Sign in with
Your question

[PROBLEM] need to Wireless connect a Repeater to Router

Last response: in Networking
March 3, 2006 2:30:05 PM

Hello people,

I recently purchased a repeater/bridge or whatever u want to call it. Its a Buffalo WLA2-G54L. this was used to boost the signal so that it would reach my Sister who lives next door to me.

the wireless router that im usin is a Buffalo wyr-g54. i have tried to connect the Access Point to this router but have failed to do so..

i have:
set the ip on the bridge to 192.168.11.100
its default subnet mask to 255.255.255.0
its gateway as blank

its SSID to match the wireless router
its channel to match the wireless router
and finally its WEP encryption to match the wireless router

i dont know what else to do.. can someone please help me solve this annoying problem.
March 3, 2006 4:35:23 PM

Will, have not used a repeter, even though My USR5450 AP supports it.

The SSID should be different than the router. Their should be a section to add association, router SSID and WPA. I hope you are using WPA-TKIP instead of wep. In the assoication you will enter the SSID of the Router and WPA security keys and the Other AP (pc's) that will connect to the bridge/repeter.

You may want to take your system over to your sisters and set it up to connect through her system. Then relocate it back home.

Make sure MAC filter is not active, if so add your computer to the allowed list.

As a rule if you are have connections problems drop of the wpa, firewalls till a connection can be made, then add them back.
March 5, 2006 10:35:56 AM

hello Blue68F100,
thank you for the reply. i have changed the ssid of the repeater/bridge but do not have an option on the setup config for association of the Router, is there any other way...

and also could you explain what static routing is, cuz this may be of help to me.. also i have a WDS option on the bridge but not the router. In the WDS setup it asks for WDS MAC address of partners? if this is any help could u explain what i should do.
Related resources
March 5, 2006 2:01:54 PM

hello Blue68F100,
thank you for the reply. i have changed the ssid of the repeater/bridge and removed the security mode, but do not have an option on the setup config for association of the Router, is there any other way...

and also could you explain what static routing is, cuz this may be of help to me.. also i have a WDS option on the bridge but not the router. In the WDS setup it asks for WDS MAC address of partners? if this is any help could u explain what i should do.
March 5, 2006 3:20:14 PM

You should use the WDS function to extened your network. If you want to tie 2 existing networks you need 2 wds units to set up a true bridge.
If SSID is turned off on the router, turn it back on, to make it easier to find your AP. You will enter the MAC address of your sister wirless router. Page 8 of the manual explans the settings.
This will set up an association beteen the two. If you are having a problem establishing a connection tempory drop the WPA. Just remember to add it back end.
!