Will the ATI RD600 run 1333FSB CPUs?

DeltaRage

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
Anyone know if the upcoming ATI RD600 chipset will run 1333 FSB CPUs (even if officially ATI doesn't have the license for anything above 1067FSB)?

If I put a 1333fsb chip in an ATI RD600 motherboard, will it post at 1067 and then let me up the FSB it in bios up to 1333mhz or beyond?

I think this will clinch my decision to buy a 680i or RD600. I'd prefer the RD600 though.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
A 1333Mhz is just about OCing the FSB to 333Mhz, if your memory can do this, there should be no problems.
The perfect example is the 945 chipset, since it was OCable now we see it 'factory overclocked' running C2Ds. Thats why the 500 Intel chipsets are a dead end, cos they have trouble reaching even 333Mhz FSB.

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
if your memory can do this, there should be no problems.

The R600 doesn't have memory multipliers. Any memory will work. Or thats at least what a review said like 2 months ago.

the R600 is a graphics card, not a chipset, which what it seems your referring to, the RD600 is ATi's codename for the future chipsets

And its only native if both the cpu and mobo support the 1333mhz fsb

DeltaRage

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
A 1333Mhz is just about OCing the FSB to 333Mhz, if your memory can do this, there should be no problems.

So, if I'm running DDR2-8000(1000mhz), there will be no problem at all, correct? The upcoming 1333fsb C2Ds will work in an RD600 without a problem?

Also, isn't all DDR2 out right now at least 400mhz? Meaning that they all can run with a 1333fsb? Is that what you're referring to?

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006

So, if I'm running DDR2-8000(1000mhz), there will be no problem at all, correct? The upcoming 1333fsb C2Ds will work in an RD600 without a problem?

Also, isn't all DDR2 out right now at least 400mhz? Meaning that they all can run with a 1333fsb? Is that what you're referring to?

You need to get your terminology down a little bit, its PC8000 and DDR2-1000, and yes that means your memory will have no problem running the upcoming 1333mhz fsb mobos w/o a problem

But once again there is a little confusion, the fsb is the non multiplied factor of the memory and the actual fsb

Lots of of memory is no above 400mhz, cause memory is DDR so its double making its effective mhz 800 when its bus speed is actually 400, this is the same with the bus, it runs at 266 right now for intel cpus which translates into a 1067fsb, 333mhz times 4(cause its quad pumped) for 1333mhz

cpus will have to be 1333mhz fsb compatible or you will not get that fsb at stock settings if your have a 1067fsb cpu then you will have to overclock the cpu to get it to to that fsb, either way at this point any dual core cpu does not saturate the 1067mhz fsb

pshrk

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
Sounds good. But what is the best a normal person can hope for?

A good healthy life, happy marriage, A bright future, decent income, the Democrats in power, no PC/overclocking obsession. :p

^ idiot ^

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
Sounds good. But what is the best a normal person can hope for?

A good healthy life, happy marriage, A bright future, decent income, the Democrats in power, no PC/overclocking obsession. :p

^ idiot ^

Well you can take out the Democrats part if you wish. 8) I'm not a political person.. :)

But hey, he asked "what is the best a normal person can ask for" If you're not normal then you can't appreciate my wit.... :wink:

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
Thanks,
But that doesn't help much. (with modest overclocking)

I see we're both Doctor Who fans, though my favourite was William Hartnell, not Tom Baker.

All current good C2D motherboards will run at 1333 fsb. It doesn't matter if it boots up initially at 1066 since that just means underclocking. Then the Bios can be set to 1333 or more and it will boot at that each time. The default memory to run at 1:1 for 1333 FSB would be DDR2-667. DDR2-800 would give overclocking margin.

The Nvidia 680i has an advantage here since it will overclock so well, otherwise you must remember that there will be less headroom for overclocking a 1333 CPU since the Motherboard chipset is already being pushed and will flake out before the CPU. This is unlike using a Pentium D, say, since the CPU only expects an 800 Mhz FSB, thus overclocking is entirely dependant upon the CPU limits, not those of the motherboard chipset.

Ok? :?

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Thanks for the info. I'll be buying a new (everything) system soon.

Sylvester McCoy is actually my favorite Doctor (and supposed to be the smartest from what I read ‘made a situation better than if he never has interfered’). Even though McCoy’s character is like a clown, he manipulates the enemies like chess pieces – then moves to checkmate. But Tom Baker is just the funniest and the most distinctive - made many people think all doctors wear the big scarf.
Yes, William Hartnell had a heart of gold and started it all.

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
Thanks for the info. I'll be buying a new (everything) system soon.

Sylvester McCoy is actually my favorite Doctor (and supposed to be the smartest from what I read ‘made a situation better than if he never has interfered’). Even though McCoy’s character is like a clown, he manipulates the enemies like chess pieces – then moves to checkmate. But Tom Baker is just the funniest and the most distinctive - made many people think all doctors wear the big scarf.
Yes, William Hartnell had a heart of gold and started it all.

Jon Pertwee is my second-best, a vigorous retelling of Hartnell.

I always considered McCoy to be the unrealized Dark Side of Hartnell. Unrealized, because although later in his reign, by McCoy's own desire, there was started a leaning toward a hidden history intending to blow away previous conceptions of the Doctor's true history, JNT was such a lousy producer that nothing could be made of it. I say that about Turner because, well, look at Colin Baker, he had the potential to be one of the greatest Doctors I think, but with the horrible clothing and one-note characterization that potential was ruined.

I'd like to see an elderly Doctor again, Robert Hardy would be wonderful, As would Bruce Purchase; also a Lady Doctor would be a worthwhile experiment, an older Lady, not a sex bomb of course, Maybe Mary Tamm. But they have to get past that 12-regeneration limit.

So far off-topic. Gee! :oops:

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Not to get too far off the subject.
Colin Baker is the most underrated doctor. The other people on the "team" describe Colin Baker being a "bold" doctor - very difficult acting. About a woman doctor. Never going to happen. Like Sherlock Holmes or James Bond, the doctor is just too manly! Also, writters tried many times to make the doctor more human and active. Just make him older and more alien.
I agree with you about Jon Pertwee. "Fancy Pants"

So, how to run the tardis as 1333 Mhz ?

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
Not to get too far off the subject.
Colin Baker is the most underrated doctor. The other people on the "team" describe Colin Baker being a "bold" doctor - very difficult acting. About a woman doctor. Never going to happen. Like Sherlock Holmes or James Bond, the doctor is just too manly! Also, writters tried many times to make the doctor more human and active. Just make him older and more alien.
I agree with you about Jon Pertwee. "Fancy Pants"

So, how to run the tardis as 1333 Mhz ?

There's a comedy sketch inluded on one of the DVDs where an effeminate Bad Guy (call him Gay) knocks on the Tardis door and says "I'm Baaad!" and then the Doctor and evildoer discuss the best time for the fellow to destroy the planet, or some such. ("must be before teatime, Wednesday maybe?") The Doctor in that wears dark clothes, is holding a cup of tea, and is veddy British. He is the image of Colin Baker and THAT is how Baker should have portrayed the Doctor. The comedy writers got it right, Nathan-Turner didn't. I agree that Baker had a particularly difficult portrayal to, er, portray. But it could have been so much more. The potential was there to be one of the best Doctors.

The new series is good, and the special effects are a plus, not a distraction as many feared. But the two Doctors so far have been too high energy, not the original concept at all. We've had Lady Timelords, again I mention Mary Tamm and Lady Sarah Ward (Lalla Ward) and the former was quite good I thought. And, erm, whatsit, the Rani? There's an older powerful Gallifreyan Lady. Alien, older, AND female?? Sure!.

Only the early Doctor Who episodes portrayed the Tardis as a giant self-aware computer. That concept was lost during the second Hartnell Series.