Sign in with
Your question

Thermal Paste for Conroe - Do I Need it?

Last response: in CPUs
November 14, 2006 10:52:21 PM

I'm building a new rig with an E6700 in an NZXT Apollo case with 3 120mm fans and a Radeon X1950XT. Do I need to buy thermal paste for it, or do anything else to keep it cool. Does the processor itself come with thermal paste?
EDIT: OK, I now know the processor comes with thermal paste and a heatsink. Does anyone who owns a Core 2 Duo know if I should upgrade these to aftermarket parts and if so, which ones?

More about : thermal paste conroe

November 14, 2006 11:29:23 PM

the heatsink has thermal paste on it already
November 14, 2006 11:35:04 PM

Quote:
Does the processor itself come with thermal paste?

yes and no. if you going to purchase an oem version no it doesnt, ya have to purchase an heat sink and fan and thermo paste seperate. If ya going to purchase an retail(boxed) version the heat sink comes with heat tape stuck to it.(or they used 2). But either way it is good to have some thermo paste on hand just in case.(4 now or later down the road). Hope this helps :?:
Related resources
November 14, 2006 11:39:56 PM

Quote:
EDIT: OK, I now know the processor comes with thermal paste and a heatsink. Does anyone who owns a Core 2 Duo know if I should upgrade these to aftermarket parts and if so, which ones?
the stock parts are fine unless you are going to do some extreme OC :!:
November 14, 2006 11:57:36 PM

Yea, if you're not going to overclock at all, the stock should be fine. But it's only 30 bucks for a thermaltake big typhoon, and they rock at keeping your cpu temps low, even with a high overclock. I'd get the better cooler just for peace of mind.
a b à CPUs
November 15, 2006 12:05:42 AM

Yea its a good idea to buy some thermal paste coz if you need to reseat the HS, you need to replace the thermal paste coz it'll have air bubbles in it (unless you twist it like crazy when you put it back on).
!