Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Help with router!!

Last response: in Networking
February 28, 2006 9:08:25 PM

I tried to install a linksy route"wired" to my neighbors pc. Here is what I did. I released the static IP address from her Westel DSL modem. Then I hooked up the router just like instructed and renewed the Ip with "ipconfig/renew" . The pc says we are connected but I cannot connect to the internet. I have tried every trick in the books. I have disabled the firewall so not to interfere with the project. I have rebooted after renewing. I just cannot connect to the internet with the router hooked up. I then proceed to unhook the router, hook the DSL modem up by it's self. Release and renew the ip and reboot and I am on line with out the router hooked up. Has anyone run into this problem? Bruce

More about : router

March 1, 2006 1:45:44 AM

You need to clone your MAC address into the router. This is found in the Wan settings.
Your ISP has locked your service to your MAC Address.
March 1, 2006 12:43:14 PM

How do I get into the wan settings of the router when I cannot get on line with it? Is there a way to clone the mac address to the router without getting into it? Thanks Bruce
Related resources
March 1, 2006 1:05:50 PM

You don't need to be able to connect to the Internet to administer your router.

Try opening a web browser and typing http://192.168.1.1 in the address bar

What is the exact make/model of the router ?
March 1, 2006 1:20:44 PM

You can only use 192.168.1.1 when you don't have the router hooked up because it won't go online. I can type in 192.168.1.1 with out the router and I get a box with user and password. I type in admin in user name and leave password blank because we have no password, or I can type in admin in password and leave user name blank and it won't go no where.I though that admin was the user name. The model # for the linksy router is
BEFSR41 ver 4. Bruce
March 1, 2006 1:24:29 PM

I see that you did say that you don't need to be on the internet to acess your router. When I had the router hooked up and typed in 192.168.1.1 I got nothing but a page telling me that I could not get on line. Bruce
March 1, 2006 1:38:51 PM

I just tried to get into my routers D-Link 624 by typing in 192.168.1.1 and it will auto fill to www.192.168.1.1.com and will not acess my router. Used to get into it but can't now. Bruce
March 1, 2006 1:40:42 PM

Hi,

Try following this quick installation guide:
Quick Installation Guide

The User Manual (click me !) tells you on P74 how to clone MAC addresses.

The default login is to leave the username empty and to put admin as the password.

Delet the .com in your address bar. You need http://192.168.1.1

Let me know how you get on
March 1, 2006 1:44:57 PM

I tried deleting the .com and it fills it right back in to http://www192.168.1.1.com. Is there a way to turn the auto fill address off wiuth XP. Bruce
March 1, 2006 1:48:47 PM

sorry to waste you time on that last message. I had to type in http://192.16..0.1 to get into my router. I will attempt get into her router and clone the mac address. Bruce
March 1, 2006 1:51:42 PM

With Internet Explorer, goto

Tools
Internet Options
Content
Autocomplete

.. or simply enter the Address via the Start/Run button :wink:
March 1, 2006 4:46:24 PM

I went to my neighbors. I hooked up the router per instructions and could not acess it with 192.168.1.1 all I got was a page saying it could not connect. I found the mac address and to no avail I could not get int the routers setting to put the address in there. I have bought it home with me and I will unhook my D-Link and hook up the lynksy to see if I can figure what is going on. I have tried every trick in the book. Bruce
March 1, 2006 10:14:00 PM

Make sure you are not going through a "Proxy Server".
Settings in Internet Connections.

It sounds like you are not connecting to a DNS server.

Connect to the router and look at the Status Page.
It will say if its connected or not and give the WAN Vitals (dns, gatways).

If not present this need to be corrected before proceding.
March 1, 2006 10:27:30 PM

I have tried connecting to the router and with no luck. I Bought it to my house and had no problems. Explain what you mean connecting to a proxy server. Bruce
March 1, 2006 11:00:30 PM

If you hot swap a connection you may need to do a repair, for it to release and get a new IP.

Proxy settings are in Internet Options > connection > LAN settings > Should be set Auto, no others.
March 1, 2006 11:19:59 PM

I am about to give up. I had no luck with the router at my PC either. I cloned the mac address,repaired rebooted took a bath, came back and no luck. I just hooked my D- Link router back up. I believe there might be something wrong with the router. Bruce
March 1, 2006 11:48:38 PM

Try a loop back test. Connect a ethernet cable between the wan and lan. Then ping the lan port and see it you get a responce.

I had one router years back that the WAN port was bad, could send but not receive.

Try contacting the MFG for tech support.
March 2, 2006 2:31:24 AM

Sorry, could you explain alittle more. Cable fron lan to wan"meaning router" what comasnd do I use for pinging in cmd? Bruce
March 2, 2006 12:33:35 PM

Connect a cable from the wan port on the router to any lan port.

Then bring up a cmd prompt (located in prog files>accessories)
ping the ip address of the wan port "ping 192.168.1.1"

Were you able to connect to the router, and make changes?

You may need to do a reset back to factory, and start over. Some times settings get scrabled, or router gets confused. On some routers any time you make a chenge it best to do a restart, or the changes will not take affect.

Did I read there are 2 different routers Dlink and Linksys. Is this true?
March 2, 2006 2:26:38 PM

I assume that the wan port is the internet port on the router, that is the port that you plug your cat 5 into from the modem. I went from it to my lan card and pinged it and it was unreachable. I did try the other ports numbered 1 to 4 and they did ping. I tried resetting the router. I was never able to connect to the router. no I only have one router a D-Link wireless. The linksy belongs to my neighbor and I was trying to get it working for her. Bruce
March 2, 2006 4:02:27 PM

No, You need to have you pc connected via lan/cat5 cable. Loop the cable from wan/internet to lan 1-4.

To find the gate way yo may need to look at you properties on card/PC port.

I Think you need to do a Hard Reset and Start Over.

To do a hard reset, press and hold for 10 sec.
It may take a couple of minutes to restart and resore all setting to factory.

Then connect you computer in to LAN Port 1, XP tray (rt) should indicate when connected.
Launch you favorite Browser, In the address bar type "http://192.168.0.1" <CR or GO>

The router web interface should apear. Run the initial setup program.
March 2, 2006 6:10:27 PM

Ok, I run a cat 5 from my PC lan to port 1 on the router, then I run a ca5 from the wan"internet" port on router to port # 2 on router and the ping test did not work. . I did hard reset the router before I started. I could not acess the router. Bruce
March 2, 2006 6:50:36 PM

Were you able to connect to the router web interface (http://192.168.0.1) to do inital initial setup?

Your ping should be to address 192.168.0.1 ? You can verify this by double click the nic port, support, details.
March 3, 2006 1:14:53 AM

I was able to get to the router interface only after releasing the ip and renewing. It would only take 192.168.1.1. It would not ping at either 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1. Bruce
March 3, 2006 11:54:15 AM

That progress. When you did a release to get the new info? Was the Gateway the 192.168.1.1. Some times the default is 192.168.0.254. But can be set to any thing you like.

I least you were able to get an IP address. If you have internet service. make the connection to your WAN/Intenet port. Then run the connection wizzard. May need to clone your MAC address.

You should then check to see if you have GAT and DNS info.

This basic procedure will work with most all (your neighbors Linksys) routers.

If not you will need to contact the mfg. I suspect something is wrong with the router. I have got one some time back that the wan port was bad.
March 3, 2006 6:09:23 PM

Thanks for all the help. I believe with all that you have told me and countless hours of work we have a bad router. Thanks again. Bruce By the way do you know if you can still download updates for win98 . This mourning I could not get anything from ms but we had a error try again. Bruce
March 3, 2006 8:05:21 PM

The last time I tried I could. But that has been several months. I have set my router up to block all port 80 and others that related to internet access. Used for internal use only, now.
March 4, 2006 12:02:20 AM

Hi Bruce, Blue knows what he is talking about and I understand your frustration with the router. I installed the same router for my brother about 3 months ago and had some problems as well. My main problem was me trying to hard I think. I tried to do everything that the CD told me to do, but before using the CD. If you just put the CD in the computer that was working on the Internet and follow the instructions exactly, it should work unless it is broken.

Another thing is that there are ports marked on the back in very small hard to read spots. Internet is WAN and WAN is Internet, it stand for Wide Area Network, which the Internet truely is. I have also seen some routers that use port 1 as WAN alternative, so it may be best to connect your computer to port 4 just to be on safe side.

When I did this, I had a hard time getting the Internet even though it gave me an IP. The only way I was able to resolve it was to completely turn off all power to all machines for about a minute. If you have noticed, network cards in computers remain lit with the power switch off. This is so they can be wakened by remote access, this power sometimes maintains an address even though windows might think it is wiped. If you completely unplug everything for about a minute. It will truely give you a new IP when setup correctly. Just my 2 cents worth.
March 4, 2006 12:10:00 AM

I did follow the instruction on the cd and only made changes as indicated. The ports on the back are clearly marked and I had no trouble finding the Wan and port 1 to 4. I appreciate the advise because I have made errors in the past like that. The advise I have gotten from you all has been a valuable lesson and I have printed some out for future reference. I don't take lightly the advise you guys and girls give because I was the one asking the question. Here is a thank you hope to conference with you in the future. Bruce
March 6, 2006 3:41:10 PM

Just an interjection: One may be able to find mac address on the labels of various networking equipment.

I admit I skimmed the posts. Apologies if someone said this already.
March 11, 2006 3:23:44 AM

Since your moving the linksys to your home connection worked, and the setup at your neighbors showed a link but no internet connectivity I'm betting the neighbor's PC is running XP with the personal firewall enabled. Disable the firewall on the PC and you will get your internet connectivity.
P.S. don't forget to enable the firewall on the linksys. :wink:
March 11, 2006 5:17:51 PM

Nah, wrong again. I tried all of that. I had the same luck here. connected but can't get on the net. I was able to get into the routeras long as I hookes to it by it's self with no modem attached. It should be simple. My d-link did not work off the bat untill I did a firmware update. I don't know I can't get it to work on either PC. I have never had that problem before. I would give fifty dollor to watch someone get it working. Bruce
August 3, 2009 8:53:58 PM

hubbardt said:

August 3, 2009 8:53:58 PM

hubbardt said:

Anonymous
December 27, 2009 9:14:51 AM

BruceMyers48 said:
I tried to install a linksy route"wired" to my neighbors pc. Here is what I did. I released the static IP address from her Westel DSL modem. Then I hooked up the router just like instructed and renewed the Ip with "ipconfig/renew" . The pc says we are connected but I cannot connect to the internet. I have tried every trick in the books. I have disabled the firewall so not to interfere with the project. I have rebooted after renewing. I just cannot connect to the internet with the router hooked up. I then proceed to unhook the router, hook the DSL modem up by it's self. Release and renew the ip and reboot and I am on line with out the router hooked up. Has anyone run into this problem? Bruce

October 11, 2010 9:03:00 PM

This topic has been closed by Buwish
!