What the heck is up with Memory prices these days!

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
I've recently been looking to purchase some more memory for my Rigs, but i've been put off by the extortionate prices all retailers are charging! Around a year ago i purchased 1GB of PC5300 Corsair Value RAM for £65, now the exact same product is £85....go figure.

Can anyone shed any light on what's happening in the world of RAM?

Mondoman

Splendid
Supply and demand, baby! These fluctuations happen; with a major new advance in CPUs just released (C2D), a lot of people need to buy new RAM as they upgrade from DDR to DDR2. Vista, coming soon, will finally be able to use more than the 2-3GB limit of XP, so people are buying more RAM with new systems they are buying for Vista, and so forth.

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Supply and demand, baby! These fluctuations happen; with a major new advance in CPUs just released (C2D), a lot of people need to buy new RAM as they upgrade from DDR to DDR2. Vista, coming soon, will finally be able to use more than the 2-3GB limit of XP, so people are buying more RAM with new systems they are buying for Vista, and so forth.

One thing that i learnt in A level Economics is that as the price increases, the supply increases. So eventually we will have saturated supply so the prices must fall at one point. Or is that just my hopeful thinking?

TRENDING THREADS