Widescreen with games a good idea?

johaness9

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2006
Do recent games generally support widescreen? Bc if it doesnt, then youd get bars, and then wouldnt you be better off getting a regular non widescreen of the same size for more resolution?

jodo

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
you don't get bars, you just get a slightly stretched picture...but most games allow you to set a resolution in the .ini file so its fine.

GrimReaperGuy

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
Most, if not all recent games support widescreen fully. You neither get a stretched picture nor bars. In a 3D game, such as Oblivion, your field of view is adjusted to correspond to the new resolution. Of note, Unreal Tournament 2004 does not support widescreen, simply stretching the view.

Parge

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
to be honest, if you use your rig mainly for gaming I would stick with 4:3. Modifying .ini files so your games will fit the screen is just another hassle.

Maybe in a few years games may start defaulting to widescreen or there will be more widespread use of it.

mikeett

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2006
Some games do support widescreen resolutions, others don't.
Games that do not support widescreen resolutions sometimes have workarounds for getting widescreen, some don't.

But heck, get a really BIG WS-monitor and live with stretched picture or bars for games that do not support widescreen 'cause games that do support WS really makes it worthwhile...

BF2 is one modern game that doesn't support widescreen but u can zoom picture (loosing some top and bottom of the pic) or stretch it...

P.S for more info about widesceen gaming there is a dedicated forum
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com

yakyb

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
i use a 20'' widescreen and was a little concerned about this however i have experienced 0 problems so far the screen is magnificent

any problems you do have should be addressed here tho
Widescreen Gaming

edit lol mikeett didnt read your post you posted the link before me