ATi's Desktop Chipset Roadmap

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
ATi's Desktop Chipset Roadmap

A quick look at ATi's future in the chipset market

ATI’s upcoming RS690 series of chipsets include the RS690, RS690C which are both integrated graphics products. There isn’t much mention of official product names for RS690 and RS690C yet, however, the roadmap hints towards Radeon Xpress 1250 and Radeon Xpress 1200 for RS690 and RS690C respectively. Both integrated graphics chipsets feature a Radeon X700 derived graphics core with support for AVIVO technology. AVIVO features such as vector adaptive de-interlacing and advanced downscaling are supported for an improved media PC experience. The graphics core is equipped with four pixel-pipelines as well.

Further down the product roadmap are the RD790, RX790, RS790 and RS740 chipsets. These chipsets will arrive in the second half of 2007 and first half of 2008. RD790 will be the first to arrive and will carry the CrossFire Xpress moniker. This will be a high end enthusiast chipset with support for AMD’s 4x4 platform. It will support socket 1207 processors, AMD’s Hyper Transport 3.0 specification and quad-core processors. Four graphics cards and PCI Express 2.0 will be supported as well. Replacing the upcoming RX690 will be the RX790. RX790 will be a single graphics slot product with support for Hyper Transport 3.0.
On the integrated graphics side of things will be RS790 and RS740. These two chipsets will feature an integrated graphics, though it is unknown which graphics core it will be derived from. RS790 will be the high end integrated graphics offering with support for Microsoft’s upcoming DirectX 10 architecture. ATI’s Universal Video Decoder is also supported. RS740 will have a DirectX 9 graphics core and no support for ATI’s UVD

One thing that immedietly stands out to me is the lack of support for crossfire for Intel cpus and also non-socket 1207 motherboards...which leaves only the ultra high end for cpus in order to use crossfire

Even though crossfire is considered an enthusiasts option there are numerous people who don't buy top end processors and get dual gpu solutions.

This is so disappointing. i hope this doesn't prove to be true at all. If this is so wusy is going to break down if they don't make this board although its very surprising that ZZF would have it for pre-order but ATi would say its not in there road map

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
What i didn't see in there was a Intel chipset for Crossfire, i only saw that they would support AMDs 4x4 with Crossfire. if that is the case not only is AMD and ATi shooting themselves in the foot, it looks as though they are trying to monopolize the high end market which is ridiculous. It looks like multi gpu solutions will swing to nvidia's favor especially since i don't see very many people wanting to spend $1000 on AMDs 4x4 just like not many people would spend that much on a Core 2 Quad,

Myopic

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
What do you think the results of a couple Barcelona cores on a 4X4 with 2 16 lane PCI-e Graphics cards would be (beyond extreme overkill) 8O

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
There are no Barcelona CPUs coming up, i guess your referring to what is now named the Agena cpu

3026_large_AMD_Nov2006_Roadmap.png

Check out the rest of the info HERE!

Myopic

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
And with the aquisition of ATI to give a hand in glove fit for the chipset :) AMD might be able to roll over intel if they can impliment it better than recent history

Myopic

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Amen to that! Thinkin of gettina C2D but really rootin for AMD. Sorta fanboy from thier last underdog days.

Myopic

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
As a broad overview of what AMD\ATI has for the future near and far the potential is there for 2 or three jumps forward in rapid succession. Then again I'm a noob that hardly has time to do a lot of reading and can't understand 3/4 of what I do read beyond a vague perception of seeming comprehension. (in other words I get confused at all the goblygook :cry: )

Myopic

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
On die controller would be playin catch-up with AMD but the efficiency intel seems to have brought to their new arch seems to emply on die would allow them to keep ahead of AMD.
Didn't I see a few articles on the laser procsesor about a month back om THG?

Myopic

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Thanks for the insight :D Boy, saw the thread on ATI chipset(Friggin oops). Some of these guys seem to want blood for a simple mistake! You didn't have to sacrifice your firstborn or anything to make up for it did you? FUD or non-FUD, that seemed exsesive. For us noobs its a bit intimidating to begin with and it only gets harder when we see such a childish display of pique. I have apriciated posts by you, dasickninja and others and truly apriciate the time and effort you all put in to this forum. Its the first place I check after my home page, THG. Thank you

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
Some new info

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4945

The ATI CrossFire Xpress 1600 chipset will be renamed to AMD 480X CrossFire. This is the second time the RD480 chipset has been renamed. It was previously named Radeon Xpress 200 CrossFire until ATI changed it to CrossFire Xpress 1600 to match the then newly released RD580 Radeon Xpress 3200 nomenclature. Features of the AMD 480X CrossFire remain unchanged. The chipset still supports two half-speed PCI Express x16 slots in CrossFire with a PCIe link to the SB450, SB460 or SB600 south bridges.

The enthusiast ATI RD580 CrossFire Xpress 3200 will be renamed AMD 580X CrossFire. Features of the AMD 580X CrossFire will remain the same. The chipset will continue to support two full-speed PCIe x16 slots with a PCIe link to the SB450, SB460 or SB600 south bridges.