Migrating array...

I have 2x 160GB SATA drives plugged into a SIL3114 controller on my pc, unfortunately, my board has lasted out of the warranty and died...

Will it be a case of plugging the drives in on my new board and letting the raid controller detect the array... or am I going to need to be creative?
7 answers Last reply
More about migrating array
  1. Which RAID? 0, 1?

With RAID 1, no problem. Raid 0? I don't know if you can pull it off.
  2. If you can get another motherboard (or standalone PCI card) that uses a SIL3114 controller, then yes, you can just plug the drives in, and it should recognize the RAID-0 array.

If that's not an option, then you're looking at data recovery. I recommend RAID Reconstructor by Runtime. (Same people who make GetDataBack for NTFS).

It's reasonably inexpensive and I've tested it on a controller-less 2-drive RAID-0 and retrieved all the data.
  3. Raid 0 and there's going to be a new controller... so yeah will have to go the data recovery route...

thanks for the help peoples...
  4. You can probably save the array if you bought a PCI card with the SiI3114 chip like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16816132006 $23

After you retrieve the important data, rebuild the array on the new controller. It might work and it's a lot cheaper than data recovery.
  5. Yeah i'm thinking the same...

Inexpensive in the USA is helluva expensive here in SA :cry:
  6. I think the easiest way to do ti would be to wait till i have the new pc, then find someone who has a Sil controller either on-board or that i can borrow and then move the data onto the new drives i'm buying...

:-D
  7. Make sure the firmware level of the sil3114 is the same as before, I tried before and you know what...... ka boom...... all gone....
Ask a new question

Read More

SATA Controller NAS / RAID Storage Product