Canon FB610 drivers req'd for Win XP Home

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
September 2, 2005 8:58:23 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.scanners,alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

G'day

I know my Canon FB610 scanner is a dinosaur but it's only had about 4-5
hours of use since I bought it new about 6-7 years ago. Since I
upgraded my notebook last year and now running WinXPHome I'm wanting to
know if anyone has, or knows where I can get, drives for this O/S
please? The drivers I have are V1.04 and not compatible with XP.

I've tried the Canon site, even phoned them, and they do not support
this model scanner any longer. Any thoughts? Or helpful suggestions?
please ;-))

TIA
Bronwyn ;-)
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 8:58:24 PM

"HC" <IHateSpam@home.com> wrote in message
> G'day
>
> I know my Canon FB610 scanner is a dinosaur but it's only had about 4-5
> hours of use since I bought it new about 6-7 years ago. Since I upgraded
> my notebook last year and now running WinXPHome I'm wanting to know if
> anyone has, or knows where I can get, drives for this O/S please? The
> drivers I have are V1.04 and not compatible with XP.
>
> I've tried the Canon site, even phoned them, and they do not support this
> model scanner any longer. Any thoughts? Or helpful suggestions? please
> ;-))
>
> TIA
> Bronwyn ;-)

If you have the original software CD and all of the original parts. And
everything works in Windows 98 SE.

One suggestion:
Get a used Windows 98 machine and put the scanner on the Windows 98 machine.
Man, you can buy Windows 98 machines for dirt.

If both machines have Ethernet, file transfer is easy.
To connect two computers without a hub, use a crossover cable.

Another suggestion:
Another thing that you can do is put a dual boot Windows 98 SE/Windows XP on
your laptop.

Install Windows 98 SE first, then install Windows XP. Windows XP has no
problem with creating a dual boot system.

All you need is enough hard drive space and both Windows installation CDs.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.scanners,alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

Success finally!!! Don't ask me how, or why it didn't work before,
because I don't know. While I'm not one to give in easily, I do know
when I've spent more than enough time on things and it's time to admit
defeat and I was at that point last night (Sat). This morning I turned
on my notebook planning to take notes from these photos that need to be
scanned because that would at least be a start on this project.
Suddenly I realised the scanner icon didn't have the Red X through
it......then I find it's working on the original drivers that I have on
CD (V1.02). I will leave well enough alone and not persist with the
downloaded drivers (V1.04) or the other one suggested for the FP620
model, it's working so that's the main thing.

Yes, it is a parallel scanner because the notebook I had back then only
had parallel.....it was preUSB too! I've scanned a couple of photos
this morning with great results, even printed one in B&W at double the
original size and it looks good. The oldest of this group of photos is
over 50 years old and although the scanner is really slow, the results
are quite acceptable.

Thanks to everyone who replied with suggestions......I only wish the
!@#$% scanner had decided to work 4 days ago when I first tried to get
this project underway.

Bronwyn ;-)

!