New build startup issues

Wongataa

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
I have just built my latest computer system and have run into a problem on starting up the machine. I have succesfully built computers before.

I have a Abit KN9 Ultra motherboard, AMD dual processor 3800+ AM2 processor, 2x1GB sticks of DD2 800 Corsair RAM, a 600W thermaltake PSU, and a Palit Geforce 7600GT graphics card.

I put all these together and used arctic silver 5 thermal paste between the CPU and heatsink. On powering up the system for the first time the Abit logo screen appeared on my monitor and it said to press DEL to enter setup so I did and nothing happened. I turned it off and on powering up again the logo screen appeared and pressing buttons on my keyboard didn't do anything. Same thing happened with one stick of ram and when trying the ram in different slots.

Any ideas on how to get the system working?

mad-dog

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
Have you tried plugging the keyboard in...?
Just kiddin, but you never know....
Is the keyboard a plug n play or does it require software drivers to operate...?
You may have to obtain a plug/play keyboard to load the OS then install your keyboard drivers....

desolationw

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
i don't thin your computer can recognise the keyboard, is it a wireless or need drivers?

and used arctic silver 5 thermal paste between the CPU and heatsink

did you use the stock heatsink? it already has thermal paste on it, just asking incase you've got two layers which won't help at all

Wongataa

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
I dindn't use a stock heatsink. I got a Zalman one so no thermal paste was on it before installation. As for my keyboard it is a basic PS/2 one and yes it was plugged in.