Home Networking

Have a home network setup this way:

1 PC - Workgroup "MSHOME"
3 Laptops - Workgroup "MSHOME"

PC wired into a wireless router. Laptops connected wirelessly to router. All
machines can "see" each other, but cannot get to any shared folders or
Printers. All machines running XP sp2. Get error about not having
permission to access this network resource. I am quite good at domain
based networks but not workgroups. What did I miss ???

TIA

bytor

In article <OpypM9C6EHA.3612@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, here@gone.com, _M_
says...

> Have a home network setup this way:
>
> 1 PC - Workgroup "MSHOME"
> 3 Laptops - Workgroup "MSHOME"
>
> PC wired into a wireless router. Laptops connected wirelessly to router. All
> machines can "see" each other, but cannot get to any shared folders or
> Printers. All machines running XP sp2. Get error about not having
> permission to access this network resource. I am quite good at domain
> based networks but not workgroups. What did I miss ???
>
> TIA

Is your username & password setup on all the other machines? Another
words are you setup as a user?
If it asks for a password/username when you try to access a share do you
know the "administrator" password assigned to those machines? I access
machines in my house in that way, I don't necessarily have to have my
username & password on each machine but it does make it a whole lot
easier.....

Aaron McKenna

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

You can use the same user name and password on each machine if that is
easiest for you. I would check to make sure:

1) you have file and print sharing on your exception list in your firewall
2) you don't have simple file sharing enabled. This will automatically try
to log you in as guest, which is probably disabled.

--
aaron
A+,NET+,MCSE 2K/2K3,CNA,CCNA