Printer Detection Problem.

Hey, all.

I've got two desktops running XP Pro and a laptop running XP Pro all connected on a network. They've all been able to print up until yesterday.

Suddenly I can't print from my computer (a custom AMD build). I tried messing around with the settings but it wouldn't connect. So I deleted the printer and thought i'd try to find it again on my network, start fresh.

I click on Start > Settings > Printers and Faxes > Add Printer.

I then go through the Wizard and select "A network printer or printer attached to another computer," > "browse for printer." It says, "When a list of printers appears, select the one you want to use." However, no list ever appears.

I click next, but it tells me that I need specify a valid network printer name... There's nothing to choose from, but I know it's connected and I know it's set to be shared as the network printer.

Any ideas on what's wrong?

The printer is an HPDeskJet 3600. Thanks.
2 answers Last reply
More about printer detection problem
  1. And have you tried to print from your other computers?

Do you know the IP address of the Printer?
    if so, you can enter an http://ipaddress and search for it that way (bottom option).

What is your network configuration?
    All connected via ethernet, through a router or switch.
  2. Everything is connected through a router. The two desktops are hardwired and the laptop is wireless...

I got it working now, though. Don't know what the problem was, but I uninstalled and reinstalled the printer (even though I could use it from the other two computers).

It's working now, though.

Thanks anyway!
Ask a new question

Read More

Printers Network Printer Windows XP Networking