Please tell me this is a joke

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Is this really what a P190 is going to look like? This totally goes against what the P180 was made for. The two top fans and one side fan/opening are just going to let noise out. What a PoS 8O

http://www.pcpop.com/doc/0/159/159511.shtml

000349924.jpg

G

Not a joke...not out either...

The 2 top are good IMO, the side not sure.

If I remember they use a new material in the door, fiber glass?instead of foam, suppose to do a better job at absorbing vibration/noise.

Anyhow I don't care that much for the P180 8)

falloutman

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2005
dude, i dunno what your talking about, there looks pretty cool. now since there are 2 120mm fans on the top, i wont have to drill out a hole fro my 240mm radiator.

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
dude, i dunno what your talking about, there looks pretty cool. now since there are 2 120mm fans on the top, i wont have to drill out a hole fro my 240mm radiator.

I don't know what you're talking about either because you can seem to communicate in English.

The P180 is a good case because it has good cooling, it's quiet and it doesn't have 3000 fans on it that you can see. The P190 just goes against all of the stuff that the P180 was made to do. Sure it's going to be cool but it won't be as quiet and it has three big holes in it for fans.

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
It's a nice look. I'll bet that there is more to the fan opening then what you can see in the picture. I wouldn't be suprised if there is more behind the mesh that is designed to dampen noise.

If there was anything behind the grilles it would block airflow, make it more turbulent and make it louder. Just looks like standard P180 grilles.....

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
It may not be as quiet as the P180 but it looks like it will be cooler. I can live with a noisy case. With the look that the P180 and 190 have i would take it noisy or not.

Side fans don't really have that much impact upon heat in a case anyway. I don't see how the second top fan is going to make that much difference either. The P180 already has a good deal of airflow anyway. If you've got a graphics card which exhausts it's heat straight out that back the two fans top and rear should be able to take care of the rest of the heat. That's not even counting the fan at the back of the HDD case.

qwertycopter

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
Don't judge a case before its released. The ninehundred case is suprisingly quiet despite its open design. More (big) fans means you can run each fan slower, which means less noise per fan. I'm also assuming the fans use a dampening kits and are among Antec's quietest, as is their style.

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Don't judge a case before its released. The ninehundred case is suprisingly quiet despite its open design. More (big) fans means you can run each fan slower, which means less noise per fan. I'm also assuming the fans use a dampening kits and are among Antec's quietest, as is their style.

The P180 fans don't use dampening kits and as far as I can see all of those fans are fixed in with screws.

Check out XYZcomputing's review, they have some hands-on during DigitalLife @ NYC- better pics and better details.

Antec at DigitalLife- New Cases and More @ xyzcomputing.com[/url]"]The real surpise of the P190 is the use of included dual power supplies!
p190_04.jpg

The PSU area was completely revamped and it slated to include dual power supplies, one for the video card and one for the motherboard and other components. Antec reps made it very clear that these are not redundant power supplies, just a way to split the load between two units rather than using one very expensive power supply. The total wattage is rumored to be about 1200W between the two "Neo-Link" units. No price has been announced yet, but expect it to be about, maybe even over, $400. This case was designed with the hardcore enthusiast and the quad-SLI user in mind.

Sweet mother of pearl! Dual PSU's!! :trophy:
Antec will be my new hero if this case is offered with the PSUs as optional.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
No one needs Dual PSU's... I repeat, no one needs Dual PSU's... well, maybe the same people who want Dual CPU's, but computers aren't gonna use up much more power than they use now... especially after the specs for DX10 cards are out, and they're nowhere near what everyone feared.

As for the case, there's so many cases out there, some change is good. I'll wait for the final revision to come out and then see if it's worthy of being my case. As of now, the Antec Nine-Hundred is on the fast track to being my next case of choice.

mkaibear

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
>totally goes against what the P180 was about

I disagree. That case will allow the use of a big fan directly over the CPU heatsink, which will in turn allow you to use less of a fan on the CPU itself - if you get a decent silent heatsink this won't add to the noise, it will just reduce the heat.

Similarly the top fans are nice and big and will allow the case to dissipate heat easily without a great deal of noise.

The challenge will be managing airflow to avoid turbulence, I think.

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
No one needs Dual PSU's... I repeat, no one needs Dual PSU's... well, maybe the same people who want Dual CPU's, but computers aren't gonna use up much more power than they use now... especially after the specs for DX10 cards are out, and they're nowhere near what everyone feared.

As for the case, there's so many cases out there, some change is good. I'll wait for the final revision to come out and then see if it's worthy of being my case. As of now, the Antec Nine-Hundred is on the fast track to being my next case of choice.

Agree. Better to have one decent PSU anyway. Means you have half the chance of a failure.

I think the only possible use for this monstosity is for people silly enough to go the 4x4 route who need the extra space and cooling. With the PSU in it's own chamber in the P180 and two big 120mm fans near the CPU you won't have any problem cooling 99% of systems with a decent heatsink and fan combo.

>totally goes against what the P180 was about

I disagree. That case will allow the use of a big fan directly over the CPU heatsink, which will in turn allow you to use less of a fan on the CPU itself - if you get a decent silent heatsink this won't add to the noise, it will just reduce the heat.

Similarly the top fans are nice and big and will allow the case to dissipate heat easily without a great deal of noise.

The challenge will be managing airflow to avoid turbulence, I think.

As I said the only possible need for that 2nd fan is to cool a 2nd CPU on a 4x4 board. Otherwise it's just there taking cool air out of the case before it can get to the CPU of all those non 4x4 systems.

People on silentpcreview are already b1tching about how bad this case is going to be for noise compared to the P180

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Better to have one decent PSU anyway. Means you have half the chance of a failure.
Both true and not, if your current PSU is running close to 100% capacity, adding a second to load balance for 50% each both units will have a much longer lifespan.

The skill in building a PC is in trying to cater for future upgrades :)

the extra fans @ 5 volts will not make as much a of a difference as you think :)

i like it :p

last time i checked it was sonata that was made for quiet....and p180 for performance....@ full speed even the P180 is loud.....

blueeyesm

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Looking at the size of the fans, and the various pics, it looks like they won't be running full out. The idea of using large fans is to cut down on the rpm rate, thus reducing noise. At any rate, if noise if paramount, you can

A) - disconnect a fan and let convection do its job
B) - reduce the fans rpm rate even further with a variable resistor
C) - Don't buy this case! :D

I can see why Atec designed the case for dual PSUs (so that the video card has its own dedicated power supply - but I'd have rather had redundancy + the ability to meet hungry power needs) but it does seem kind of redundant with bigger supply output on the way.

Sure, its possible to get two cheap supplies for the price of one higher quality, higher output, but a lot of enthusiasts learn their lesson about cheap no-name supplies.

I can see why Atec designed the case for dual PSUs (so that the video card has its own dedicated power supply - but I'd have rather had redundancy + the ability to meet hungry power needs) but it does seem kind of redundant with bigger supply output on the way.
I don't think I have seen a "mission critical" desktop PC in my life. Some workstations, maybe and those that do would probably have dedicated hardware RAID as a preferred first option since data loss prevention is usually a higher priority. Having 99.9% uptime on the PSU does not help when your hdd is dead :wink: Of course, budget allowing do both :p A more cost-feasible solution may be a simple UPS w/ AVR device. It can power both non-redundant PSUs and allow safe shutdown when there are utility issues...

Sure, its possible to get two cheap supplies for the price of one higher quality, higher output, but a lot of enthusiasts learn their lesson about cheap no-name supplies.
Two seperate issues. I used Antec and Zippy/Emacs PSUs in both of my setups. I do 100% agree, !powmax in all instances...

function9

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
Is this really what a P190 is going to look like? This totally goes against what the P180 was made for. The two top fans and one side fan/opening are just going to let noise out. What a PoS
Nope. Unfortunately this and the 900 are all too real. Seems Antec feels they need to tap into the "OMFG, ITS GOT LEDs, WINDOWS (AND A BIG FAN). THIS RUL3Z!!! ROFL!!!" market of cases. I think they've lost a bit of street cred from these two cases. :wink:

Though I do believe the p190 can take an EATX board. Which would give Opteron/Xeon users a pretty good option.

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Is this really what a P190 is going to look like? This totally goes against what the P180 was made for. The two top fans and one side fan/opening are just going to let noise out. What a PoS
Nope. Unfortunately this and the 900 are all too real. Seems Antec feels they need to tap into the "OMFG, ITS GOT LEDs, WINDOWS (AND A BIG FAN). THIS RUL3Z!!! ROFL!!!" market of cases. I think they've lost a bit of street cred from these two cases. :wink:

Though I do believe the p190 can take an EATX board. Which would give Opteron/Xeon users a pretty good option.

Exactly. A couple of years ago I bought a 1080AMG with a clear side window and an blue LED fan on the side as well as a blue LED PSU. Now I'm more mature I bought a P180 and I don't intend on pimping it and making myself look like a 13 year old who is sexually attracted to silly lights and see through things.

G

The large fan must help cooling otherwise they wouldn't put it. It's not the first antec case and they're probably going for another market...Thats it.

If you don't like it just don't buy it. I don't think it will replace the P180 anyway.

And it does look good to me, no where near a monstrosity!
Anyhow Im sold to SilverStone, not a big fan of the P180 in the first place, and I don't think cooling is THAT great, the design is sweet but it doesn't move a lot of air around.

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
I don't intend on pimping it and making myself look like a 13 year old who is sexually attracted to silly lights and see through things.

Well you act like a 13 year old.

There's no need to be rude. I thought we were all adults on this forum.....

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
What's your definition of adult? Maturity-wise, age-wise, or legal-wise...

I would say legally-wise I would be an adult, but not really age-wise since I can't drink... maturity-wise it's still debateble...

I say, if I can be tried in court as an adult, I should get the same priveleges as all other adults, i.e. if I get tried the same as someone who can drink, than by golly I should be able to go out and drink. America's legal system stinks...