Anyone have the GA-M55SLI-S4?

DukeDave

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
Hi, I only just joined, sorry about taking so long to reply.

I have this board and am very happy with it's performance to date.

AMD Athlon 64 3500+
2gb Corsair DDR667
2x Gigabyte 7600GT
2x Seagate 7200.10 200Gb
3x Pioneer DVR110

G

What driver do you use on page 78, step 4 of sata drive installation, in the manual if not using raid?

Toester

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2002
yup, got it but not too happy! had to rma the first one, and the second one has its own problem! You see, after you change the ht x to 3 or 4 in the bios,upon reboot, when looking at info in cpu-z, it still is the same 5x it was before!! Your htt speed will still be at 1000. I have to use "ntune" now, to change the ht multiplier, and then use "a64info" to increase bus speed.You can use ntune to increase your bus as well, but,it only allows an overclock of up to 25%. With my x2 3800 am2 that would limit me to 2.5ghz. Although that ran fine,I wanted to see if it could be squeezed higher, so presently am running it with the help of "a64info"at 2.675ghz with a vcore of 1.425, netting me a temp of 34.c with 2 instances of f@h runnin'. Also, though I've heard that these new chips don't like 1/2 steps in multi's, I had to turn mine down to a 9.5 multi. If I keep it at 10x, I can't get it to run higher than 2.5ghz, period.
Other than that she runs stable 24/7...

omgitslong

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
If you don't use RAID and just use one SATA hard drive like me, just leave everything alone.

and also, anyone using this RAM?? Corsair CM2X512A-6400. I ran memtest86+ on it and it gave me tons of errors. I don't have any other mobo to test it on. I'm RMAing my mobo because I believe something is wrong with it since it wasn't stable and causing my RAM to run errors.

Hopefully it's my mobo or sumthing else, if not, I'll have to RMA my RAM too :(

also, CPU-Z read my RAM as 5-5-5-18 instead of 5-5-5-12 from manufacturer, and I don't OC.

Anyone knows if my RAM, Corsair CM2X512A-6400, is compatible with my motherboard, Gigabyte M55SLI-S4?

omgitslong

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
yes I know... but I messed up.. I misread it somehow and got the CM2X512A-6400 instead of the CM2X1024-6400C4 8O I don't know how I made that mistake, but I did. :oops:

Toester

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2002
I see that you don't o/c but could you go into your bios and hit "ctrl" and f1, bringing up the "advanced" list and go in and change your nb-->ht multi to 3 or 4, restart and see if it stays at whichever one you chose? You'll see the change if you have "cpu-z" installed------but if you'd rather not, no biggy! I just wanted to see if it was just another bad mobo for me, or if they all did that! { re:4 msg's above}

And, if you haven't checked lately, there is a new bios out for this mobo..."f6", as it may help you with your mem probs!

G

I just ordered the Wintec AMPX 512mb 800 off newegg and a cheap $32 gpu. I am going to see if I can get this build, my first, to boot up, then I will order xp home.

So, if I use only 1 Sata HDD, I just leave it alone and see if windows recognizes it when I try to install it?

G

Should I update my BIOS to F6 before I install XP, or wait until I install, and use @BIOS?

G

What is flashing? I have seen it in the manual, but really dont know what its about. I dont know the answer to your question.

omgitslong

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
it's the same as the term 'updating', but for BIOS, it's call 'flashing'

in the bundled CD, it should have a program, install that, then connect to the internet and 'flash' the newest bios, or simply download it straight from the Gigabyte site.

After you install, it asks you to restart(I believe), then go to BIOS, and choose 'Load Optimized Default' to load the latest BIOS you've just downloaded.

omgitslong

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
btw, hey Toester, Right click My Computer, and click Properties. Click the Hardware tab, and then click the Device Manager button. Expand Processors...

does it shows 2 processors like this?
dualcpu6ps.jpg

if not, you should check this out in the AMD forum. It will guide you step-by-step to enable your processor's dual-core potential.

Hope this help.

DukeDave

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
What driver do you use on page 78, step 4 of sata drive installation, in the manual if not using raid?

It was a bit hard to find which driver to use but the following page has the files required to do it:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Driver_DownloadFile.aspx?FileType=Driver&FileID=2797

Just run the exe and create the floppy disc you will need during setup, the files are on the CD that came with the motherboard, I used option "I", read note on bottom of page 80.

As for some of the other questions regarding bios etc, "if it aint broke, dont fix it". I did find on other sites a problem with RAM voltage saying that the board only supports 1.8v RAM by default.

omgitslong

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
do you know any software that read your RAM's voltage? 'cause I don't see it in the BIOS, but haven't try Ctrl+F1 in BIOS yet. My RMAed mobo is coming this upcoming Thursday though =p

So if my RAM's spec is 2.1V (read my previous post), do I have to tweak my BIOS for RAM to +0.3V for the RAM? I'm afraid if it's at 2.1V already, and I might set it to 2.4V. O_O!!

DukeDave

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
do you know any software that read your RAM's voltage? 'cause I don't see it in the BIOS, but haven't try Ctrl+F1 in BIOS yet. My RMAed mobo is coming this upcoming Thursday though =p

So if my RAM's spec is 2.1V (read my previous post), do I have to tweak my BIOS for RAM to +0.3V for the RAM? I'm afraid if it's at 2.1V already, and I might set it to 2.4V. O_O!!

I am not into OC'ing, just building them to work. I do not know of or use any software for measuring the voltages. From what I am able to find out about this board, it runs at 1.8v as default and you would have to increase it 0.3v to get the voltage you want.

G

I saw that note on page 80, but thanks for letting me know which one. So you used I? That says its for 2K raid.

DukeDave

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
You mat have a different version of the CD to me, I am in Australia.
I used the driver that was for the "Nvidia C51 Series RAID XP".
When you select the driver during the XP install, just install the nforce storage controller not the raid controller. This driver is for the interface, the other one adds to that and tells XP how to use a raid array.

G

Ya, its different.

Just to let you all know, I just got my PC to boot up into BIOS on first try! My first Build! that was so exciting!

All I need now is XP. :( ....

and some uprades. :D

omgitslong

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
Somehow when I flashed the original BIOS version(F4) to F6, it gives me tons of errors in Memtest86+, but none on the F4 version. =/

Anyone have any idea how to solve this? and how do I restore back to the old BIOS? I tried taking out the battery, but it didn't work..

:?

DukeDave

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
Have you rebooted since the bios update?

When you reboot you have to go into the bios and "load setup defaults" then change any settings you want to change.

Hope this helps.

omgitslong

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
I did that after I flashed my BIOS. Argh..... I hate this F6 BIOS... how can I revert back to F4.. the manual doesn't mention anything about it. AND I searched up google :(