.exe extension problem

G

Hey guys. I got a friend who's got an interesting problem. For some reason, I do not know why or how, in her computer the extension .exe is no longer an executable file, it's set to open with a program SirCt32(might be a little different, i'm doing this from memory), but that program is no where in her computer. Problem is windows won't let me fix it, it won't let me edit the .exe extension. I was thinking that maybe they're listed in the registry, but then I remembered that any program doesn't work, unless it's set to start up with the computer, or it's internet explorer. Any ideas would be helpful.

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
In Windows Explorer, click on Tools/Folder Options/File Types. If EXE is listed as a file type then delete it.

:smile: <font color=green>I wonder...what is the speed of gravity!<font color=green> :smile:

G

Boot in to DOS and rename regedit.exe to regedit.com, should work

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
You cant just rename it and hope to be rid of the virus!!, renaming it allows you to open regedit and start to repair it.

you can read about it <A HREF="http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sircam.worm@mm.html" target="_new">HERE</A>, theres also a link there for a removal tool on that page.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers