Sign in with
Your question

Warning: Avoid Leadtek. They dont honor warranty

Last response: in Overclocking
November 14, 2006 4:47:11 PM

Hey everyone,
I just want to give everyone a headsup to avoid Leadtek. I thought they were premium video card maker until I tried to deal with their warranty. I had to go thru a real long experience to get an RMA number and mail my card to them at cost. It took about 2 months to get it back and I got a broken card back in a plain box with no explanation. I've tried to get a refund or deal with their tech support but they don't reply to me.

So, they make a big deal about their 2 year warranty but truth is from my experience there is no warranty. Ill let you know if they do anything about it but I dont expect anything. Its a lot worse when a company makes a big deal about having a good warranty and makes us waste our time on addition to losing money. I had heard others complain but I thuoght maybe they had fixed their problems. Sentiment: AVOID leadtek.
Thanks,
Danny White
November 14, 2006 9:10:42 PM

Hey this is just an update. I received some information that Leadtek USA support will close down. Leadtek admited they sent me a broken card but promised to send me a non broken one if I'd mail them a card and it got there before they closed down. But, they've repeatedly refused to refund any of my purchase price or to send me a card out without sending them back the card again. The way I gather it is that the executives there don't care about the USA market.

Anyway, so yeah AVOID leadtek at all cost unless you want to fly to Taiwan for support.

I've also found that some of their emails have quit working. So, I hope this helps someone from losing money. I'd stay away from any leadtek product at this point. BTW I ask him, what about the negative publicity? He said, "Nobody here cares. We wont be here in 2 weeks."

This sounds like a GOOD report for TOMSHARDWARE to do about LEADTEK CLOSING DOWN
November 17, 2006 10:13:45 PM

This is ironic considering THG just recommended a Leadtek card two days after your post.

BTW, you probably should have posted this in Graphic and Displays -> Graphics Cards instead of Overclocking -> 3D Chips if you really wanted people to know.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 17, 2006 11:33:18 PM

Quote:
Hey everyone,
I just want to give everyone a headsup to avoid Leadtek. I thought they were premium video card maker until I tried to deal with their warranty. I had to go thru a real long experience to get an RMA number and mail my card to them at cost. It took about 2 months to get it back and I got a broken card back in a plain box with no explanation. I've tried to get a refund or deal with their tech support but they don't reply to me.

So, they make a big deal about their 2 year warranty but truth is from my experience there is no warranty. Ill let you know if they do anything about it but I dont expect anything. Its a lot worse when a company makes a big deal about having a good warranty and makes us waste our time on addition to losing money. I had heard others complain but I thuoght maybe they had fixed their problems. Sentiment: AVOID leadtek.
Thanks,
Danny White

heh leadtek (foxconn's video card company) isnt as bad as other companies ;)  and as for card quality - they always put better coolers on there cards for one.
November 29, 2006 2:39:15 PM

Leadtek/Foxconn is miserable when it comes to support for their motherboard BIOS revisions, too. :evil: 

I bought a 6150K8MD-8EKRSH (socket 939, 6150/430) mobo mainly on the strength of a review that used a "newer" BIOS that enabled some functions missing from the shipped BIOS. After receiving the mobo (with the original 01/23/2006 BIOS), I queried Foxconn's USA tech support as to why the updated BIOS file they had on their website had the same ID string as the original. After playing email tag for several iterations, they discovered they had a bad date on the download page and no newer BIOS. The one the reviewer used in the June, 2006 review (Tweaktown) has still never been released. So, since Foxconn seems to have little interest in supporting what they sell, I'm upgrading to a DFI Lanparty SLI-DR Expert. The Foxconn board will be relegated to a future SFF system for my wife. :roll:
December 3, 2006 6:37:50 AM

The first time I ever bought a video card was my EVGA 7600GT CO. Honestly when I called them over the phone, they were very polite and seemed very knowledgable about how to help me. I honestly will choose them again if I every buy another video card. Not only that they will RMA without any questions asked and have an excellent warranty. What I like about the warranty is that you can underclock and overclock without voiding the warranty. The way to void it would having any apparent physical damage to the card done. But other than that, you cant go wrong. :) 
December 3, 2006 5:41:25 PM

i love EVGA they make good cards their Tech support is wonderfull they are extremely helpfull and will give you all the advice they can if nothing else works just go onto their website request an RMA you get your number ship it out an a week to 2 later you have a card in PERFECT working condition plus you can OC with no worrys on the warranty plus the step up program makes them THE WINNER in Video cards
December 3, 2006 6:03:26 PM

it's really sad, that people always thinking black/white,
it's not because you had a bad experience with a leadteck, that they are all bad?
i myself owned a GFX card from leadteck, ik was great, i've had a TV-tuner card from leadtek, it wasn't that good,
but they make like every company some good and bad stuff,
so, i would ask everybody to post there good experience with leadtek on this thread, to level this out,
it's really sad that people only make a statement when it's bad :cry: 
December 3, 2006 6:53:37 PM

Damn...that's not good news. I just picked up the Leadtek 7900 GS they were recommending (btw, it's a great card!)...guess I won't be fooling around OCing it. It has to last until I pick up a DX10 card next year.
December 3, 2006 9:47:03 PM

Not to be a bother, but I'd rather go with a reputable company like EVGA or XFX versus the guys at Foxconn or Leadtek. I'm not saying their, bad I just have heard that a lot of their cards and boards are a hit or miss senario.
December 18, 2006 9:45:52 PM

My current situation with Leadtek

I am trying to RMA a 6800GT for the 8th consecutive time with Leadtek.
the first 3 times were 100% successful - but they were through the supplier, not leadtek

rma#4 - filled out 3 rma forms and called them 4 times before receiving an rma number 3 weeks after starting rma#4. 1 month later, received replacement card - dead in 2 days

rma#5 - filled out 2 rma forms, and made 10+ phone calls, finally received an rma number. 6 weeks later received an obviously used card (very dusty, scratches on it) card was DOA

rma#6 - didn't fil out a form, called leadtek 20+ times, received rma number. 6 weeks later, still no card. called leadtek back several times, talked to multiple people. I was informed the card was sent to me via "standard mail" 8O Who sends computer equipment via standard mail? there is no way to track standard mail. I asked why they didn't use Fed-ex, UPS, Purolator, etc.... the reply "we only use UPS within the USA, not to Canada". strange though that the first 2 times i received it via UPS. 5 more phone calls, finally convinced them to send another card via UPS. received card 6 weeks later. 1 month later, card is dead

I have discovered the cause of this card failing repeatedly. The card is very poorly engineered, and a design flaw is what is killing the card. First, the heat sink on this card is about 2 pounds of copper, alot of weight for the agp port. Second, after only 10-15 minutes of use, the card becomes extremely hot, and the circuit board, under this heat, becomes extremely soft. when the card becomes soft, the 2 pounds of copper pulld down on the card, stressing the agp port, card dies.

rma#8 - current situation. Explained the above design flaw to leadtek support, he replied "we are aware of the situation, and now have a replacement model available with a lighter and smaller heat sink" he then informed me that leadtek USA is closing, and he would try to have this rma completed before they close. I was instructed to fill out the form, attach his name, and wait for my rma number. I have to date, not received my rma number, and in the 10+ times i have tried to call leadtek, i get no answer, just stuck in the "phone loop"

To anyone else trying to RMA a leadtek product . . . Good luck to you, for I have given up trying.
January 11, 2007 10:16:52 AM

well i have a leadtek winfast tv2000 xp expert capture card and it has no audio. been writing them about it with no reply. been looking around for any update or fixes on thier driver, none. not even support on how to configure it that works. seems after they've sold it, they're done with it. no support, no advice, no reply, no nothing... what a company!!!
yes they might have good products sometimes, but that is if you are lucky. are you willing to gamble on thier products? i would NOT anymore...
seems like a good advise to shy away from thier products.
January 11, 2007 11:32:39 AM

Quote:
it's really sad, that people always thinking black/white,
it's not because you had a bad experience with a leadteck, that they are all bad?
i myself owned a GFX card from leadteck, ik was great, i've had a TV-tuner card from leadtek, it wasn't that good,
but they make like every company some good and bad stuff,
so, i would ask everybody to post there good experience with leadtek on this thread, to level this out,
it's really sad that people only make a statement when it's bad :cry: 

It's like this, I used to be a truck driver in my teens with my uncles & they had taught me that no one sees the "BIG TRUCK" swerve & avoid hitting the drunken old lady driving the school bus full-o-kids that just jumped out in front of the truck, but everyone sees when the truck has jack knifed & slams into the abandoned roadside latrine & kills an armadillo in the process.
January 11, 2007 12:14:41 PM

http://www.leadtek.com.tw/eng/tv_tuner/faq.asp?faqlinei...

Did you try hooking up the audio cable as indicated in the manual? Set the config correct in the settings panel???

I've never had a problem with my Leadtek products (6800GS, PVR2000), so I can't comment on their customer support. Note, they are shutting down the US branch, so don't expect anything in the future either.
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 11, 2007 12:37:15 PM

FYI- I had a Leadtek card some years back, don't remember exactly what it was, only that it was the one of the biggest pieces of **** I ever bought for my PC. Used for about a month and tossed in the garbage.
If I ever see ANYTHING with "Leadtek" on it, I wouldn't piss on it if it was on fire.

What I can't understand is why people fuss so much and go through so much agony for couple hundred bucks. I'd throw the thing in the trash, tell everyone I knew they were junk, and buy something different.

Man, an decent night out to dinner with the family and tank of gas costs more than most any single piece of PC hardware.

A lot of people won't agree with that, but these instances are in the very, very, very minority when you have horror stories like this. Companies DO NOT CARE about a few pissed off people. The best thing you can do is exactly what you did, post here and let people know that thing is junk, but to spend all that time RMAing, waiting, calling, waiting. It is not worth my time or effort. I take it as lesson learned, will never, ever spend another dime with that company, and I will tell everyone I know, even if it is the guy at Fry's just browsing the video cards, that they are not dependable cards.

Screw me once, your bad. Screw me twice, my bad.
January 11, 2007 1:31:59 PM

Quote:
Did you try hooking up the audio cable as indicated in the manual? Set the config correct in the settings panel???

would you put a cooler fan without plugging the power in?
January 11, 2007 4:03:40 PM

I wouldn't forget such a thing. :roll:

Seeing as how you never got the sound to work, I am not sure why you didn't immediately send it back to the retailer for an exchange or refund. If such is the case, then your experience level could be less than most here, warranting my response, just in case you are a noob. If this is not the case, then good luck to you in solving your tuner worries, as you will most likely not need help.
January 11, 2007 4:30:41 PM

sorry beastybean, didn't mean to bark. and yes it did work before i replaced my leadtek px6600td video card. somehow i felt that it had something to do with compatibility.
i just cant understand why it shouldnt work without the other leadtek product. its so frustrating...
thank you though for the replies. i do appreciate them...
Cheers
January 11, 2007 4:50:22 PM

With that description I'd tend to lean towards the problem being with drivers. Did you install the Leadtek software with the video card, or just the regular Nvidia drivers? If you did install the Leadtek software is it completely removed (ie Driver Cleaner for the Nvidia one, and just plain old uninstall for the Leadtek software). Also, just for kicks and giggles what did you replace the 6600 card with?

I once had to reinstall the drivers and applications for my Leadtek tuner. Maybe this will help if you haven't tried yet. Maybe try switching it in a different pci slot...you never know what weird stuff could be going on. Also, are you using integrated sound or a card?

I'll keep looking for an answer while I wait for the UPS guy... :!:

Hmm now that I think about it I may have experience something like your problems, except sound and video wasn't working. I think this is when I installed a new video (from integrated). This is when I had to completely remove all Leadtek tuner software and drivers and do it all over again.
January 11, 2007 4:55:37 PM

I tell you what, you guys in the US get such cheap parts but you pay for them in different ways! In the UK everything (pretty much) you buy comes with a 1 year warranty! 90 Days is a joke!

Oh and btw: ta for the heads up, I will be avoiding Leadtek like the plague from now on, I feel for ya man.
January 11, 2007 5:05:33 PM

Haha, that is kind of true. We can pick up tv tuner cards in the 20-30 US dollar range, so if they break it is probably easier and less expensive (time spent trying to get replaced by warranty) to just buy a new one!
January 11, 2007 5:22:10 PM

i have to say, thanks for the heads up, i was just about a leadtek graphics card and now i will avoid it like the plague :lol: 
January 11, 2007 5:35:25 PM

A personal representative for LeadTek send me this email:

"Screw you guys, we're going home"
January 11, 2007 6:15:05 PM

I had A leadTek 6800gt and the piece of crap pooched on me withing 3 months of having it, got a new one and it didn't even last a month lol. I will never again buy a leadtek product.
January 11, 2007 7:04:58 PM

Quote:

What I can't understand is why people fuss so much and go through so much agony for couple hundred bucks. I'd throw the thing in the trash, tell everyone I knew they were junk, and buy something different.

Two reasons: 1) its the principle of the matter and 2) it was the last couple hundred bucks.

I personally wont spend over $100 on a graphics card. I broke that rule with my $130 PNY 7900GS, but it is the first time I have ever done so. The same goes for a motherboard.

I have never successfully RMA'd a motherboard or a graphics card. Diamond Multimedia, Powercolor, MSI, Soyo, and a few others are all on my s*** list, the most recent being Powercolor. Aside from drive manufacturers, the "parts" community is ready to dump you in a heartbeat. Now, not all of these manufacturers make crap, as is suggested of Leadtek. But just try getting an RMA from them a year into a two or three year warranty. They want to dump you like yesterday's bran.
January 11, 2007 7:19:01 PM

Quote:

Two reasons: 1) its the principle of the matter and 2) it was the last couple hundred bucks.

I personally wont spend over $100 on a graphics card. I broke that rule with my $130 PNY 7900GS, but it is the first time I have ever done so. The same goes for a motherboard.

I have never successfully RMA'd a motherboard or a graphics card. Diamond Multimedia, Powercolor, MSI, Soyo, and a few others are all on my s*** list, the most recent being Powercolor. Aside from drive manufacturers, the "parts" community is ready to dump you in a heartbeat. Now, not all of these manufacturers make crap, as is suggested of Leadtek. But just try getting an RMA from them a year into a two or three year warranty. They want to dump you like yesterday's bran.

JITPublisher: STFU. Money is worth it, and standing up for something is even more so.

rdhood... I have dealt with MSI quite a bit as they were my primary provider of parts for years. I loved them!

Also, had to RMA a PNY video card, and stick of memory... both with no problems.
January 12, 2007 7:25:17 AM

i actually used thier drive cleaner, still to no avail of having the capture card to have audio. though i will try to transfer the slot... thanks
January 15, 2007 3:18:49 AM

Well I guess I got pretty lucky (so far) have had these for about 6 months, the 7600GT and a Leadtek TV2000 XP Expert Tuner card....They work great! TV Tuner is pretty Low quality but for $25 the FM radio is worth the money I spent.I mostly use it for the FM Radio when I'm pokin around the Internet.But after hearin the problems with Leadtek if I do have any problems I will just buy a different brand next time around! Thanks for the Heads up!
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2007 10:54:21 AM

Quote:

JITPublisher: STFU. Money is worth it, and standing up for something is even more so.

rdhood... I have dealt with MSI quite a bit as they were my primary provider of parts for years. I loved them!

Also, had to RMA a PNY video card, and stick of memory... both with no problems.

BAH MSI
January 18, 2007 12:43:54 PM

Say what you want. I havent used them since socket 754...

Best manufacturer has to be PC Chips.... hand down
/no.
a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2007 7:12:45 AM

Quote:

/no.

wow another useless post by Compita_Rep, bravo :trophy:
January 23, 2007 11:46:29 AM

I've seen that also and it sucks. Buy BFG, got my card from someone and it had a problem. I sent it back, and they repaired it, had it back in 5 days. It went bad again after about 8 months, I returned it , and they sent me a new one.
I explained I got it from someone else and thet said it didn't matter, they would honor the warranty fully anyway.
Now that's supporting your product !!!!!!!!!
a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2007 8:08:19 PM

Quote:

/no.

wow another useless post by Compita_Rep, bravo :trophy:

PC Chips?? LOL.
I stick with EVGA just because I have never had a bad one and they honor their rebates.

buy from experience ;) 

motherboards i stick to ASUS/Gigabyte, from experience ill never touch another MSI product.

LOL we used to sell some 754 MSI motherboards, they didnt have onboard SATA but THEY CAME WITH SATA POWER AND DATA CABLES, how stupid can you get :oops:  :lol: 
January 23, 2007 8:11:59 PM

LOL.

The last batch of MSI products I purchased were for Socket A, but I did go though maybe 10 boards of theirs. I now have all gigabyte boards and have had no problems.
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2007 12:15:51 AM

Quote:
LOL.

The last batch of MSI products I purchased were for Socket A, but I did go though maybe 10 boards of theirs. I now have all gigabyte boards and have had no problems.

Wow the first meaningful words of value you have ever spoken, what next, BaronMatrix saying Intel actually is better ATM?

I got 3 gigabyte socket7 boards based on an ALi chipset - they all still work somehow and have never had any issues - gotta agree on gigabyte, altho most companies from time to time have bad batches.

ASUS still scares me a little - iv seen too many of em with PS/2 issues, but when there workin, there roaring.
January 25, 2007 1:32:49 AM

Thats pure opinion. I stand by MSI's products pre 754. I only buy locally so I get whats available. Was not impressed with Asus AV8, but Gigabyte is been just fine.

Feel free to take any amount of meaning from my posts, and I doubt Baron thinks Intel > a money dispensing machine.
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2007 10:05:23 AM

Quote:
Thats pure opinion. I stand by MSI's products pre 754. I only buy locally so I get whats available. Was not impressed with Asus AV8, but Gigabyte is been just fine.

Feel free to take any amount of meaning from my posts, and I doubt Baron thinks Intel > a money dispensing machine.

All MSI products are ghey FULL STOP
January 29, 2007 6:26:14 AM

Ya Leadtek customer support is bar none horrible. I used to have a 6800gt a year ago that got messed up. Took them a month to fix and and when I got it back the fan was still chirping and it didnt work. When I had bought the card it was $350. Stay away from Leadtek, I will never go with them again.
February 2, 2007 1:21:40 AM

Quote:

All MSI products are ghey FULL STOP

fully agree, their wireless prodcuts are a nice example, they fail at everything. :/ 
February 2, 2007 1:49:44 AM

Well then they have gone down hill since last I have used them (socket A)
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2007 9:22:26 AM

Quote:
Well then they have gone down hill since last I have used them (socket A)

I have never had a decent MSI product, Socket 370 and before.
!