Sign in with
Your question

Partitioning 160gb SATA drive

Last response: in Storage
November 13, 2006 8:38:37 PM

I'm new and i've used the search function but you all have bigger discs than me use RAID n stuff so sorry for reposting:

How should i partition my 160gb drive?-
40GB OS/Programms
100gb Storage

also wanna have a section for Linux/vista so is a small 20gb gonna be ok for this?

Also, i read about putting the OS clostest to the centre for quicker access, is the centre the 1st partitions i make? (i'll be partitiong from the XP setup) ie: select 40gb, 100gb then 20gb

cheers
November 13, 2006 9:05:57 PM

Quote:
I'm new and i've used the search function but you all have bigger discs than me use RAID n stuff so sorry for reposting:

How should i partition my 160gb drive?-
40GB OS/Programms
100gb Storage

also wanna have a section for Linux/vista so is a small 20gb gonna be ok for this?

Also, i read about putting the OS clostest to the centre for quicker access, is the centre the 1st partitions i make? (i'll be partitiong from the XP setup) ie: select 40gb, 100gb then 20gb

cheers

I don't think you can exactly give the OS priority to the center partition and everyone else to the outside, if you could that'd be amazing. But otherwise, I'd simply go with a 40 GB Windows / 120 GB everything else out of preference.

On the other hand, with the linux, XP, and vista that's trickier. I really can't recommend you do this at all. You're better off getting rid of the XP partition and backing up to the 100 GB partition when Vista comes out and installing it on the old XP partition. I don't see any reason to keep XP if you'll be getting Vista in the future.

As for Linux, you could take 20 GB off the programs and leave that for Linux. I think you have to setup the partitions as FAT32 to get windows and Linux compatibility though.

Good luck with your endeavors ;)  I'm off to eat.
November 13, 2006 9:12:11 PM

didn't know about fat32 and linux. i'm fairly new to this so i think i'll hold back.

I'm gonna wait 6 months to a year for Vista to settle in anyway.

So is 40gb fine or overkill (i won't be playing huge games)
Related resources
November 13, 2006 9:29:06 PM

Quote:
didn't know about fat32 and linux. i'm fairly new to this so i think i'll hold back.

You could do it (the storage) in ext2 (from linux) and just install the ext2 driver for windows. Its really simple, and supports anything NTFS supports, except windows of course. I have a link. Not to mention, windows accesses it like an ordinary drive, so installing/playing games and such has no issues.

If you are going to install all three, you must install them in the proper order. XP, then Vista, then linux. That way the bootloaders recognize everything properly. Also, if you install linux, its a good idea to make a small (200 mb) partition for the /boot area for the linux bootloader. It makes everything much easier.

If you ask me, a good partition setup (for what you are saying): 30gb for XP, 200mb for the /boot area, 40 for linux, and the rest storage, formatted in the ext2 filesystem, as opposed to the NTFS or FAT32 for windows. Then, when vista goes on your computer, format/install the windows partition, then install vista. You'll then have to reinstall the grub bootloader(linux) which is easy enough to do, just ask someone. PM me if you like.

Good Luck!

Edit:
40 is a bit much, in my opinion. 20 is plenty for XP and for vista, maybe 30. All the rest can go in the storage area. You can just install to there, and your programs will be safely in that area. Just remember to actually do it 8O
November 13, 2006 9:55:28 PM

Quote:

You could do it (the storage) in ext2 (from linux) and just install the ext2 driver for windows. Its really simple, and supports anything NTFS supports, except windows of course. I have a link. Not to mention, windows accesses it like an ordinary drive, so installing/playing games and such has no issues.

If you are going to install all three, you must install them in the proper order. XP, then Vista, then linux. That way the bootloaders recognize everything properly. Also, if you install linux, its a good idea to make a small (200 mb) partition for the /boot area for the linux bootloader. It makes everything much easier.

If you ask me, a good partition setup (for what you are saying): 30gb for XP, 200mb for the /boot area, 40 for linux, and the rest storage, formatted in the ext2 filesystem, as opposed to the NTFS or FAT32 for windows. Then, when vista goes on your computer, format/install the windows partition, then install vista. You'll then have to reinstall the grub bootloader(linux) which is easy enough to do, just ask someone. PM me if you like.

Good Luck!

Edit:
40 is a bit much, in my opinion. 20 is plenty for XP and for vista, maybe 30. All the rest can go in the storage area. You can just install to there, and your programs will be safely in that area. Just remember to actually do it 8O

whats the easiest way to put the my documents on the storage partition?
November 13, 2006 11:10:15 PM

Unfortunately (as far as i know) you can't actually set windows to put the my documents folder in any place besides its default location. I'll snoop around in windows to see if there is any way to do it, and I'll get back to you. In the meantime, if anyone else knows how to do it, that would be nice.

If, however, you are looking for a place to put your music/etc., files best idea is to just move them there manually, then just set whatever program you use to that folder, rather than the default "my documents" folder. Then just set whatever you use to get the files (I don't want to know) to download to the folder on your storage drive. You'll then have a pretty good setup as far as I'm concerned.
!