Sign in with
Your question

Boot problem with P5W DH - Help please

Last response: in Motherboards
November 14, 2006 5:02:50 PM

Hi everyone, sorry for my english it’s not very good.

It’s been one month since I’ve built my new computer and I have a problem which I couldn’t have fixed yet.

My systems specs are:

CPU: Intel Core2Duo e6600
MotherBoard: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
RAM: 2x1GB DDR2 TeamXtreem 800Mhz (4-4-4-10) – Before I had 2x1GB DDR2 GEIL 800Mhz (5-5-5-15)
Primary HDD: Western Digital Raptor 74GB
Data HDD: 2 x Western Digital 320GB in Raid 0
Power Supply: Hiper HPU-4M670-SU (Version 1) – Before I had Tacens Valeo Pro 600W
Graphic Card: Ati Sapphire X1900XT 512MB

The problem:

When I turn on my computer it makes 4 beeps (1 large and 3 short), and I get no POST screen (no signal on the monitor) but the fans are working. If I let it run a while in this mode and then restart it the computer boots well and then I can play, work, etc, with no problems. (Sometimes it takes me up to 3 or 4 restarts to boot it well).

Regarding to AMI bios beep codes: 1 large and 3 short mean: Memory test failure A fault has been detected in memory above 64KB.

I’ve tried inserting just one stick of memory in every slot of the motherboard (I’ve tried with all sticks I have). I thought it was a memory problem so I bought a new pair of Team Xtreem memory (before I had GEIL memory) and the problem persists.

I’ve also tried updating bios (first I had 1201, then updated to 1407 and yesterday I’ve updated to 1506). But nothing of this solved the problem.

I thought it could be a PSU problem so I have also tried changing the PSU (before I had Tacens Valeo Pro 600W) now I have Hiper HPU 4M670 which is supposed to be compatible with my graphic card
My computer passed satisfactory all tests I have run on it (BurnInTest Pro, Memtest, 3DMark06 and PCMark05).

The symptoms:

The matter is that all I have described before just happens when the computer has been some time turned off, I mean when it is working, if I turn it off and in five or ten minutes I turn it on, it boots well. If I turn it off and half an hour later I turn it on the computer makes the beeps and doesn’t boot well.

I don’t know what else to try or to do, the problem is still there and I would like to fix it as soon as it is possible.

I would appreciate your help.

More about : boot problem p5w

November 15, 2006 8:57:52 AM

It sounds like you covered everything... short of changing the motherboard. Maybe it's time to send it back - it could be you got a bad one.
!