Rant: Damn LCDs are too expensive!

stephpar

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2002
I find it so frustrating how much more LCDs are to CRTs. I currently have a 19inch OPtiquest V95 CRT, and it's starting to go on me. I'm ready to jump to a CRT. My typical desktop resolution has been 1280*1024 so a 17inch LCD seems like the logical choice, but living in Canada that means around $1300-1500 for something decent. That is just too much. SO then i look at 15inch LCDs, and my buddy that swears by his Samsung 151s...the best thing since sliced bread he says....but that's stuck at 1024*768, and it's still damn expensive (cheapest i've found is $580CAN), and i don't really know if it's really that good. I am a gamer, but i surf and read online far more. I'm prepared for those trade-offs vs a CRT, but i just can't deal with the price. Do people in this forum (which i must say is full of great info...way to go boys) truly believe that prices will come down substantially more than they have already for LCDs....

Rant (or whine) now over!

Steph

--------------------------
Just a broke Canadian Boy!

nanyangview

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2002
Sorry dude, LCD's are VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY HARD AND BLOODY F'ING hard to make and that is reflected upon it's price. I dun wanna go into details but the technology involved at manufacturing LCDs are very complicated and you need a $600million LCD plant to make those dream screens. So it is logical that we pay a higher price for this wonderful tech. Well, you can get the Nec 1700V or the Samsung 760V, all 17 inchers LCD with superb display quality from Futureshop. www.monitordepot.com has a wide range of LCDs to choose from.
Happy Shopping.
BTW, i got a 17inch Samsung 171S (silver model) and it is SUPERB!!

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Mmmm, sliced bread. Prices should go down this summer....they have been on the rise lately b/c of supply and demand bla bla bla. Anyways, prices should go down, so let's see how much it costs then.

Sig of the week.

stephpar

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2002
well there's no argument that there's alot of tech involved in LCDs, but that's my guess as to what is going to keep the prices high. Is monitor depot canadian? I find that futureshop is limited to what models they sell, but that could just be me.

Last question (for this post)....how's the quality of the 760V or the nec 1700V?...DVI connection?

Thx again for the replies folks...
steph

nanyangview

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2002
Yep. monitor depot is a Canadian store based in Ontario Toronto. I know futureshop sells limited models but the two panels I mentioned is OK. The Nec 1700V has a slower pixel response time of 40MS. ( I have used both panels before.) Other than that, everything is good! The 760v has a 25MS response time. Samsung makes the best LCDs out there! Both panels are analog. Why spend $ on DVI while it does not make much difference at all?

stephpar

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2002
good to know...i think i would have to go for a 25ms response time since i like to play games too. I wish there were some more options for monitors at good rates in Vancouver where i could actually plug the thing in. There are lots of high volume computer dealers, but there focus on customer support is lacking. I want to see if there are dead pixels *before* i buy...

I definitely like the Samsung's too...but they sure are expensive. How about the Viewsonic ones?

Steph

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
The word I hear in the market says LCD prices will increase as the summer approaches.

15" Panels for example have gone up $10 - $15 every month for the last few months. Pressure in the 15" market will influence the 17" market.

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer
Cornerstone / Monitorsdirect.com

<A HREF="http://www.monitorsdirect.com" target="_new">MonitorsDirect.com</A>

profjo00

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002
LCD screen's cost a lot of money. if you go with a samsung, like i did their tech supports are great and they told me that if i had 3 or more dead pixels in the corner then i could change to get a new one or one in the middle. hehe thats great, only one dead pixel and i can return it for a new one, while other companies tell me 7 or 8 pixels before a change.

stephpar

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2002
That's very good info to know. unfortunately, i'm pretty sure i can't deal with a 1024*768 resolution, so i'll be needing to save up for a (long) while to get the 1000CAN that i'll need at least to pick something up. And of course i still need to pay rent and eat too...LOL.

Steph