Film scanners - any point....?

I have a Canon FS4000US film scanner. Seems to work OK and has good reviews.
I am a little disappointed when zooming in on detail that it seems rather
grainy. OK I am zooming in a lot on distant faces but will a better scanner
give any improvement in results or have I simply got down to the film grain
(most films ISO 200 or 400) and thats the limit. Is there any technique I
can use or any software that will 'improve' the results i.e. less grainy and
more detail? Neatimage does a cracking job on grain but does not improve
detail. Unsharp mask simply accentuates the grain. I have tried multiple
pass scans but no noticeable difference (even up to 16 passes). Any advice
gratefully received
2 answers Last reply
More about film scanners point

    On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 20:02:25 GMT, "SS" <xsx2000x@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >I have a Canon FS4000US film scanner. Seems to work OK and has good reviews.
    >I am a little disappointed when zooming in on detail that it seems rather
    >grainy. OK I am zooming in a lot on distant faces but will a better scanner
    >give any improvement in results or have I simply got down to the film grain

    Film grain will show patterns. If it doesn't then you are looking at
    the scanner "grain" or pixels.

    >(most films ISO 200 or 400) and thats the limit. Is there any technique I
    >can use or any software that will 'improve' the results i.e. less grainy and
    >more detail? Neatimage does a cracking job on grain but does not improve
    >detail.

    If you've reached the limit for either the scanner resolution, or film
    grain you can not really improve the detail. It can be done stacking
    multiple images, but that's a different ball game.

    > Unsharp mask simply accentuates the grain. I have tried multiple
    >pass scans but no noticeable difference (even up to 16 passes). Any advice
    >gratefully received

    My guess is you have reached one or both limits and you can not get
    detail where there never was any.

    Good Luck

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    Neither film nor digital has infinite resolution.
    Before a digital image breaks up and pixellates as you enlarge a section it
    seems "better" to many viewers because it appears to have less grain. In
    fact, despite grain, the film image generally contains more pictorial
    information.
    Is a paradox.
    Unless you are asking the impossible there are many techniques for treating
    the grainy appearance of film.
    Also there is a great difference between what you see in an enlarged section
    of an image on your monitor and what a final print looks like. You may find
    your prints look better than you think, especially if you do not print the
    image too large.

Scanners Canon Peripherals