Sign in with
Your question

Noob needs help for OC of E6600 on eVGA Nvidia 680i SLI mobo

Last response: in Overclocking
November 13, 2006 3:08:02 PM

Hi everyone..

I mean, I may be a noob, but I can follow instructions...

However, following Wuzy's guide was not an easy task, since the settings and terminology seem very different on my mobo.. I guess cuz it just got released...

I need help on how to tweak these options, and how to proceed to achieve a good OC.

Specs:

-eVGA Nvidia 680i SLI mobo
- E6600 CPU
-Corsair Dominator TWINX2X2048 PC2-6400 (2 gb)
-Zalman 9500 AT
-eVGA 8800 GTX

Maybe Wuzy can help adapt his guide for me... (Please help me!)

Here is where you get snapshots of the BIOS:

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=4215&s=7
http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=4215&s=8
http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=4215&s=9

Can someone explain how I can proceed?

Thanks

Pat
November 13, 2006 4:57:35 PM

This is exactly the same system i'm building with a OCZ 700w GameXStream Power Supply,really like to no how you make out overclocking,temps, etc.
November 13, 2006 5:41:45 PM

Quote:
This is exactly the same system i'm building with a OCZ 700w GameXStream Power Supply,really like to no how you make out overclocking,temps, etc.

I threw in the exact same power supply.
Related resources
November 13, 2006 6:12:03 PM

Rite m8 wot u need to do is take the Red lead and plug it into the green bit .then take the green bit and plug that into the other end of the red thing, Then connect the bit which comes off the red thing and plug it into the Blue thing..Once its connected to the yellow Led will turn yellow..When it turns yellow you should quickly connect the cable coming from the yellow thing to the pink thing.

SORTED
November 13, 2006 6:23:52 PM

wtf?!

Bump Baked_Bean

Just play around with the settings. As you overclock, make sure to watch your temps and that the DDR2 frequency doesn't surpass stock speeds to bad. If so, bump the DDR voltage up by .1 volts. All other voltages might have to be increases as well.

Eh, that could have been pulled out of wusy's guide as well, I guess... :oops: 
November 13, 2006 6:35:56 PM

u .f...u.c..kin wanker
November 13, 2006 6:51:27 PM

8O 8O 8O ahhhhhhhhh can't we all just get along.
November 13, 2006 6:55:05 PM

u askin for a smack u cheeky shit i bang u out
November 13, 2006 6:55:46 PM

What all have you tried?
November 13, 2006 9:29:16 PM

Since Friday I've had EVGA 680i and a E6700 @ 2.66 I went looking around and I think it was the VR zone that had it were you lower the multiplier to 6 and raise the FSB. So on sunday I tried it. I set it to unlinked in the bios and Sync Mode then put in 1555 on FSB and my ram came out to 900mhz then booted to windows and bang 3.89mhz on air and I'm not even hot. 32C under 2 hours of BF2142 load. Read the VR zone article. for some reason the board does not like round #'s so choose something with a 5 at the end they reported there are some wholes where it just won't boot. Its cool that if a setting won't boot the machine just resets itself to safe bois mode and you just go back and change it back. 680i,e6700,2x1024(XMS 6400 Dominators 4,4,4,12 before OC then the modules auto'd to 5,5,5,15 when I OC'd), Scyth INF cooler,2x7900GT SLI,XFI Fatality,2x74g Raptors raid 0. This mobo has been on par with my DFI stuff. I got 6068 in 3d mark 06 before OC. I will repost new run with OC later.

7080 after 3.9 OC. Next is oc the ram and video cards. I don't expect much more with those things but I havn't reached my limit on cpu yet. I've seen it posted that some of the 6300's are getting close to 100% oc on air.
November 13, 2006 9:30:57 PM

I'm a little worried that my temps are almost to low, but I have alot of air flow and the Heat sink is not even hot.
November 13, 2006 10:52:52 PM

Download Core Temp and use that to measure your CPU :wink:
November 13, 2006 11:36:15 PM

Quote:
Hi everyone..

I mean, I may be a noob, but I can follow instructions...

However, following Wuzy's guide was not an easy task, since the settings and terminology seem very different on my mobo.. I guess cuz it just got released...

I need help on how to tweak these options, and how to proceed to achieve a good OC.

Specs:

-eVGA Nvidia 680i SLI mobo
- E6600 CPU
-Corsair Dominator TWINX2X2048 PC2-6400 (2 gb)
-Zalman 9500 AT
-eVGA 8800 GTX

Maybe Wuzy can help adapt his guide for me... (Please help me!)

Here is where you get snapshots of the BIOS:

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=4215&s=7
http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=4215&s=8
http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=4215&s=9

Can someone explain how I can proceed?

Thanks

Pat

You have an E6600. You don't need to OC.
November 14, 2006 4:15:24 AM

You have an E6600. You don't need to OC.[/quote]

THE BARON SPOKE!

but I guess the baron should rather shut the F**K UP. When somebody buys an 6600 this is one of the reasons he buys it, to get max performence from an extremly oc-er like 6600, but I guess the amd cpus are not that good on OC-ing, could that be the reason you said that, my dear BaronM?
November 14, 2006 5:14:58 AM

Quote:
You have an E6600. You don't need to OC.

So you are the legendary BaronMatrix?
Quite a pleasure :D 
November 14, 2006 5:15:48 AM

Quote:
Download Core Temp and use that to measure your CPU :wink:

And download TAT too, run the at the same time, temps shouldnt variate more than 1c
November 14, 2006 5:43:40 PM

Come on guys.. enough sarcasm.

There are a whole bunch of options in the bios that I don't understand, with this board... Need you to tell me what to turn on or off, and then I guess I can start playing with some settings..

Like this 1:1 fsb ram thingy.. I don't get it... Is that the "linked" / "unlinked" thing-a-majig? How do I set that up?

I just want to run stable at more than 3.0 ghz...
a c 79 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 14, 2006 6:12:34 PM

It sounds like you are struggling with some very basic concepts, should you really be overclocking...

Quote:
Like this 1:1 fsb ram thingy.. I don't get it... Is that the "linked" / "unlinked" thing-a-majig? How do I set that up?

The ram thingy, the CPU responds to the FSB the front side bus, this goes up and down 266 million times per second, 266Mhz. Ram also responds to a Bus speed, for DDR2-800 this is 400Mhz. The idea behind the 1:1 ratio is that for every 1 cycle of the FSB there will be 1 cycle of the Ram, i.e. the Ram is doing things at the same speed as the CPU. (in one respect). The idel is to have 1:1, so that they do not get out of synch and the CPU has to wait for the RAM to collect its instruction. Hence on a 266FSB you really want RAM running at 266 too, but because this is DDR (Double Data Rate, that is known at DDR2-533 aka PC4300 or PC4200.

My system for example is using DDR400, so my memory is at 200Mhz, and my CPU is at 266Mhz when they talk to each other. Hence I have a 3:4 ratio (or possibly 4:3 depending on which is the convention) so my RAM is slower than my CPU.

With regards to the "Linked Unlinked" Thing-a-majig, it depends where it is in the menu system. It probably refers to increaseing the FSB being linked to the increase in the RAM speed, i.e. maintaining the ratio you started off with. So if you start off with 1:1 at 266:266 and you increase your FSB to 350 then you need RAM that can cope with 350 or DDR2-700, which means that you need either PC6400 (the next one up) or PC5300 (DDR2-667) and overclock that from 333 to 350.

However if your RAM cannot reach the level that your CPU can reachyou can disconnect them, and have them unlinked, so that you clock your CPU as high as it can go, and your RAM as high as it can go, whether that be higher or lower than your CPU.

I do not Overclock, my hardware is not good enough for it, I've learnt what I know by listening and figuring things out, I think that the concept of a ratio between two values is simple enough to understand, and the linked / unlinked may be ok if it is clearly signed in the Bios.

Have you read the manual, have you really read it, not just thought that there are some scary terms in this and put it down, but read it, think about what it says, think about the poor translation.

Feel free to ask specific questions 'what does comnand rate mean and is it important', but questions asking 'how does my whole system work' will not get sensible answers, especially on a brand new mobo and chopset that people have not seen before.

I've given you a starter for 10, have a play, don't raise any voltages. watch the temps, make sure (and I mean really sure) that the stock HSF is fitted well if you are using stock. Once you are comfortable that it is working well and cool at stock speeds try raising the speeds and follow the guide, the settings might be called different things but try and interpret them. When you get stuck start asking the questions.

Its how most people who are any good here learnt (and I do not classify myself as one of them).
November 14, 2006 10:12:39 PM

The official Nvidia 680i overclocking guide
I have read all the important parts and well, I aprove it :D 
Keep in mind that there are some phantom FSB frecuencies on that board, frecuencies that simply wont work by higher than them it will. Check for BIOS updates from both eVGA and Nvidia.
November 15, 2006 1:04:48 AM

ROFL!!!

Why don't other manufactures make overclocking guides for their chipsets?! :p 
November 15, 2006 1:15:59 AM

Quote:
Why don't other manufactures make overclocking guides for their chipsets?!

This is one of the very very weird things in the market. As the Intel Chipset water block for the BadAxe!
November 18, 2006 12:13:08 AM

I am in lust with that user guide. Printed out 5 copies for myself and friends on the company color laser printer.... weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
November 18, 2006 2:05:13 AM

The only part thats worth it is the 'Overclocking nforce 680i' part. The rest has too much marketing crap.
Remmber that is still a C2D the one youre OCing, so wusys guide for example is still valid. Its most useful to know the differences btw the 680i and the 975X and P965.
!