For all you people who want to buy a 8800GTX

slicessoul

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
I don't see anything interesting yet.

"OS : Windows XP SP2" ?!?!?
"Games : FEAR and Oblivion" ?!?!?

DX10 card showing its teeth in DX9 environment ?

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
As one of the TG Daily said, nVidia's card won't sell as well as planned until Vista is released, since DX 10 is Vista only.

I'd give it a year, give or take, before DX10 cards are really needed. I mean, I've been to the nVidia website, and yes, it's awe dropping and all. It's just that there's not a game out yet to utilize the 8800 series to it's full potential.

thedrake

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2006
As one of the TG Daily said, nVidia's card won't sell as well as planned until Vista is released, since DX 10 is Vista only.

I'd give it a year, give or take, before DX10 cards are really needed. I mean, I've been to the nVidia website, and yes, it's awe dropping and all. It's just that there's not a game out yet to utilize the 8800 series to it's full potential.

Ya, and even a year from now is iffy on whether it will be worth shelling out for a new DX10 video card for a few reasons:

1) EXTRA power needed to run these things
2) All game makers worth their salt are NOT going to alienate all of the DX9 high end cards out there, meaning that their games will simply have "extra" eye candy for those with DX10, but there will be sufficient eye candy for those w/o.
3) Vista runs just fine with the current crop of DX9 cards....why should I upgrade?

So from my perspective, I'm looking at 2008 at the earliest, perhaps even later depending on circumstances....best thing to do is wait for the year to unfold before upgrading.

If you are buying a new/fast rig, then no doubt gobble up a DX10....if you want a moderate/low end rig, wait until Q2-2007 or later.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Hmmmm... I wonder if I worded this wrong... didn't mean to talk about buying a 8800GTX... meant which 8800GTX to buy... sigh...

Whether people need one or not is a different question... man, hijacked thread in 10 min or less.

Either way, I'd still buy the 8800GTX for the performance increase in current games... running Oblivion at full everything with a high resolution at decent framrates? Why not drop the money for it? And the 8800GTX and GTS definitly aren't marketed toward low/mid computers, especially not with those price tags.

There's not even that much extra power either, tell me, how much power does an X1950XTX use, and then how much does an 8800GTX use? That answer your question? Nickels and Dimes...

And uh... who buys a top of the line graphics card to run an OS...

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Define what you mean by "support"...

As far as I know, my ATI X1900XT runs Vista flawlessly. The only thing the 8800GTX has for Vista is DX10 support. Who the h3ll needs a $650 card to run Vista?!

Oh yea, another guy in this thread stated the same thing.

Point made!

SEALBoy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Lol my builtin GeForce 6100 runs Vista Aero w/o so much as a stutter. Man, I gotta get a less embarassing videocard... thinking about an X1650XT around Christmas.

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Yea, my g/f's $500 Presario with Celeron, 512DDR2, and GMA 950 w/128MB shared RAM ran Vista Aero just fine as well!

As I said in another thread, it's better to wait for second gen dx10 cards... if you can

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006

Seeing as the 8800 series is finally making Oblivion playable with HDR and antialiasing on a single card, I'd say it is being utilized, but the performance will only grow with time.

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
Great review, nice to see them post the power draw in comparison to a X1950XTX

It will prove to be a good reference article when people come shouting how much a 8800GTX draws more power and needs a bigger psu and such.

Nice to see that they are still fairly cool with their temperatures remaining cooler than a X1950XTX. Also looks like they were able to keep the noise levels under control also. Although nvidia didn't keep that card as cool or quiet as a 7900GTX, it was nice to see that they still run cooler and quieter than a X1950XTX while delivering double the performance in some cases.

In my book it looks like nVidia checked all the boxes not only being concerned about performance but also the noise and heat. Even though its rumored ATis R600 will be more powerful than the 8800GTX i bet it will also be hotter, louder and draw more power. Something that could sway decisions especially if all three areas favor Nvidia.

Hats off to nvidia for not only getting their product out pretty early, but also delivering an overall refined one at that. Regardless of whether the card is DX10 or not it delivers a huge increase in performance increase in all games. With nvidia already in the game for a good 3-5 months i see them being much more competitive than people say when it comes to ATis R600

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006

Don't look at it as being a DX10 card vs a DX9 card. Just look at it as a new generation of cards. It delivers amazing performance on some games that weren't playable at high resolutions. As far as its concerned with DX10 just consider it an amazing DX9 card that is somewhat future proof cause it has DX10 capabilities. Why preach not to get it just because you feel your limited by the code, DX10 is only moving forward and with the performance the 8800s offer in all the games it makes it a very nice card.

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
We need something that really maxs out the card's capabilitites to really know anything about it. For us, that something is a PC game. If the new 8800 is the only card that can run Oblivion at full settings, and you are desparate to play it and/or have money burning a hole in your pocket, then you have a reason to buy it now.

From what I have seen on Gamespot, MS released its Flight Sim X too early. It is meant to be a DX10 game that they pushed out the door, and it can't be played on full settings with XP (DX9) and any hardware available today. So, it may be a good benchmark for testing the 8800 on DX9.

No one else has made a game yet that maxs out the latest hardware running XP (like fully utilizing dual core CPUs and the latest top end GPUs).

DX10 offers major improvements in efficiency (shorter instruction path for current DX stuff) along with new features (like the geometry shader). So, it will make DX games run better on current hardware, which will enable you to enable features (like HDR) without seeing a big performance hit.

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
We need something that really maxs out the card's capabilitites to really know anything about it. For us, that something is a PC game. If the new 8800 is the only card that can run Oblivion at full settings, and you are desparate to play it and/or have money burning a hole in your pocket, then you have a reason to buy it now.

From what I have seen on Gamespot, MS released its Flight Sim X too early. It is meant to be a DX10 game that they pushed out the door, and it can't be played on full settings with XP (DX9) and any hardware available today. So, it may be a good benchmark for testing the 8800 on DX9.

No one else has made a game yet that maxs out the latest hardware running XP (like fully utilizing dual core CPUs and the latest top end GPUs).

Basically, what I've been trying to say in all the threads concerning DX10 and the 8800 cards :oops:

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Freaking MS Flight Sim X bring the 8800GTX to its knees... nothing can take it except for two X1950XTX in CF...

Either way, new tech is always better, so 2nd gen will be better than first gen... but first gen is still better than last gen, so if you want top of the line, then the 8800GTX is the only option. Not to mention how many people will wait another year or so for the 2nd gen cards to come out? At most people will wait for the R600 and then start jumping on these cards...

NeonDeon

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
I'm just woundering if their are any games that would even work in Vista?? For all we know games may need to be patched all to hell just to work in Vista... So Like I always do when the new stuff hit's the streets I'll wait till the dust and hype settles down before I buy 8800GTX or Vista.

Then too I'll buy a 8800GTX for about half the price!!

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003

How do you get a year before DX10 is needed, when crysis and ut2006 are due out in about 4 months and microsoft are going to release a DX10 patch for flight sim X?

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003

How do you get a year before DX10 is needed, when crysis and ut2006 are due out in about 4 months and microsoft are going to release a DX10 patch for flight sim X?

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Your bring up a good point, although Crysis has been delayed, sigh, what else is new...

I think the nay-sayers just like saying nay, and the aye-sayers just like saying aye. The way I look at it, if it's better than what's out there currently, why not get it... especially for the application it's for. If your a heavy video editor, then why not get a quad-core, even though other things won't use it or will be able to utilize it for a while...

Same thing here, why not get the 8800GTX just to play Oblivion with full everything, and Company of Heroes with decent framrates and full everything also? A X1950XTX is already around 450-500, just plop down another 100 or so and get performance a bit worse than X1950XTX CF...