Sign in with
Your question

Monitors: Which aspect ratio is best for gaming?

Last response: in Components

Which aspect ratio is best for gaming on the PC?

Total: 24 votes (3 blank votes)

• Traditional 4:3
  • 34 %
  • Widescreen 16:9
  • 62 %
  • I rather read a book
  • 5 %
November 13, 2006 3:30:45 PM

I am ready to ditch my 19 inch CRT for an LCD display. After comparing monitors at the local computer store, the image quality of the Samsung 204b really stood out for me. I looked around for some other good deals and I found an Acer 22 inch widescreen monitor for around the same price as the Samsung monitor.

Which is better for gaming: a 20 inch 4:3 aspect ratio LCD with superior image quality or a 22 inch widescreen LCD with bigger screen real estate?

Will a single Radeon x1950xt be able to handle the native 1600 x 1200 resolution of the Samsung?

All relevant feedback about the issue is appreciated :mrgreen:
November 13, 2006 4:09:26 PM

Quote:
I am ready to ditch my 19 inch CRT for an LCD display. After comparing monitors at the local computer store, the image quality of the Samsung 204b really stood out for me. I looked around for some other good deals and I found an Acer 22 inch widescreen monitor for around the same price as the Samsung monitor.

Which is better for gaming: a 20 inch 4:3 aspect ratio LCD with superior image quality or a 22 inch widescreen LCD with bigger screen real estate?

Will a single Radeon x1950xt be able to handle the native 1600 x 1200 resolution of the Samsung?

All relevant feedback about the issue is appreciated :mrgreen:

imo i prefer the widescreen while playing games cos i like to be able to see more by the sides.
November 13, 2006 4:13:00 PM

Widescreen gaming is just barely beginning to make inroads, with only newer games supporting it, so if you play a lot of older games, the additional real-estate won't benefit you much. Also, the better picture quality will make a difference, gaming wise... I suggest the better 20 inch and the standard 4:3...

However, I'd go with the widescreen if you also use your computer to watch movies a lot also. You can still game on a 22" without a problem most of the time, and watching movies in widescreen format would definitly want me to get a 22"...
Related resources
November 13, 2006 4:25:58 PM

Thanks sylvez and Doughbuy for your feedback. Since there is dissent after only two responses, I will call a vote.
November 13, 2006 4:46:55 PM

I went from a 19" CRT to a 20" widescreen LCD for gaming and I can't imagine going back to a standard aspect ratio.
November 13, 2006 5:12:14 PM

Quote:
I went from a 19" CRT to a 20" widescreen LCD for gaming and I can't imagine going back to a standard aspect ratio.

I can imagine how a widescreen can help in FPS games. Which games do you usually play Athlas?
November 13, 2006 6:51:13 PM

i went from a 19" crt to a 20" w/s lcd viewsonic and loved it now i have a 22" viewsonic. just rocks
November 13, 2006 7:01:13 PM

I am starting to lean towards widescreen.
To anyone who thinks standard aspect ratio is better than widescreen: speak now or forever hold your peace.
November 14, 2006 12:04:13 PM

Thing is, I'm not crazy about that Acer 22", the Viewsonic VX2235 and the Samsung 225BW would be better choices IMO, and I know the 225BW supports HDCP, not to mention it has height adjustment also whereas some of the other monitors don't...

However, these 22" LCD's have just recently risen in prices 100 bucks or so, (225BW) and the AL2216WBD has dissappeared completely from some places, I don't know wtf is happening with these 22"... shrug

Grab one before they go up in price some more...
!