Fungalberry

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
So...I cannot get DSL in my area, and I need an alternative. I also want to get a that allows me to recieve calls while on the internet, and simply put the internet connection on hold while on the phone. I looked on Newegg and found some modems that are similar, but they are listed as Fax Modems. I need help. Any ideas that fit my needs? (I also don't have call waiting).

Dafaad

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
When I was using a modem on a regular POTS line, a caller would get a busy signal while I was on the Internet. Just like when you have a conversation. If you try to call out while on the Internet, you will disconnect the modem/Internet. It works exactly as if two people wanted to talk at the same time on the phone, you just can't do it. At least that was, and I imagine still is. Your best solution is to get another POTS line. One for the modem, one for voice.

As far as Fax/Modem, it works just the same way, just don't add the fax portion if you don't intend to use it. I think this is more for marketing then anything. It sounds like you get more for your money by saying Fax/modem over just modem. You might get more money for it too.

So don't be afraid if it says Fax/modem... I would prefer making sure it was full duplex.

Good luck!

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
There are devices that allows you to receive calls when on the internet. For them to work you will need call waiting. Fry's Electronics carry these units. Don't remember what they are called. Had one neighbor used them till he moved off.