Will 2 identical single-channel DDR2 work in dual-channel?

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
If I buy 2 sticks of the EXACT SAME single-channel 1GB DDR2 PC4200 seperately and put them in the dual-channel slots on a mobo (slots 1 & 3), will they work in dual channel mode? Thanks

cdonato

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
You would be better off buying a kit with matched chips that are tested together if you are going to be buy 2 chips new anyway. This way its a guarantee & not a chance that the chips may be the same models but have a slightly different spec due to manufacturing variation. Crucial, Corsair, OCZ, Kingston all sell matched kits for dual channel

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
Thanks. I was just trying to save some $$ and was wondering if it would work. I can get 2 single 1GB sticks cheaper than a 2x1GB pair.

They dont even need to be identical to run dual channel. You will simply be limited to the timings of the lowest spec stick.

Short answer is thought that a matched pair would probably be the easiest option.

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Dual channel is determined by the motherboard.
You should read the motherboard manual on RAM before buying anything to make sure your RAM specs match up with what the motherboard supports.

You can buy 2 single sticks and use it as dual channel.... How do you think we did it before the manufacturer's thought of selling dual channel kits? :p
I've done it on all my computers. Dual channel kits are for a little extra assurance and pure marketing.
I've only seen kingston market RAM sticks as "single channel only" and that isn't correct.

A caveat: Intel has less strict guidelines for dual channel operation. AMD is a little more strict. In my experience I've found that as long as you stick w/ a good brand name, you shouldn't have any issues.

(Altho I've read about people having issues w/ OCZ and some new motherboards, you might want to search around w/ the Search option if you're worried about it).

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Yup, as mentioned, the only real difference between buying a "dual channel kit" and a pair of identical RAM modules from the same maker is that the kit comes in one package.

There is no fundamental difference between "dual-channel" and "single-channel" modules. So long as they have pretty much the same specs, they will work together; speed can actually be different, as I recall, as it will, with any SDRAM setup, just clock down the fastest modules to match the slowest ones. The only real requirement is, I recall, that both modules be of the same size.

Of course, a dual-channel kit usually winds up being slightly cheaper than buying the chips separately... But if you can buy the separate chips cheaper, there's no need to worry about it.

"Dual channel" simply means that the motherboard northbridge chipset, (in an Intel board, or a 32-bit AMD board) or the CPU itself, (with an Athlon64 system) happen to have two 64-bit memory controllers rather than one. If you don't have matched pairs of SDRAM sticks, it simply uses one of them; otherwise, it can use one controller for each even half of the RAM. It may be that AMD's is more strict, given that the whole integrated RAM controller is a tighter design, but I haven't noticed much of a difference here.

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Yeah, its usually less than 10% difference in benchmarks. Even less in real-world use, but hey, every little bit helps, right? :)

maury73

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
With AMD you'll gain up to 30% more speed, depending on applications: A/V editing, publishing, DB and CAD softwares will all benefit a lot from dual channel on AMD CPU. In games or regular office apps you'll see almost no difference since they aren't memory intensive applications.

On Intel side the maximum gain can be 10-15% due to the higher external memory controller latency (the two channels are interleaved on the FSB).

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
Ya know, to keep life simple, I'll probably just get a dual-channel pack. I do 3D rendering and I'm sure it'll help out. Every minute counts when rendering! Thanks!

They dont even need to be identical to run dual channel. You will simply be limited to the timings of the lowest spec stick.

Short answer is thought that a matched pair would probably be the easiest option.

two matching sticks will work, and sometimes similar pairs will work too (eg 2xdouble sided sticks, diffrent brands), no guarentee there tho

companies like to charge a premium for that "guarentee"