• Tuner
  • USB
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 14, 2006 1:21:57 AM

KWORLD TvUSB7011R USB 2.0 Combo TV Box - Retail
its $69.00 - $60 mail in rebate = $9.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

is it worth it?

More about : usb tuner worth

Anonymous
November 14, 2006 10:25:05 AM

Forget ANY USB tuner. Even if it's USB2 picture and sound will be asynchronous. These products should be banned alltogether.

I suggest you go for PCI
November 14, 2006 1:23:48 PM

usb is my only option now. but i figured its only $9 after the rebate. the only thing im goin to use it for is just watching and recording tv, and use it to turn my lcd monitor into a tv.
Related resources
Anonymous
November 14, 2006 3:05:35 PM

As I said. You will regret it. Buy a flower for your girl or something instead...
November 14, 2006 7:01:33 PM

hi.
i don't have any experience with usb tv cards,but
acynchronos record can happen and with pci cards.
not always but it happens sometimes.
the longer the video the biggest delay.
buy the card if you want it and you try it out.
especialy if you have a latest system it want't be any problem in recording.
November 15, 2006 2:06:18 AM

Fluff

You don't know what you are talking about.

I've been using an OnAir GT HDTV USB tuner for about six months with my HP dv1000 notebook. It is great.

www.Autumnwave.com is where you can get it.

It is dual analog and digital HD tuner. It gets its power from the USB port; no external AC adapter is necessary. If you're within a reasonable distance to your local HD broadcast stations, you'd be pleased with this tuner. It also includes a svideo in port for video capture.

The only issue is that occassionally it slows other apps down. In other words, stuff like web surfing suffers. A PC with a dual core CPU would probably resolve this issue.

The OnAir GT model uses a software encoder for analog video. So, it is not supported in Windows Media Center, if there isn't a separate analog tuner that does hardware encoding. But, there are rumors that some analog tuner modles with software encoders do, albeit with hacked drivers.

The other OnAir USB tuner, the OnAir Creator, does use hardware encoding, and it is supported in WMCE. It uses an external power supply, however.

I don't know anything about the Kworld model that drummerdude mentions.
November 15, 2006 3:16:08 PM

Hello,
It's Ryan Pertusio from AutumnWave. I thought I'd hop into the discussion since I saw the OnAir/AutumnWave tuner was mentioned (thanks BruxBox!)

Quote:
If your just watching and recording then that's fine. If you plan to play a game system through it you may run into some lag.
mpilchfamily,
For the OnAir GT, you won't notice lag. The OnAir Creator has a "Game Mode" setting in the options, where the encoder is bypassed, and lag is removed.

Quote:
Forget ANY USB tuner. Even if it's USB2 picture and sound will be asynchronous. These products should be banned alltogether.
OnAir Solution debutted the world's first USB 2.0 HDTV tuner in 2003. You will not experience asynchronous video/audio. Even at full HD (<20 Mbps), a USB 2.0 port is able to handle the bandwidth, and does so quite nicely.

Quote:
The only issue is that occassionally it slows other apps down. In other words, stuff like web surfing suffers. A PC with a dual core CPU would probably resolve this issue.

The OnAir GT model uses a software encoder for analog video. So, it is not supported in Windows Media Center, if there isn't a separate analog tuner that does hardware encoding. But, there are rumors that some analog tuner modles with software encoders do, albeit with hacked drivers.

The other OnAir USB tuner, the OnAir Creator, does use hardware encoding, and it is supported in WMCE. It uses an external power supply, however.
BruxBox,
You can probably resolve the "slows other apps down" problem by unchecking "Set thread with high priority" in the Options on the "Other" tab.

Regarding the OnAir GT in MCE, you are correct. You can either have an Analog tuner in the system already, or Install Kram drivers to overcome MCE's limitation. For the Creator, it is supported as an Analog TV tuner in MCE (not Digital yet) with no driver modification necessary.

Of course, you can view TV on MCE, XP, or 2000 using the included OnAir HDTV Program. Use either the antenna (Digital OTA or Analog) or use Cable (unencrypted Digital or Analog).

Thanks,
- Ryan Pertusio

AutumnWave Technical Support
OnAir Solution North America
http://www.autumnwave.com/
May 17, 2007 8:21:16 AM

Dear,

If you are only paying 9 bucks for an USB TV Tuner, I believe you will regret it in the end even if it's only 9 dollars.

PS
I Love my new slick KWorld HD Hybrid Stick 330.
May 22, 2007 6:01:35 AM

I own a DVICO Fusion 5 USB and its actually pretty sweet. It has a QAM/ATSC/NTSC tuner. I don't use the ATSC but the QAM allows me to pick up all my unencrypted HD and Digital channels for no extra fees. Its more expensive than most but I think its well worth it. It works pretty well on XP but I must admit on Vista the software could be better (and is getting better). The only thing I'm really having trouble with Vista is that Timeslip is pretty buggy.

I found out about this tuner from the AVS forums because alot of people seem to be using them and it was a popular topic on the forums. To be honest despite its Vista flaws its totally worth it just for the QAM tuner. The HD picture and audio is just amazing on this thing as well and It rarely skips a beat.

I get my local sports and all my favorite primetime shows in HD. Don't get HD Discovery over the air but its not a big loss.

The tuner runs about $150 but WELL WORTH IT. I'd rather watch HD on my 19" monitor than watch standard definition on my 27" tube.
5/5 on XP and 4/5 on Vista
!