NT Service registry error! please reboot NT and run again

any ideas why it is doing this

here is my system

Thermaltake PSU 550W
XP Pro
AMD X2 4200+ Dual Core CPU
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
2 GB OCZ Ram
XFX 7600 256MB (EVGA Geforce 7800 GTX 256 MB currently RMAing)
Sound Blaster Audigy 4
Plextor DVDR PX-716A
Maxtor 6L300SO 300GB SATA
Western Digital WD3200KS-00PFB0 320GB SATA 3.0
Viewsonic VX922 19" LCD Monitor
Bose 2.1 Speakers
Thermaltake Armor Series VA8000BWS Black Aluminum/Steel ATX Case

mad-dog

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
"start">"settings">"control panel">"administrative tools">"event viewer"
look for more clues to help diagnose the error message.....
also check for hardware compatability issues...

pip_75

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2005
here is one thing that shows up

The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort4, did not respond within the timeout period.

that shows up a couple of times in the event viewer

that has something to do with my dvd drive right?

I seem to remember the update program working before I installed my sound card could that be what causes it to not work?

another question I have is sometimes when I start up my computer it will show the desktop with nothing on it and if I log out and log back in it usually fixes it

any idea what causes that?

mad-dog

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort4, did not respond within the timeout period.
that shows up a couple of times in the event viewer,
that has something to do with my dvd drive right?
Possibly, hard to tell from where I'm sitting but most likely.
I seem to remember the update program working before I installed my sound card could that be what causes it to not work?
Please tell me you didn't install a Creative sound card, they are one of the biggest hardware/software conflicts you can install....we can probably stop here with the diagnosis, but let's continue
another question I have is sometimes when I start up my computer it will show the desktop with nothing on it and if I log out and log back in it usually fixes it
any idea what causes that?
Not right off the top of my head, but it don't sound good...
Let's get that sound card/software outta there and see what happens

SPARTAN-117

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
We can probably eliminate the sound card as a problem source as that puppy has nothing to do with a BIOS flash at all. mad-dog's right about SB sound cards having issuses but from what I can tell 90% are just drivers issues. Is ASUS Update a software update program that you run from the desktop (read: came on mobo install disk as a program that allows a BIOS flash w/o use of an FDD)? If so, CEASE AND DESIST ALL CURRENT AND FUTURE BIOS FLASHES WITH THIS UTILITY. REASON BEING THAT A FLASH FROM THE DESKTOP HAS A GREATER THAN 60% CHANCE OF CORRUPTING YOUR BIOS CHIP AND ALL HARDWARE ATTACHED TO THE MOBO 8O . Now's the time to have a FDD drive. Now even though FDD's are ancient, they are the absolute best way to flash your BIOS. Reason being, everything is shutoff except for your FDD and BIOS during a this type of flash, whereas during a flash from the desktop everything is running.

Hope this helps!

pip_75

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2005
Sometimes when I am playing games like the new FSX or Oblivion, after about 5 or 10 minutes or so I get a blue screen of death that flashes on my screen and before I can read anything on it my computer restarts. Could this be a memory problem or is it something else?