Group Policy for Internet Explorer - Please Help

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.setup,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I have been preparing a group policy on a Win2K server to lock down Win 2K
and XP workstations when using Internet Explorer. I can prevent someone
from using the "Open" option on the IE drop down menu, but I can't find a
group policy option to turn off the address bar. I find it difficult to
imagine that as powerful as group policies are, that the option does not
exist. Does anyone know where the option to turn off or disable the address
bar is????

I hate to think about having to turn it off on each individual workstation
and not being able to do it thru a group policy.

Thanks so much for your help,

Joe Hardin
Taylorsville, MS

spepa@c-gate.net
3 answers Last reply
More about group policy internet explorer help
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.setup,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    To disable the Address Bar from being shown, set the NoAddressBar value to 1
    Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbars\Restrictions

    To prevent the user from enabling the Address bar, set NoBandCustomize value to 1
    Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Joe Hardin" <spepa@c-gate.net> wrote in message news:%233ZxhED6EHA.2156@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    I have been preparing a group policy on a Win2K server to lock down Win 2K
    and XP workstations when using Internet Explorer. I can prevent someone
    from using the "Open" option on the IE drop down menu, but I can't find a
    group policy option to turn off the address bar. I find it difficult to
    imagine that as powerful as group policies are, that the option does not
    exist. Does anyone know where the option to turn off or disable the address
    bar is????

    I hate to think about having to turn it off on each individual workstation
    and not being able to do it thru a group policy.

    Thanks so much for your help,

    Joe Hardin
    Taylorsville, MS

    spepa@c-gate.net
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.setup,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Thanks Ramesh for the help, but now I'm a little more confused.

    The settings you have shown below appear to be registry settings that need
    to be set for the individual machine. Is that true? I just went and edited
    my internet restriction policy and I did not see the 2 areas below that you
    show. Can you give me a little more direction?

    Thanks again,

    Joe Hardin
    spepa@c-gate.net

[...]

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.setup,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Hi Joe,

    Not sure if the Group Policy equivalent are available in Win2k, for those two registry values. Perhaps this article would help:

    Distributing Registry Changes in Windows 2000:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/maintain/operate/distreg.mspx

    You may try this question here, as well:
    microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Joe Hardin" <spepa@c-gate.net> wrote in message news:%23SUO6pD6EHA.2012@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
[...]

Policy Internet Explorer Microsoft Windows XP