For those looking for an AGP solution, Plz read this

Darkchyld

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
I recently upgraded my AGP card to a 7800GS from an ATI 9600. The differance in the new games was impressive to say the least. Then the othe night I wanted to play an older classic, Aliens v Predator. Nope :roll:
Done some looking for a solution and found I'm not the only one with this issue. How many of you fine folks out there have a large libary of "classic" games. Dungeon Keeper 1+2, Theif, System Shock 2, Drakan. You won't play them on a Nivida 7800, or other "newer" Nvidia cards.
See this first
If Nvidia hasn't a fix by Christmas, ATI has a new customer.
DC

Xazax310

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
The problem isn't with Nivida its with the newer technology used. Remember your playing with a 7800 that has SHR 3.0 and so many new feature that older games cannot recognize. For instance when i tried to play medieval total war (the first one) on my 7900GT it just crashed every time, but when i installed my older X800XL it ran perfectly no crashes, this is due to the newer SHR 3.0 whereas the X800XL uses 2.0.

Darkchyld

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Ok, I can see older games not using the new features but why the total incompatibilty? To outright "Turn off" the abilty to support older software seems... what the word, well frustrating :roll: at the least. I feel like I've got a large "investment" in games over the years and if I had known before my purchase it would have been a major influance. While I personally have not attemped to contact Nvidia I see in other forums that others have and not gotten any where. For now I will be pataint and see what comes of it, still I'm kinda disappointed. :cry:

Darkchyld

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
I think Nvidia just left something out of their drivers. In another forum some stated that the 66.xx drivers will allow AvP to run but will cause other issues with newer games.