P5B-E tech question/problem?

Graewulf

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2006
A question for the gurus out there. I have a new system with the P5B-E mobo, E6600 Core 2 Duo, 2 Gb of Corsair PC6400 RAM, and a 7900 GS Vid card. I'm getting a weird lock up on occasion (it's happened 5 or 6 times in the last 2 weeks). I'll be playing a game (it's happened on CoD2 and NWN2) and the comp just freezes and I get an awful screeching sound in my headphones. No keys work and task manager won't open up.

Restarting the comp is the only thing that works. I was using the onboard sound when it did it the first time and I thought that may be it, so I got a soundcard (I was going to anyway, since the onboard sound sucks). It happened again after that, got a driver error the next time it happened, so I rolled back my video drivers to 91.47. Still does it. Is my mobo just screwed up?

Thanks for ANY help with this!

snapfisher

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2006
I have the almost identical setup, except with Kingston memory and have had no problems. Check the memory compatibiity charts and bios revision. If you are overclocking the ram, you might want to scale it back a bit.