Sign in with
Your question

Can we have multimedia benchmarks for CPU charts?

Last response: in Site Feedback
October 15, 2009 10:42:01 AM

Can we get some kind of multimedia benchmarks specifically HF video playback in the CPU charts like we used to have? I assume they were removed becuase with Hardware Acceleration (HA) for HD in new GPUs it was considered irrelevant.

I would like to argue that it is relevant will become more relevant in future. In order of increasing importance:

1. Not everyone has or can get HA working well for HD (bluray or x264), e.g. integrated GPUs (very common in HTPCs) don't always do it - and you could upgrade the CPU more easily than building a whole new system.

2. Not all HD video supports HA - e.g. Matroska files with x264 video, have patchy support for HA playback if at all. Plus you might not be able to get the software configuration working - it can be a real pain.

3. HA playback disables image controls (brightness, contrast, gamma), giving a "basic" image quality - sort of like the lowest common denominator. Like with DVD's where HA was popular at first, good software bluray players like PowerDVD or Arcsoft total media theater now provide image controls with automatic real time enhancement, giving fantastic image quality but only without HA.

So I think for multimedia enthusiasts (admitedly like me) HD video playback is very relevant in picking a CPU.

It would be ideal if we could an "unassisted" or "non-hardware accelerated" HD video playback benchmark in the CPU charts. All that's needed is installing one of these software players and disabling HA.

Any thoughts?
a b à CPUs
October 15, 2009 2:59:56 PM

No, not really since decoding parallel tasks on a GPU is much more efficient than on a CPU. A humble HD 4370 does around the same HD job than an i7.
October 15, 2009 3:16:40 PM

My whole point was that it may be efficient to use the GPU but the picture quality is not up to par, for a demanding Media Centre Set up.

So yes I know it does decoding, but it doesn't do good decoding which is why people who have the power to spare disable HA from the GPU and do the decoding in software.

When DVD decoding was new, the same thing happened. We didn't have CPU enough power so we used HA from the GPU, then we had enough to spare so we use software decoding which enables real time image processing and delivers superior quality, upscaling etc. Today no enthusiast uses HA for DVD's but they use it for bluray - increasingly that's going away too.

So I really don't see your objection.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 15, 2009 3:36:40 PM

Decoding is fine, it's encoding that's the problem.
October 15, 2009 6:54:40 PM

We already have several encoding and transcoding benchmarks in the charts. We have no decoding benchmarks. Any more objections?
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2009 5:05:53 AM

I'm just saying, most modern IGPs and graphics cards have enough decoding abilites.

Quote:
Of course, the 785G offered significantly more video enhancement options than the G41 if you like to play with that stuff. Vector Adaptive de-interlacing, pulldown detection, edge enhancement, de-noise, dynamic contrast, color vibrance, flesh tone correction

source

Is that enough features?

1. Most modern IGPs do support HA for Blu-Ray. If not, they can add a discrete graphics card such as a HD 4350 or a GT 220 for not a large sum of money.

2. It's more to do with the software rather than hardware. You just have to choose the right software with acceleration support. x264 is an open source library for encoding video videos... I think you just have the facts mixed up. H.264 or MPEG4 is the result of the encoding. Matroska files are just the container for the H.264 files. HA will work given you have the right software.

3. HA doesn't disable the controls, it's all integrated into ATi Catalyst, Nvidia Control Panel or whatever Intel uses.

a b à CPUs
October 16, 2009 5:15:03 AM

Quote:
For those interested in MKV / x.264 GPU based content acceleration, playback and image quality enhancements, please read this guide we have written. We spotted this lovely little free application to manage this.

Here's an example of that, a 1080p MKV movie being accelerated and enhanced over the embedded motherboard GPU, observe processor load please.

source

Seriously?

That and we all know that discrete graphics not only have better decoding abilities but more shader horsepower.
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2009 5:21:53 AM

We don't need such a benchmark because:

IGP video comparison

Sure, it's not perfect. but if you want perfect, get a discrete card. Something like a HD 4670.
October 16, 2009 8:02:19 AM

Really this is getting annoying.

I suspect you simply have a problem with people having different views to yours.

The fact that you ascribe ignorance to me, without having properly understood what I'm talking about is annoying. The fact that you obviously have a peripheral knowledge of the topic, and are trying to pass it off as expertise is even more annoying.

I guess you read a lot of reviews and articles and so consider yourself an expert in something you have obviously never actually done. If you had you'd know why you make no sense. I'm not going to try to explain it to you.

Since I've set up quite a few HTPC's and also know a few actual experts, I think I'll stick to my experience and let you stick to your "opinions".

Bye now.
October 16, 2009 8:06:22 AM

Damn, I just realized I'm arguing with a 14 year old.

Anyone else have anything to say? Maybe anyone from Bestofmedia?
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2009 8:32:21 AM

I don't have a problem with people with different views.

I'm just saying that HA isn't half bad.

Besides, where in all my posts do I ever even suggest I'm an expert at HTPCs?

a b à CPUs
October 16, 2009 8:41:51 AM

Expect to wait for 2010 before it even gets considered. The charts get updated... once a year?
October 16, 2009 12:14:27 PM

Thanks, that's very useful.

No problem with waiting, 2010 is just a quarter away :-)

I do think it would be useful to add this benchmark in, media centre fans increasingly need more horsepower and this is all they do with their CPU's.

The other thing that might be relevant and come to think of it, I'm surprised is not included, is heat and power consumption data.
This is of great interest to HTPC builders and usually gets measured when you test new CPUs so it might be available anyway.
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2009 12:22:28 PM

I don't think it will be until at least Q2 2010 before it gets updated, maybe even Q3. I don't know when the 2009 charts were updated, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't recently. 2008 charts were updated in Q3 08.
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2009 1:07:00 PM

dimitrik said:
Thanks, that's very useful.

No problem with waiting, 2010 is just a quarter away :-)

I do think it would be useful to add this benchmark in, media centre fans increasingly need more horsepower and this is all they do with their CPU's.

The other thing that might be relevant and come to think of it, I'm surprised is not included, is heat and power consumption data.
This is of great interest to HTPC builders and usually gets measured when you test new CPUs so it might be available anyway.

From what you've been saying, I think an article about the quality difference between HA and non-HA might be interesting...

Tom's normally has a few 'delays' in making charts.

I know power consumption is hard to measure tho... that is, of each part. For that to happen you'd need the closest to a scientific test.

It wouldn't be just useful for HTPC users but rather most computer users...

Maybe if possible like a consumption chart for each part of the PC.

Would help heaps in choosing a PSU!
October 17, 2009 12:54:44 AM

Solution? Dont buy Intel IGPs
a b à CPUs
October 17, 2009 1:45:48 AM

^ LOL! True. As for HTPC work, a cheap 4650 or a bit less (of the current gen cards) will work.
a b à CPUs
October 17, 2009 3:44:12 AM

Anything will work...

Almost.
!