Raptor see through window and antec nine hundred?

akajoshx1

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2006
Okay i have an antec nine hundred case which will be arriving to my house shortly. I also purchased a Western Digital Raptor X WD1500AHFD which has a see through window to see the innerworkings.

Now the dilemma is this.
Why the hell did i purchase this when i cant even see it???
I want to be able to show it off somehow, someone said something about vertical mounting but looking at my case i dont think this is possible. What do you think is the best idea to approach this situation.

I want to be able to see the hd spin. BOO HOO please help!
If it takes modifications i will modify it but i do not want to totally change a new antec case and mess it up in the process of doing this

G

Lol!

Stacker 831 is the only case I know to 'support' it

655a45f2eceae6eeea2f9c5c9cf937d3.jpg

Do some research on that HDD rack, maybe it works in other cases...Dont think it will be that's the best I can see!

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I've never heard of any case that supports vertical HDD's, but if you think you have mad skillz, you can try building a custom HDD cage in order to show off the hdd... however, hdd cages are covered in the Antec Nine-hundred since it only shows off the middle parts of the case...

Just run a cable to the outside of your computer and set the hdd there, then everyone can see it =P

belvdr

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I've never heard of any case that supports vertical HDD's

There are cases abound that support vertically mounted hard drives. Several server and disk trays come to mind, as well as many Dell cases do this still.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Find an old case and tear out the HDD rack. Creativity and zip ties are all you need to mount it nicely in a visible spot.

I cut one side of my old case's HDD rack off because it looked better that way.

akajoshx1

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2006
There are cases abound that support vertically mounted hard drives

thermaltake Aguila is one case to show off your raptor x

there are more.
Stacker 831 is the only case I know to 'support' it

I already got a antec nine hundred so buying another case is not an option.

Sofar doughbuy gave the best advice but running a cable outside my computer case defeats the whole purpose of me wanting to show it off INSIDE my computer case so that kinda fails.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
My idea works great. Other than figuring it out yourself, it is hard to suggest a good alternative with text and no physical case to look at for us.

Old case.

Find a case like this one and use a nibbler to cut a piece of the drive cage off. Use some zip ties or something that works to connect it to the side of your original drive cage. Just basically use the little part of the bracket to screw the Raptor to.

Best solution is just improvise something, if we all had the case and HDD in hand, we would all come up with a different solution, all of which would be hard to describe without some pictures.

G

Cool I will add it to my list of, invest in a case for your HD :?

Thanks for the input!

And myself would rather Raid some raptors then See the needle moving, gotta get boring at some point lol, extra mention for blinnng bliinngg though

tmac

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2004
Now the dilemma is this.
Why the hell did i purchase this when i cant even see it???
I want to be able to show it off somehow, someone said something about vertical mounting but looking at my case i dont think this is possible.

If all else fails, can u return it?
Because you're extra for that window, and it has a lower MTBF.

Ouch!

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Cool I will add it to my list of, invest in a case for your HD :?

Thanks for the input!

And myself would rather Raid some raptors then See the needle moving, gotta get boring at some point lol, extra mention for blinnng bliinngg though

Actually, my kids find it hypnotic and that alone made it a bargain.

akajoshx1

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2006

Ouch!

yeah i can return it i purchased it from new egg and they are very flexible about return policy. i havent even opened it yet so im pretty sure they will be more than hapy to take it back.

I think i can do vertical moutning on the side panel. instead of putting a fan there i can put the raptor there
11-129-021-06.jpg

right in the middle there.

or i can possibly dock it on the top of the case
11-129-021-08.jpg

where you usually put your camera and mp3's and such since i dont use it for that anyways

a few people said this case looks ugly as hell but i think its really good looking especially in the dark
11-129-021-16.jpg

still didnt know what the hell these are
11-129-021-14.jpg

anyways im pretty sure i can figure out something when i actually get the case. i'll be sure to post it after im done. maybe it might be an inspiration to some of you to rush and buy the raptor and antec ninehundred who knows

22-136-011-03.JPG

omg soo sexy[/img]

G

Lol, kids go watch the HD, daddy is busy!

It does seam pretty hypnotic.

ma2ha3

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
zalman zm-2hc2 hd coolers can be mounted on the left cover, if you drill 4 holes.
there is an installation movie in their web site
http://www.zalman.co.kr/
watch the end of the installation movie

just return the case. it will save you a lot of diy

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
That seems like a good idea, and uh, I've never heard of vertically mounted HDD bays on convential cases, I doubt he's gonna buy a server case so thats a non-factor =P

Of course, there's always the ghetto-rigging option, tape the hdd to the window, superglue it, shrug... whatever fits... but if there's a way you can remove the plastic tray on top, fit the hdd up there and run a cable through the case, that would probably look real nice. Maybe also run a led light so it shines on the hdd itself too... shrug

ma2ha3

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
you know that is a great idea

cut a big square hole on the top (where they put little stuff), cover the top with plastic, by super glue.
install the harddisk there. using the zalman cooler.
any obstruction should be saw away. put blue neon light.

you have a computer with a blue brain moving at super speed.

too much diy for me. i stick with a plain jane casing.

kalisti

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2006
lian-li cases (some) have vertical hdd mount racks in them, if you can get hold of one you maybe able to mount it in your case (you would need to saw off one side of the rack though) maybe better than returning hdd or getting new case, but good luck however you sort it :)

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
Don't get the raptor with the window. Get the one without. Here's why:
$50 less
significantly quiter
much better MTBF

Other than that its the same drive.

Ouch!

yeah i can return it i purchased it from new egg and they are very flexible about return policy. i havent even opened it yet so im pretty sure they will be more than hapy to take it back.

I think i can do vertical moutning on the side panel. instead of putting a fan there i can put the raptor there
11-129-021-06.jpg

right in the middle there.

or i can possibly dock it on the top of the case
11-129-021-08.jpg

where you usually put your camera and mp3's and such since i dont use it for that anyways

a few people said this case looks ugly as hell but i think its really good looking especially in the dark
11-129-021-16.jpg

still didnt know what the hell these are
11-129-021-14.jpg

anyways im pretty sure i can figure out something when i actually get the case. i'll be sure to post it after im done. maybe it might be an inspiration to some of you to rush and buy the raptor and antec ninehundred who knows

22-136-011-03.JPG

omg soo sexy[/img]

Sweet looks like there is a FDD holder.....maybe i can get that case :)

11-129-021-14.jpg

can you conferm a FDD/Card Reader can be mounted in there?

If so maybe you can mount the drive below it....then put that in...and you will have a hold with the drive below it....but it will not be a great view.....but its a start....

bberson

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
I find it funny that people keep giving case suggestions when the OP has already gotten the nine houndred and wants to make that work. :?
Maybe, but he stated in a prior message that he may be able to return the case. The 900 is a nice case for sure, but apparently his choice to have the whole case revolve around that Raptor is a substantial problem.

akajoshx1

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2006
I find it funny that people keep giving case suggestions when the OP has already gotten the nine houndred and wants to make that work.

yes yur right. I already purchased the nine hundred and im trying to come up with ways to modify the case so that the see through raptor is visible.

You guys are free to give other case suggestions but my mind is fixed on the antec nine hundred.