Supergoal

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
Having built a new machine I now find myself on a few occasions being angered by the system shutting its arse down when I least expect it to.

I tried to install Zonealarm but as soon as that got under way the system shutdown and rebooted constantly untill I manually put it into safe mode.

There was an error message recorded by Windows, but hell knows what it means.

A bit vauge I know, but does anyone know what I'm on about?

System spec:

Asus P5B Deluxe
E6600
Ati x1950pro
XP

mad-dog

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
Well, to be honest with you..........
You're probably like 90% of the other noobs and are willing to spend big money on motherboard, processor, ram, case, fans and lighting but paying any more than $50 for a power supply is ludicrous.
So i would suggest you start there and work your way up/down.

I'm sorry, but it's really insulting to us when you supply the least amount of information and expect the most amount of help....

Cost of Noob's mega-machine game computer:$2,000
Cost of Noob's cheap-oh power supply: $50.oo
Cost of look on Noob's face when system crashes during the 12th level of WoW:..........PRICELESS

Supergoal

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
Temperature is at 42C and 45C while idling.

All new hardware and new PSU unit. 650 watt running just one gfx card and one HDD, one DVD drive and of course the core 2 duo.

I think it is a software issue more than a power one. Since when this send error message to Microsoft box appeared I had a look to see if I could understand the message and it seems to be linked to a file....

If the PSU was cutting out, then surely there would be no error message on reboot?

Supergoal

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
After going into safe mode, I uninstalled zonealarm rebooted to normal mode and it now works fine.

I think there was one other program that also did a similar thing too, can't remember now. However Isn't it wierd why it would crash just due to a program that seems so simple...

mad-dog

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
Now i feel bad for assuming the worse, can i buy you some flowers....

No seriously, a good anti-virus program like "bit-defender" has it's own built-in firewall and is always a better choice then using 12 different programs for firewall, spam, popups, virus, spyware, malware....
conflicts are bound to happen with multiple protection software.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
I use no protection. :wink:

But I use Nvidia firewall that came with my mobo, no antivirus crap as I generally don't download stupid stuff and if I were to get a virus I have no problem reformatting my drive or starting over :)