Sign in with
Your question

Wireless laptop can only connect to 1 of 2 access points

Last response: in Wireless Networking
March 1, 2006 8:33:22 PM

I have a Linksys PCMCIA card in my laptop (WPC54GS). I also have two Linksys Access points in my network (WAP54GX). Both access points have same SSID and one of them is set to channel 6 and the other is set to channel 1. I'm using 128b WEP encryption and the WEP key is identical for both access points and the PCMCIA card. Here's my problem, I can connect to the access point on channel 6 just fine, but it will not see or connect with the channel 1 access point when I roam or ever for that matter. The laptop is running Win XP if that helps. I also have a Win 98 laptop with a Belkin wireless card that can roam freely between the two access points and switch channels back and forth with no problem whatsoever. So I'm thinking its a Win XP problem not seeing the access point on a different channel. Hopefully this is clear and someone can help me. This is an office wireless network therefore the security encryption is necessary. Thanks for your help.
March 1, 2006 10:00:34 PM

Your AP's should have different SSID's. Having the same name is causing the conflict.

Then set MS Zero Config to auto connect.
Related resources
!