Votes: 7 77.8%
  • Stop living in the past its Core2Duo or bust

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters

trinitron64

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
This is what it has come to.

I am asking now... should I work towards upgrading my CPU or my Video Card.

my cpu is A64 s939 3700+ running at 2.7Ghz (San Diego core 1mbL2)
my gpu is ATi AGP r420 running at x800xtpe speeds

With dual core and quad core cpus rolling out... do I really need a new cpu? Does my FX-55 speed (soon to be FX57 speed cpu) single core processor need to be replaced? I am not a benchmark whore, I just like to play CSS and BF2 and flight sims...

On CSS stress test at 1600x1200 with everything set on high i get average 96fps and the game runs smooth as hell.

If I upgrade to a DX10 card (when they come out) how long could I hold on to my current CPU?

Thank you. 8O

The CPU is fine, unless you are bothered by occasional balkiness caused by background tasks.
Your frame rate isn't exactly wailing for an upgrade. You didn't mention your financial situation, but in your place I would wait until some new requirement dictates a change. Maybe "Fields of Carnage 2007" will benefit from a multicore CPU, or perhaps "Yours Truly, Madame X" will require a DX10 card for maximum photo-realism.

Can your PSU handle a DX10? What if your CPU smokes on that last MHz? It looks like you're waiting on one more "something" to happen which will make this decision obvious. If you want to see if dual core matters at all, get a S939 X2 chip now, and plan on building a whole new C2D system later that will also have a DX10 card in it.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I'll tell you this right, now... MS Flight Sim 10 will bring a 8800GTX to it's knees with everything turned to ultra-high...

It depends, if you game a lot, then the GPU would be your first choice by all means, if you do encoding and photoshop/video editing, then the CPU should be foremost. Either way, most apps don't need that powerful a CPU for everyday tasks... so if gaming is the main concern, then just get a better GPU and call it a day.

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Upgrade the video card.Your processor is fine for now as i take it you game.Although games are starting to take advantage of dual core processors,single cores will work fine for a few more months.I recommend new video card and then a cpu when you upgrade the whole machine.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.4 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X EVGA 7800GT IN SLI
2X1GIG DDR IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR 1280X1024
ACE 520WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
You're at a point where upgrading is indeed a difficult decision. If you're limited to AGP, you won't see a DX10 card that will do much for you so you're looking at a new mobo when that time comes. Since you'll be looking at a new mobo, and the new AMD's are AM2, you won't be able to use your old DDR memory and will need to buy DDR2.

If you just want to upgrade for now with the understanding that you'll be replacing the system in 6 months or a year, you can pretty much break it down to how much you want to spend on things you can't transfer to your new system, i.e., GPU, CPU, and memory.

Not very nice options but that's the reality of it if you want to stay on top.

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
i am getting Asrock that has AGP8x and PCIE16x

Ah - that changes the GPU equation. You've got room for an upgrade there but you may want to see how things shake out in the DX10 market before you pull the trigger on a newer card. Like others have said, your CPU is fine but take a look at how much multitasking you do and if that's your priority. Might be a bigger boost from another gig of RAM.

If you're into flight sims, the "wailing and knashing of teeth" over FSX is starting to calm down a little and some excellent tweeks, tips, and solutions are out there. Check out the flight sim forums for some good (and not so good) hardware performance discussions.