Wireless Network 5 PC's with ADSL

JHoxley

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2002
hi all,

you guys have been really helpful in the past, so I'm fingers-crossed here hoping that you can help me out again :) (I'll return the favour if/when I can!)

I need to solve this problem ASAP - within 2 days if possible (I leave home on Friday of this week for university).

The situation is thus:
5 PC's (3 towers, 2 laptops) all reasonably new hardware. Living in rented student accomodation and need to set up a wireless network.

We need to share files and to share a 1mb broadband connection.

Now, I've found out loads of stuff about this (Belkin's wizards are great), however there is one serious problem: <b>THEY ALL RELY ON A GATEWAY PC</b> (correct term I believe!?). That is, 1 PC has broadband in and a router out - it acts like the server that the other 4 connect to.

This isn't any good for my situation because we don't really want to leave any of our computers on 24/7 (but we may well need/want to use the internet 24/7)..

So, my question to you lot - could you recommend 6 (or more if needed) pieces of hardware that go something along the lines of:

2 PCMCIA wireless cards for the laptops
3 USB/PCI wireless cards for the towers
1 Router/adapter
1 Modem

The intended setup being that the wire comes into the house, we plug in said modem/router and thats-that..

I dont think the modem we get from the telecom will be good enough, as its intended for 1 computer use only..

the wireless speed isn't too important, so the cheaper 11mbit stuff will suffice (802.11b instead of 802.11g)

Any help is greatly appreciated,
Cheers,
Jack

JHoxley

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2002
I'm not 100% sure, but they typically give you a modem that has a USB connection on it.

But if the cable fits the wireless router (ethernet or USB) then we should be able to get away with just connecting the 2 directly?

cheers,
Jack