z28power

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
Hello, I have a couple questions. First of all, I have a restaraunt with 12 computers, 10 of which are registers (9 terminals and 1 server), and 2 administrative computers. I would like to have the 2 administrative computers be on a separate network than the 10 register computers. Right now I have a cable modem going to a router which goes to the register server and my 2 administrative computers, so share internet access to the 3 computers. Can I connect my belkin router up with one port going to the register server, and another port going to a switch, and the switch going to the 2 administrative computers? Will this be like a seperate network, or do I need to buy an expensive router that supports VLANs, in order for this to work? If so can someone recommend one that will work that is cheaper than say the Cisco 2600 series. Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated.

z28power

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
I'm currently using a belkin router. Too make two networks, am I going to have to get a second internet connection? Also how will running a vpn help me in this situation. Thanks for your quick responses.

z28power

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
I'm currently using a belkin router. When I add another routher too make two networks, am I going to have to get a second internet connection? Also how will running a vpn help me in this situation. Thanks for your quick responses.

sorry about the second post, i thought I stopped it in time

sturm

Splendid
You can use a 2nd router. A belkin router would be best since you already have one.

Setup would be:
router one have dhcp on witn network address 192.168.0.1
10 register computers and server can be dhcp or static up to you. But make sure they have addresses in 192.168.0.x if setting static
On the second router change the network to use 192.168.1.x and turn on dhcp or use static address in the 192.168.1.x range for the two admin computers.
Hope this helps.