(windows) explorer.exe uses 100% CPU

RGR

Distinguished
May 31, 2005
Going into directories with al large amount of picures the windows explorer takes immediately 100% CPU and parallizes my machine (XP pro SP2; 512MB RAM 700MHz AMD). Accessing direcories with lot of pictures on the 2nd slave HD and on a CDROM the same problem occurs. Building up thumbnails is very slow and they are smaller than usual. Using other programs like Adobe Photoshop there is no problem building up pictures. Hardware runs properly. Since I have installed XP on a new HD this problem occurs. Can anyone help?

slicessoul

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
Uncheck the previewing pictures in thumbnail would help i think.

Change the view options into details or list. It help to reduce the CPU utilization since it won't render pictures one by one in thumbnail or icon.

Re-organize all pictures into different folder or using third party software for reorganizing pictures can help too.

mr_fnord

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Put some RAM in that thing. If it's swapping while trying to access hundreds of megs of images, it will slow it down even more. Like the previous posters said, drawing thumbnails is probably the problem. Adobe is probably more efficient at it than explorer. If you separate out your directories or disable thumbnail viewing it should alleviate the problem.

Honestly, if you are doing video editing or even file serving the cheapest whitebox computer you can buy would outperform this one. You might consider spending $300 on a Best Buy special, or even less to put together a low cost dual core MB/CPU/RAM off newegg.

RGR

Distinguished
May 31, 2005
Thanks for your reply. Strange thing is: the slave HD now, was the master before with the same XP and less of RAM. It did work well. No problem at all building up the thumbnails. Now the former master (maxtor20GB) is slave and a new maxtor 80GB is the master. And I added a 256MB RAM. Since I have the same problem with the old HD and on a CD-ROM, and running other programs is no problem, I guess the problem is in the new RAM or in the explorer. AVG did not detect any virusses........

Thanks for your reply. Strange thing is: the slave HD now, was the master before with the same XP and less of RAM. It did work well. No problem at all building up the thumbnails. Now the former master (maxtor20GB) is slave and a new maxtor 80GB is the master. And I added a 256MB RAM. Since I have the same problem with the old HD and on a CD-ROM, and running other programs is no problem, I guess the problem is in the new RAM or in the explorer. AVG did not detect any virusses........

Hmmm... I can see this turning into a S&M topic...

Anywaste, before you turned the former master HD into a slave HD, did you format it? Just asking out of curiosity.

Just to be sure, is the RPM of your 80GB HD just as high or higher than your old 20GB HD?

AMDThunder

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
Sounds like a virus to me. I know from experience. :) At least the symptoms sound eerily familiar. Norton would find it, but had to delete in manually in safe mode. Royal pain in the rump that was. Wish I could remember which virus, but I can't. Good luck.

RGR

Distinguished
May 31, 2005
No, I did not format the old 20GB HD. It still contains the data as it was during its master-task. Now the 80GB HD is a lot quicker. DOes the RMP matter? Buying a new HD I looked for compatibility with the mainbord.

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Going into directories with al large amount of picures the windows explorer takes immediately 100% CPU and parallizes my machine (XP pro SP2; 512MB RAM 700MHz AMD). Accessing direcories with lot of pictures on the 2nd slave HD and on a CDROM the same problem occurs. Building up thumbnails is very slow and they are smaller than usual. Using other programs like Adobe Photoshop there is no problem building up pictures. Hardware runs properly. Since I have installed XP on a new HD this problem occurs. Can anyone help?
I think that Photoshop is more efficient building thumbnails of pics because it saves a thumbnail with the file. Windows does not, and therefore has to create the thumbnails when you open the folder. Hence the performance hit.

Do you absolutely need those thumbnails?