Random Lag Spikes.

shadow88

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
Firstly.
Router::: WRT54G w/ HyperWRT 2.0 firmware.
Wireless Card ::: WMP54G
Distance between the two::: about 15feet through at least a floor and a wall.

So, I get random lag spikes. For what reason I have no idea :( Do I need a wireless repeater in my upstairs to reduce lag?!?!

Just as another note... I have the latest drivers for my wireless card too.

Where I most notice this is playing any FPS game online where network speed is cruical.

Anyone have any input?

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
What kind of signal strength and speed are you showing?

Do you have the same problem if you are in the same room?

Remember wireless can not send/receive at the same time.

Is the WMP54G antenna being blocked by the PC case?

tylerdurke

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Well, for me the signal strength is excellent, and at the moment while I'm trying to figure this out the antenna is about 1 foot away from the router, however it would probably be otherwise unavoidable having the PC case block the antenna since it's we are using PCI adapters.

The speed is fine, it's just that for instance when I ping my dsl modem for a few minutes, every 30 seconds or so(sometimes more), a 1000ms+ spike crops up. Because of this, online gaming is damn near ruined altogether. :(

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Antennas to close together can cause problems too. I set mine at the lowest power possiable to maintain an excellent signal strength.

It all most sounds like you are hitting a buffer full state. What is the lease time set for? Could it be needing refreshing?

Is there a cordless phone or other radio equipment around?

Have you run NetStumbler for any length of time to see if something is in the area. I have a stray that keeps tring to connect to my AP once every couple of weeks. Havn't been able to locate where its coming from.