overkill and a waste of money.

You won't see a major performance difference in those cards, you'd be better off speding the money on dedicated 2D cards.

The Intel Extreme kills many cards for office 2D performance for the simple reason that it is not the VPU power that matters as much as the driver overhead and such.

I think you're wasting your money on anything more powerful than a GF7600GS or X1600, IMO the X1300 would've done you fine.

And now you have to concern yourself with the life of the Heatsink fan that's louder, and a part that consumes much more power.

I say cancel the order and get a passive GF7600 IMO.
  31. Mr. Ape ~ Correction, I ordered the MSI7600GS not 7800. So hopefully I'm will do well with this.

It was $132.00 at newegg.
  32. Thats a fine card but any 7600GS would have done fine, i thought i saw cheaper ones on newegg but the one you have will you perform just the way you want it
  33. Yeah that should do just fine, IMO it's a great fit for your needs.
  34. Dont skimp buy the best DX10 GPU on the market or youll regret it.
    Most important of all do a fresh install of Vista, don't buy with XP in mind.
  35. Read the part where he says he's not gaming. DX10 card is pointless, the GF7600 will handle Vista fine.

As for Vista it depends on the apps, for what he's doing I'd say still with XP until he knows the apps work flawlessly under Vista, then move to Vista.
  36. Will install Vista Clean

Apps to be used used:

Acrobat - merging lots of pdf's at a time
    Excel - heavy calculations
    Access - complex data querying/sorting
    Outlook - heavy emailing
    Word - light
    Powerpoint - light
    Photoshop CS2 - very light work -
    Quickbooks - should be no high demands
    Premiere - just kidding - only wish I had the time!

Here's the system:
    Antec Nine Hundred
    PSU - Thermaltake W0106RU
    MB - ASUS P5B Deluxe
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6700BX80557E6700 - Retail
    MSI NX7600GS-T2D512EH GeForce 7600GS 512MB GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
    MiSC items / cdrom, cas2 ram for
    Item #: N82E16814127220
  37. Well Vista should do well for those.

Photoshop and Acrobat are some of the few apps I've seen reviews consitently show benifits of Vista.
  38. 7600 will not work for me
    i am running my 7900GT 2D at 600Mhz and 3d at 685MHz
    it will be too jerky if i move my windows around at lower speed

you keep saying you are not a gamer
    but i am trying to tell you 2560x1600 require a powerful card.

7800GS is bad, low clock speed
    7600GT is interesting, the clock speed can increase, i think it may be possible, OC your 2D to max clock speed. that might do.
  39. I might seriously hold off on buying the Dell 30. A new monitor will be announced and available at Dell in the next few days. It is a 30, with improved color gamut and can display multiple resolutions, not just 1280 by 768 and 2500 by 1600, but the ones in between. It is also 300 dollars more expensive at $1599. This or the new 30Hp monitor is the one I am going to be getting as soon as I can check out some reviews. ( The HP monitor is $1649 at CDW)

The current Dell 30 is probably quite sufficent if you arent a gamer, but I am so I am eagerly awaiting the new monitor.( It is already available at Alienware, and I called to confirm that it does all gaming resoultions!!)
  40. i do not know what you are talking about
    dell 3007 can run at any resolution
    below 2560x1600

other than i need a 8800gtx to drive counterstrike for very smooth operation and max settings.

I encounter zero problem with gaming.

It is awesome shit.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards GPUs Graphics Product