Any reasons why I shouldn't buy a Dell Axim X50v ?

February 21, 2005 8:45:17 PM

Hi All,
I was thinking of getting one of these next week, but I've just read a round
up of VGA devises here...
http://www.mobile-review.com/pda/review/vga-comparing-e...

and they seem to be saying that the battery life is rubbish ? I was
planning to get the extra high power batt anyway...

Anyone using one give me some feed back ???

I need BT,wifi, sd and cf slots as I'm going to running a gps module

I'm in the UK, but I'll be getting a US modal as Dell seem to be take the
Michael with the price over here compared with the US !!

Steve
February 21, 2005 8:45:18 PM

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 17:45:17 -0000, "Steve" <zen9643@zen.co.uk> wrote:

>Anyone using one give me some feed back ???

You may want to consider the iPAQ 4700. It's has the same processor
and VGA screen. I down one and don't find battery live all that bad.

Clearly not as good as the 6315 or 4100, but on apar with the 55xx
series (I've owned all at one time or another). It also has the
distinction of being the most stable iPAQ I've ever owned, as well as
the fastest.

A_C
February 21, 2005 8:45:18 PM

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 17:45:17 -0000, "Steve" <zen9643@zen.co.uk> wrote:

You may want to consider the iPAQ 4700. It's has the same processor
and VGA screen. I own one and don't find the battery life all that
bad.

Clearly not as good as the 6315 or 4100, but on apar with the 55xx
series (I've owned all at one time or another). It also has the
distinction of being the most stable iPAQ I've ever owned, as well as
the fastest.

A_C
February 21, 2005 9:37:22 PM

Go to www.aximsite.com, they have several forums and reviews there
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 9:54:11 PM

Hi Steve,

For what it is worth I've just bought a UK Dell Axim x50v and find it
superb. Fast and reliable, the integrated Bluetooth and Wi-Fi make it really
useful. I bought mine directly from Dell UK with the bundled GPS kit but
found the provided car-holder fairly useless and the installed NavTeq GPS
software poor. I've installed TomTom Navigator 3 on the unit to work with
the Bluetooth GPS unit Dell provided and am very pleased with the final
results though.

However you are quite right with regards to Battery life on the Axim. I've
watched the battery on my unit go from 100% to 95% within 10 minutes use
with Wi-Fi turned on. You will need to get into the habit of turning off
Wi-Fi/Bluetooth when it isn't in use... But even with this caveat, a
definite thumbs up!

Regards,

Richard Tubb.
www.netlinktrading.co.uk

"Steve" <zen9643@zen.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi All,
> I was thinking of getting one of these next week, but I've just read a
> round
> up of VGA devises here...
> http://www.mobile-review.com/pda/review/vga-comparing-e...
>
> and they seem to be saying that the battery life is rubbish ? I was
> planning to get the extra high power batt anyway...
>
> Anyone using one give me some feed back ???
>
> I need BT,wifi, sd and cf slots as I'm going to running a gps module
>
> I'm in the UK, but I'll be getting a US modal as Dell seem to be take the
> Michael with the price over here compared with the US !!
>
> Steve

Anonymous
February 21, 2005 10:10:18 PM

How much will you use the Axim in situations where power is not available?

I use mine either in the car, where power is available, in my home, same,
and in my office, again where power is available. I just brought it and the
GPS system with me on a 3 day trip to visit my son. I never ran out of
battery power: charged it in the car and charged it in the hotel room
whenever I had the chance.

Then again, I'm not a constant user of the device. For me it's used mainly
for keeping my personal and business life organized between home and office-
much of which is done by my two desktop PCs- the Axim just being an adjunct
to them and a way to keep the two of them synced.

I would be curious as to what different uses people put their Axims to which
require long battery life away from a power source? I'm sure there are a
few. Those people better have an extar battery, or at least the extra sized
(2200maH?) one.

"Steve" <zen9643@zen.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi All,
> I was thinking of getting one of these next week, but I've just read a
> round
> up of VGA devises here...
> http://www.mobile-review.com/pda/review/vga-comparing-e...
>
> and they seem to be saying that the battery life is rubbish ? I was
> planning to get the extra high power batt anyway...
>
> Anyone using one give me some feed back ???
>
> I need BT,wifi, sd and cf slots as I'm going to running a gps module
>
> I'm in the UK, but I'll be getting a US modal as Dell seem to be take the
> Michael with the price over here compared with the US !!
>
> Steve

Anonymous
February 21, 2005 10:56:20 PM

Agent_C wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 17:45:17 -0000, "Steve" <zen9643@zen.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Anyone using one give me some feed back ???
>
> You may want to consider the iPAQ 4700. It's has the same processor
> and VGA screen. I down one and don't find battery live all that bad.
>
> Clearly not as good as the 6315 or 4100, but on apar with the 55xx
> series (I've owned all at one time or another). It also has the
> distinction of being the most stable iPAQ I've ever owned, as well as
> the fastest.
>
> A_C

While I agree the 4700 would be the choice if money was no object for most
thats not the case ;)  Is it worth nearly $300 more is the real question
here.

Mitch
--
Remove "nospam." to reply.
SuSE 9.2 Pro KDE 3.3.2a

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 19:56:20 GMT, Mitch_A <naman@pacbell.nospam.net>
wrote:

> Is it worth nearly $300 more is the real question here.

I didn't know it was that much more. It can commonly be had for about
$580.00

A_C
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 11:16:23 PM

Agent_C wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 19:56:20 GMT, Mitch_A <naman@pacbell.nospam.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Is it worth nearly $300 more is the real question here.
>
> I didn't know it was that much more. It can commonly be had for about
> $580.00
>
> A_C

I just happened to see one locally for $699 and I LOVED the look and feel
but I still have a hard time justifying even $100-$200 more. I just wish I
could hold the Dell alongside the HP before I made my choice.

Mitch
--
Remove "nospam." to reply.
SuSE 9.2 Pro KDE 3.3.2a

You can. Buy one, bring it to the other to compare, return the one you don't
want. Dell gives you 21 days to return things. They pick up the shipping.

Now, don't get me wrong. I am not encouraging this for the purpose of
"getting over", but, I suppose for your 500 bucks you have a right to
compare.

"Mitch_A" <naman@pacbell.nospam.net> wrote in message
> Agent_C wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 19:56:20 GMT, Mitch_A <naman@pacbell.nospam.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Is it worth nearly $300 more is the real question here.
>>
>> I didn't know it was that much more. It can commonly be had for about
>> $580.00
>>
>> A_C
>
> I just happened to see one locally for $699 and I LOVED the look and feel
> but I still have a hard time justifying even $100-$200 more. I just wish
> could hold the Dell alongside the HP before I made my choice.
>
> Mitch
> --
> Remove "nospam." to reply.
> SuSE 9.2 Pro KDE 3.3.2a
February 21, 2005 11:32:32 PM

"Agent_C" <Agent-C-hates-spam@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 17:45:17 -0000, "Steve" <zen9643@zen.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >Anyone using one give me some feed back ???
>
> You may want to consider the iPAQ 4700. It's has the same processor
> and VGA screen. I down one and don't find battery live all that bad.

I was looking at the 4700 on the net at the weekend. There seems to be a
major disagreement over the cursor pad !! seems like you either love it or
loath it...

Steve
February 21, 2005 11:32:33 PM

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 20:32:32 -0000, "Steve" <zen9643@zen.co.uk> wrote:

>I was looking at the 4700 on the net at the weekend. There seems to be a
>major disagreement over the cursor pad !! seems like you either love it or
>loath it...

I haven't been able to make good use of it yet. If it could facilitate
one-hand operation, I'd be delighted with it. As yet however, every
time I've tried it out, I've given up in frustration a few minutes
later.

A_C
February 21, 2005 11:38:09 PM

"Richard Tubb" <richard@netlinktrading.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi Steve,
>
> For what it is worth I've just bought a UK Dell Axim x50v and find it
> superb. Fast and reliable, the integrated Bluetooth and Wi-Fi make it
really
> useful. I bought mine directly from Dell UK with the bundled GPS kit but
> found the provided car-holder fairly useless and the installed NavTeq GPS
> software poor. I've installed TomTom Navigator 3 on the unit to work with
> the Bluetooth GPS unit Dell provided and am very pleased with the final
> results though.

Hi Richard
Thanks for that. I'm going to using one of the BT CF card unit (to turn it
into a one box unit), and I wasn't plnning on using the WiFi much. Just
when I'm away for email as most of the hotels have hot spot.

> However you are quite right with regards to Battery life on the Axim. I've
> watched the battery on my unit go from 100% to 95% within 10 minutes use
> with Wi-Fi turned on. You will need to get into the habit of turning off
> Wi-Fi/Bluetooth when it isn't in use... But even with this caveat, a
> definite thumbs up!

Looks like I'll go with that (and maybe TWO high power batts).

Any recomendations for must have applications ?
I'm upgrading from palm... Anything really great for time management /
appontments etc.. ?

Steve
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 2:55:37 AM

Steve,

I can't think of a reason not to buy an X50v. I got mine just before
Christmas and, like you, was torn between the Dell and the HP. I could not
justify the extra $300(US) for the HP unit.

The Dell has been a real workhorse ever since I got it. It gets used every
day. I have the desk/USB stands at home and the office to keep the battery
"topped" up. I do have the "fat" battery, but don't use it much as the
unit will not fit into the Sena case I bought when the larger battery is
installed. If you plan to use Bluetooth and/or WiFi much, the extra
capacity battery is a definite purchase.

The display is awesome!!! I have PDAMill's Flux Challenge racing game and
it is great. In case no one has figured it out yet, a VGA PDA and a set of
earphones is a great way to "bootleg" games at work!!

Enjoy it. . .

Turner
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 6:05:32 AM

Carl Rothman wrote:

> You can. Buy one, bring it to the other to compare, return the one you
> don't want. Dell gives you 21 days to return things. They pick up the
> shipping.
>
> Now, don't get me wrong. I am not encouraging this for the purpose of
> "getting over", but, I suppose for your 500 bucks you have a right to
> compare.

Thats not a bad return policy so I may do just as you said.

Mitch
--
Remove "nospam." to reply.
SuSE 9.2 Pro KDE 3.3.2a

The screen is superb, WiFi sensitivity seems good, and running Terminal
Services Client really let's the screen resolution shine.

Whack on a gig or so of movie files into a compact flash card and watch some
vids. Just watched a hot lap of Isle of Man ...on a R1200GS!!

No dropped frames.

A good package...

"Steve" <zen9643@zen.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi All,
> I was thinking of getting one of these next week, but I've just read a
> round
> up of VGA devises here...
> http://www.mobile-review.com/pda/review/vga-comparing-e...
>
> and they seem to be saying that the battery life is rubbish ? I was
> planning to get the extra high power batt anyway...
>
> Anyone using one give me some feed back ???
>
> I need BT,wifi, sd and cf slots as I'm going to running a gps module
>
> I'm in the UK, but I'll be getting a US modal as Dell seem to be take the
> Michael with the price over here compared with the US !!
>
> Steve

Anonymous
February 22, 2005 1:46:49 PM

>I would be curious as to what different uses people put their Axims to which
>require long battery life away from a power source? I'm sure there are a
>few. Those people better have an extar battery, or at least the extra sized
>(2200maH?) one.

I did a couple of flights to the US from the UK and back. Thats about
8-10 hour air travel time, plus coach transfers (about 3h). I took my
standard 950mAh battery and the 1800mAh fat battery I got free when I
ordered an Axim X3i. The batteries were about 3 months old (the fat
battery had never really been used).

In total I got through 1.5hour video and about 6 hours of music during
travel on the way out, also reading a few ebooks and so on. The
batteries weren't empty though I forget the actual charge level.

On the return trip, I watched the video again (next time I'll take a
1GB card with 2 or 3 movies on !), listened to about 8 hours of music
and took & reviewed about 20 photos and 3 minutes of AVI video of the
Rockies, with the Veo SD camera - nice to have a window seat ;-)

At that point (on the return coach from the airport) I had about 10%
capacity in the standard battery, and about 12-15% in the 1800mAh
battery. In both trips, I had the screen brightness at 2 notches out
of 5, and volume at high (on the airplanes).

So probably taking the big fat one for movies and video, and the
standard for audio is going to get you about 10 hours or so before
you're seriously needing to charge them.

I guess I could have surreptitiously plugged in at the airport cafe
for 2 hours while I changed flights, that would have taken the
standard battery back to near 100%.

Cheers - Neil
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 1:46:50 PM

Now THAT's using your PDA! I, for one, am not that avid a user, don't think
I can read a book or watch a movie on a computer and am fortunate enough to
have an iPod Mini for my music. :-)

Where can you find outlets to recharge during stopovers (ie. what do you
mean by an "airport cafe")?

I have gotten the idea that some planes have the facility for recharging
PDAs. Is that true? I haven't come across that yet in my travels.

"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message

>>I would be curious as to what different uses people put their Axims to
>>which
>>require long battery life away from a power source? I'm sure there are a
>>few. Those people better have an extar battery, or at least the extra
>>sized
>>(2200maH?) one.
>
> I did a couple of flights to the US from the UK and back. Thats about
> 8-10 hour air travel time, plus coach transfers (about 3h). I took my
> standard 950mAh battery and the 1800mAh fat battery I got free when I
> ordered an Axim X3i. The batteries were about 3 months old (the fat
> battery had never really been used).
>
> In total I got through 1.5hour video and about 6 hours of music during
> travel on the way out, also reading a few ebooks and so on. The
> batteries weren't empty though I forget the actual charge level.
>
> On the return trip, I watched the video again (next time I'll take a
> 1GB card with 2 or 3 movies on !), listened to about 8 hours of music
> and took & reviewed about 20 photos and 3 minutes of AVI video of the
> Rockies, with the Veo SD camera - nice to have a window seat ;-)
>
> At that point (on the return coach from the airport) I had about 10%
> capacity in the standard battery, and about 12-15% in the 1800mAh
> battery. In both trips, I had the screen brightness at 2 notches out
> of 5, and volume at high (on the airplanes).
>
> So probably taking the big fat one for movies and video, and the
> standard for audio is going to get you about 10 hours or so before
> you're seriously needing to charge them.
>
> I guess I could have surreptitiously plugged in at the airport cafe
> for 2 hours while I changed flights, that would have taken the
> standard battery back to near 100%.
>
> Cheers - Neil
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 4:39:28 PM

Well I don't know about planes, though I've heard that too. I meant on
a stopover in the terminal building, to sidle up to a shelf with your
coffee, and just kind-of-accidentally insert the charge cable into a
wall socket to get some juice. Can't see it doing any harm (unless it
was a 3 phase socket for industrial cleaning equipment !)

Cheers - Neil

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 08:25:03 -0500, "Carl Rothman"
<crothman@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote:

>Now THAT's using your PDA! I, for one, am not that avid a user, don't think
>I can read a book or watch a movie on a computer and am fortunate enough to
>have an iPod Mini for my music. :-)
>
>Where can you find outlets to recharge during stopovers (ie. what do you
>mean by an "airport cafe")?
>
>I have gotten the idea that some planes have the facility for recharging
>PDAs. Is that true? I haven't come across that yet in my travels.
>
>"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I would be curious as to what different uses people put their Axims to
>>>which
>>>require long battery life away from a power source? I'm sure there are a
>>>few. Those people better have an extar battery, or at least the extra
>>>sized
>>>(2200maH?) one.
>>
>> I did a couple of flights to the US from the UK and back. Thats about
>> 8-10 hour air travel time, plus coach transfers (about 3h). I took my
>> standard 950mAh battery and the 1800mAh fat battery I got free when I
>> ordered an Axim X3i. The batteries were about 3 months old (the fat
>> battery had never really been used).
>>
>> In total I got through 1.5hour video and about 6 hours of music during
>> travel on the way out, also reading a few ebooks and so on. The
>> batteries weren't empty though I forget the actual charge level.
>>
>> On the return trip, I watched the video again (next time I'll take a
>> 1GB card with 2 or 3 movies on !), listened to about 8 hours of music
>> and took & reviewed about 20 photos and 3 minutes of AVI video of the
>> Rockies, with the Veo SD camera - nice to have a window seat ;-)
>>
>> At that point (on the return coach from the airport) I had about 10%
>> capacity in the standard battery, and about 12-15% in the 1800mAh
>> battery. In both trips, I had the screen brightness at 2 notches out
>> of 5, and volume at high (on the airplanes).
>>
>> So probably taking the big fat one for movies and video, and the
>> standard for audio is going to get you about 10 hours or so before
>> you're seriously needing to charge them.
>>
>> I guess I could have surreptitiously plugged in at the airport cafe
>> for 2 hours while I changed flights, that would have taken the
>> standard battery back to near 100%.
>>
>> Cheers - Neil

Anonymous
February 22, 2005 11:09:36 PM

I made small device about half year ago.
Using any direct current from 9V to 27V i can charge my PDA.
8 good enough alkaline AA batteries=9V it's enough at least to recharge
fully my 1500mA battery one time working during all 2hours of charging.
Though backlight mustbe on min and without BT or WiFi, battaries have too
small power output.
Car = 12V
Using any 2A power supply on that voltage range and you get other power
supply.

It cost me about 10USD. It's small Switch-Mode Power Supply.

> Well I don't know about planes, though I've heard that too. I meant on
> a stopover in the terminal building, to sidle up to a shelf with your
> coffee, and just kind-of-accidentally insert the charge cable into a
> wall socket to get some juice. Can't see it doing any harm (unless it
> was a 3 phase socket for industrial cleaning equipment !)
>
> Cheers - Neil
>
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 08:25:03 -0500, "Carl Rothman"
> <crothman@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote:
>
> >Now THAT's using your PDA! I, for one, am not that avid a user, don't
think
> >I can read a book or watch a movie on a computer and am fortunate enough
> >have an iPod Mini for my music. :-)
> >
> >Where can you find outlets to recharge during stopovers (ie. what do you
> >mean by an "airport cafe")?
> >
> >I have gotten the idea that some planes have the facility for recharging
> >PDAs. Is that true? I haven't come across that yet in my travels.
> >
> >"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message

> >> I did a couple of flights to the US from the UK and back. Thats about
> >> 8-10 hour air travel time, plus coach transfers (about 3h). I took my
> >> standard 950mAh battery and the 1800mAh fat battery I got free when I
> >> ordered an Axim X3i. The batteries were about 3 months old (the fat
> >> battery had never really been used).
> >>
> >> In total I got through 1.5hour video and about 6 hours of music during
> >> travel on the way out, also reading a few ebooks and so on. The
> >> batteries weren't empty though I forget the actual charge level.
> >>
> >> On the return trip, I watched the video again (next time I'll take a
> >> 1GB card with 2 or 3 movies on !), listened to about 8 hours of music
> >> and took & reviewed about 20 photos and 3 minutes of AVI video of the
> >> Rockies, with the Veo SD camera - nice to have a window seat ;-)
> >>
> >> At that point (on the return coach from the airport) I had about 10%
> >> capacity in the standard battery, and about 12-15% in the 1800mAh
> >> battery. In both trips, I had the screen brightness at 2 notches out
> >> of 5, and volume at high (on the airplanes).
> >>
> >> So probably taking the big fat one for movies and video, and the
> >> standard for audio is going to get you about 10 hours or so before
> >> you're seriously needing to charge them.
> >>
> >> I guess I could have surreptitiously plugged in at the airport cafe
> >> for 2 hours while I changed flights, that would have taken the
> >> standard battery back to near 100%.
> >>
> >> Cheers - Neil

Anonymous
February 22, 2005 11:09:37 PM

Actually, I'm looking for something very similar to plug a car-lighter
plug into. It's to power my GPC (which can't run off the PDA power)
and since it's a Y-Cable it would keep the PDA charged too.

Do you have any schematics or assembly instructions, bearing in mind
I'm not an electronics bod though I could maybe solder a couple of
wires ?

Cheers - Neil

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 20:09:36 +0600, "Amirov Zakhar" <amirov@tric.ru>
wrote:

>I made small device about half year ago.
>Using any direct current from 9V to 27V i can charge my PDA.
>8 good enough alkaline AA batteries=9V it's enough at least to recharge
>fully my 1500mA battery one time working during all 2hours of charging.
>Though backlight mustbe on min and without BT or WiFi, battaries have too
>small power output.
>Car = 12V
>Using any 2A power supply on that voltage range and you get other power
>supply.
>
>It cost me about 10USD. It's small Switch-Mode Power Supply.
>

>"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Well I don't know about planes, though I've heard that too. I meant on
>> a stopover in the terminal building, to sidle up to a shelf with your
>> coffee, and just kind-of-accidentally insert the charge cable into a
>> wall socket to get some juice. Can't see it doing any harm (unless it
>> was a 3 phase socket for industrial cleaning equipment !)
>>
>> Cheers - Neil
>>
>> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 08:25:03 -0500, "Carl Rothman"
>> <crothman@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote:
>>
>> >Now THAT's using your PDA! I, for one, am not that avid a user, don't
>think
>> >I can read a book or watch a movie on a computer and am fortunate enough
>> >have an iPod Mini for my music. :-)
>> >
>> >Where can you find outlets to recharge during stopovers (ie. what do you
>> >mean by an "airport cafe")?
>> >
>> >I have gotten the idea that some planes have the facility for recharging
>> >PDAs. Is that true? I haven't come across that yet in my travels.
>> >
>> >"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message

February 23, 2005 3:19:05 AM

I got a HP4700 for the same price as a axim 50v. Just shop around the deals
are there.
February 23, 2005 3:57:01 AM

as far as I've heard, Axims are number one rated all around.
also, instead of figuring out how to charge and building
rigged chargers, uhhh... why not buy 2 2200 batteries or
as many of the big ones you need. you're making somewhat of an
investment in it anyway.

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 00:19:05 GMT, del@here.com wrote:

>I got a HP4700 for the same price as a axim 50v. Just shop around the deals
>are there.
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 3:06:36 PM

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 00:57:01 GMT, Johnny <jfergus1@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> as far as I've heard, Axims are number one rated all around.

bang for the buck, totally. i got an x3i (way back when the world was
younger place, in 2004) and nothing came close.

then i called dell tech support. and so began the misery. i highly doubt
i will ever buy another axim - tech support seems to have no idea what
they are.

--
Headed for the second star to the right and straight on 'til morning...

Eric Schultz
(aka Storkman)

Photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/storky1
Homepage: http://www.cameron-schultz.ca

February 26, 2005 1:17:11 PM

<del@here.com> wrote in message
> I got a HP4700 for the same price as a axim 50v. Just shop around the
deals
> are there.

How are you finding the touch pad ? I've seen reviewers that love it and
some that really loathe it ?
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 2:12:06 AM

> Any recomendations for must have applications ?
> I'm upgrading from palm... Anything really great for time management
> / appontments etc.. ?
>
> Steve

Steve,

For the money, the x50v is about as good as it gets. For PIM functions,
I've found Pocket Informant to most exelent. ListPro has a zillion uses,
and for document portability I recommend Repligo. Oh, one more must
have: Resco Explorer.

Enjoy.

Disclaimer: I don't own stock in/work for any of the companies that
develop, manufacture and market the software titles listed above.
Seriously.
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 11:50:19 AM

rd2pla wrote:
>>Any recomendations for must have applications ?
>>I'm upgrading from palm... Anything really great for time management
>>/ appontments etc.. ?
>>
>>Steve
>>

> Steve,
>
> For the money, the x50v is about as good as it gets. For PIM functions,
> I've found Pocket Informant to most exelent. ListPro has a zillion uses,
> and for document portability I recommend Repligo. Oh, one more must
> have: Resco Explorer.

I looked at an x50v but Dell don't seem to sell them in the UK. Not that
I can find anyway.

Went for a 4700 instead.

Andy
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 5:22:04 PM

On Friday, Andy Mulhearn wrote:

> I looked at an x50v but Dell don't seem to sell them in
> the UK. Not that I can find anyway.

Dell do sell them in the UK but they have removed them from
their web page (and in most of Europe) as demand has far, far
exceeded supply and they are (a) trying to cler the backlog,
and (b) suppling the US first it seems :-(

You can get them from Expansys though....

--
Bryan Anderson <usenet@bryananderson.co.uk>
Anonymous

Bryan Anderson wrote:
> On Friday, Andy Mulhearn wrote:
>

>>I looked at an x50v but Dell don't seem to sell them in
>>the UK. Not that I can find anyway.
>

> Dell do sell them in the UK but they have removed them from
> their web page (and in most of Europe) as demand has far, far
> exceeded supply and they are (a) trying to cler the backlog,
> and (b) suppling the US first it seems :-(

That's a shame, for both reasons. But on the other hand I prefer the
style of the 4700 over the look of the x50v so I'm happy.

> You can get them from Expansys though....

Didn't think of that - Expansys used to be very cheap by comparison with
some sites but now they don't seem as competitive..

Andy
!