680i + 8800gtx + Mushkin XP2-6400 (?)

CtrlAltDel

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
Hi gurus,

I'm planning to order my missing parts soon - got E6600 and Raptor already - but I would like to hear your thoughts first. The parts would be:

-EVGA nForce 680i
-EVGA 8800GTX
-Mushkin XP2-6400, CL 4-4-3-10, 1.9~2.1V (2x1024MB)
-OCZ GameXStream 700W

The mobo and gpu were pretty simple choices, partly by limited availability of brands. I just read that there are two versions of EVGA 8800GTX, with ACS3 cooling, and without. Wonder which ones these guys are selling...

I had hard time choosing the power supply. It would be cheaper and easier to get be quiet! StraightPower 700W, but OCZ is recommended in so many places, that I'm considering it.

But the memory... Have to consider speed, overclockability, and combatibility. I've read lots of threads where people get adviced that this and this brand is not combatible with this and that mobo and chipset. Any idea if that Mushkin might want to co-operate with that 680i? Other options could be e.g.:

-GSkill Extreme (F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ) (2x1024MB) 800Mhz, CL 4-4-4-12, 2.0~2.1 V
-OCZ Platinum EL XTC OCZ2P8002GK 800Mhz, CL 4-5-4-15, 2.1 V

I am planning to OC, and the performance is needed for gaming, surprise. I do other stuff as well, but I know the performance is good enough for that anyway.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and thoughts!

mad-dog

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
I don't know anything about EVGA selling a water-cooled version of NVIDIA's 8800 series cards, but if they did/do then it would carry additional nomenclature in addition to the 8800 GTS/GTX name-plate...
It would be listed as the EVGA 8800GTX/WC or something similar.

THe EVGA 680i is the brain-child of the 2 fastest overclocking boards ever made for the C2D, the DFI Lanparty and the ASUS P5W-DH Deluxe.
It was created to give Intel users a competetive DDR2 platform to compete with the latest AMD offerings from various mobo makers,
notice , if you will that NVIDIA did not make a 600 series chipset for the AMD line (go figure) because NVIDIA is in competition with AMD's sister company ATI.
And if you plan to competetively overclock then there is no other choice.

After doing more research there are only 4 PSU makers i can mention for your use: Fortron, PC Power & Cooling, Seasonic and Thermaltake with a rating no smaller than 650W.

Motherboard manufacturers have what they call a "QVL" or Qualified Vendors List, sometimes you have to D/L it and sometines you can link to it but it lists certified components that have been tested to be compatible with their particular component.
You would be wise to select RAM that is on their QVL list to avoid incompatability issues.

CtrlAltDel

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
Thank you for your reply.

After doing more research there are only 4 PSU makers i can mention for your use: Fortron, PC Power & Cooling, Seasonic and Thermaltake with a rating no smaller than 650W.

I would go with PC Power & Cooling, but I don't know if it sold anywhere in Europe?... Anyway, one option could be Thermaltake Toughpower Cable Manager 700W. It is modular, it has its own pros and cons. Seasonic M12-700 is a bit more expensive, worth it?

Motherboard manufacturers have what they call a "QVL" or Qualified Vendors List, sometimes you have to D/L it and sometines you can link to it but it lists certified components that have been tested to be compatible with their particular component.
You would be wise to select RAM that is on their QVL list to avoid incompatability issues.

I tried to search that, and could not find, but then I took a look in their forums. So there it is... And Mushkin 6400 is supported. Am I correct to assume that "sli ready memory" brings only some fancy overclocking options more, but nothing else?

mad-dog

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
I would go with PC Power & Cooling, but I don't know if it sold anywhere in Europe?...
your guess is as good as mine..
Anyway, one option could be Thermaltake Toughpower Cable Manager 700W. It is modular, it has its own pros and cons.
they would be my last option
Seasonic M12-700 is a bit more expensive, worth it?
worth it's weight in gold, my personal favorite...
Am I correct to assume that "sli ready memory" brings only some fancy overclocking options more, but nothing else?
sli is about speed and making graphics faster so your probably right on track with the overclocking mentality, recommending low-lat ram to complement oc'd processors and turbocharged graphics, but I'm only guessing here....
Keep me posted..

TRENDING THREADS